Our mg4 is dead

Hi our mg4 ev is dead it will not unlock and the mechanical key does not work can anyone help
What happened when you tried the manual key - did it not fit ? I notice that all the videos I've seen on this never show how to actually "unlock" using the key, they only show how to access the lock and the key. I presume you insert the key and turn it and then pull the handle ?

Happened to me last week. The 12v battery will be dead. Call the AA under your MG service cover, free.
How did the AA get in out of interest ? or did they transport it to a dealer.

Is the MG4 delivered with a garbage 12v battery? I get the 12V battery level low error once in a while. I recently bought myself a £250 battery from Bosch to swap with the original.

Is the MG4 delivered with a garbage 12v battery? I get the 12V battery level low error once in a while. I recently bought myself a £250 battery from Bosch to swap with the original.
A lot of the time it's down to bad connections. The cars are delivered to the docks with the 12v battery disconnected for safety and reconnected to move the car, probably not securely. If a dealer then does not do their job properly at PDI and check the connections, then....voila, bad battery life.

All sorted AA sorted it but still needs to go to dealer the issue was battery dead and we didn’t know how to use mechanical key because never had to use before

Did you trickle charge it to 100% before fitting it?
Did you get an AGM or LFP battery?

All sorted AA sorted it but still needs to go to dealer the issue was battery dead and we didn’t know how to use mechanical key because never had to use before
So how do we use it ? it would benefit others in the same situation to know. Might be worth us all having a trial run at using it just in case !

So how do we use it ? it would benefit others in the same situation to know. Might be worth us all having a trial run at using it just in case !
It is explained in the user manual.
1698929681496.png

I’ve just tried it. The key needs turning about 45 degrees clockwise (right hand drive car) against quite a strong spring force then pull the handle. There is no klick or anything from the key to tell you when you have turned enough. If there is any charge in the 12v battery the alarm will go off as you open the door.

What happened when you tried the manual key - did it not fit ? I notice that all the videos I've seen on this never show how to actually "unlock" using the key, they only show how to access the lock and the key. I presume you insert the key and turn it and then pull the handle ?

How did the AA get in out of interest ? or did they transport it to a dealer.
I managed to get in with manual key, bit of a faff but watched a YouTube video and did it. Disconnected the battery myself and left it hoping it would solve the issue but didn't. AA battery totally dead, he started it, drove it a little and told me to leave it in run / start mode for a good hour to charge the battery.

As well as Adam's thread, this seems to be another virtually identical incident.

Same advice given, but unfortunately the driver didn't return to the forum to report what happened next. Hopefully he got sorted one way or another. It's such a simple thing to get yourself out of, if you know how and you have access to some way to waken up the 12v system - even a set of jump leads and a charitable passer-by. But it can throw people enormously.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back