Our ZS EV Trophy Connect Long Range will not charge with Zappi

suegeuens

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there ... new to the MG and charging. We brought the MG home about 2 odd weeks back. It has been charging OK as we have solar panels and it has been set to Eco+ on Zappi to take advantage of these. We have just over this weekend moved from Octopus Flexible to Octopus Go ... and we put a schedule on Zappi to charge only between 00:30 and 04:30 on the grid to take advantage of the cheap rates. First day we got just under a 10 kW charge which is low - car charged for only 2 of the required 4 hours, but at least it charged. Last night it refused to charge at all ... no matter what hubby tried. We have looked again this morning after trolling MyEnergi forums, but it all seems to point to the car itself being the problem. I am at my wits end as this is a very expensive piece of metal right now sitting on our driveway.

Any ideas or suggestions ... please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try controlling the charge with the car, not the Zappi. Set the Zappi to a "dumb" setting and turn on schedule charging in the car for 00:30 to 04:30 then set the charge limit to 80% using the slider.

Try controlling the charge with the car, not the Zappi. Set the Zappi to a "dumb" setting and turn on schedule charging in the car for 00:30 to 04:30 then set the charge limit to 80% using the slider.
Yep ... tried that last night (2am running around in pj's) and no success ... was just not charging at all

I have this setup and it works every time. Let me run through how I've set it up.
Firstly remove any schedule you may have on the MG, either via the app or in the car itself(both should be a view of the same settings)
secondly add the schedule in the zappi app.
Put the zappi in eco+ mode via the app.
Plug in at night and you should get ~27kw.
Note I have the standard range, so can't comment on the 80% charge to limit on the car, perhaps up this to 100% while you test.
I've heard people say powerline adapters (ethernet of power) can interfere with the Zappi, I have some and haven't had any problem but the quality of these devices varies.

Rob.

I have this setup and it works every time. Let me run through how I've set it up.
Firstly remove any schedule you may have on the MG, either via the app or in the car itself(both should be a view of the same settings)
secondly add the schedule in the zappi app.
Put the zappi in eco+ mode via the app.
Plug in at night and you should get ~27kw.
Note I have the standard range, so can't comment on the 80% charge to limit on the car, perhaps up this to 100% while you test.
I've heard people say powerline adapters (ethernet of power) can interfere with the Zappi, I have some and haven't had any problem but the quality of these devices varies.

Rob.
Hi Rob ... it seems like you do not keep the car permanently plugged in? Just plug it in at night?

I had to go and look up what a Powerline adapter was :unsure: ... but we are ok as I have an extender hub which reaches the garage quite nicely, so generally wifi is not an issue and we don't need extra adapters. In fact if I go and stand next to the Zappi with my phone I still get good wifi on the phone itself from the main hub.

I will up to 100% to see what this does ... just so frustrating at the moment ...

Where would I check that? Sorry - real newbie here and haven't even been able to get the iSmart to work yet ...
On the facelift versions at least - there is a switch/button on the centre console labeled "Battery" next to "Kers"/"Mode", by the drive selection wheel - press that.
On the battery screen there is an indication on the battery gauge showing you the maximum charge level, tap the screen where you want to set it.
We have a Zappi and Octopus Go also and use the Zappi schedule no problem on Eco+.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 10.25.55.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 10.25.55.png
    754.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi Rob ... it seems like you do not keep the car permanently plugged in? Just plug it in at night?

I had to go and look up what a Powerline adapter was :unsure: ... but we are ok as I have an extender hub which reaches the garage quite nicely, so generally wifi is not an issue and we don't need extra adapters. In fact if I go and stand next to the Zappi with my phone I still get good wifi on the phone itself from the main hub.

I will up to 100% to see what this does ... just so frustrating at the moment ...
Yes frustrating.
We keep the car plugged in from whenever we know we won't be going out again, so could be 6pm or 8pm. Then it just chargers from 00:30 onwards.

My point about the powerline adapters was that they put noise on to the power of your house and this can cause problems with the zappi, some have said I've had no problem myself. I wasn't questioning your wifi.

If you've done all this and it still doesn't work I'd try calling myenergi, They have good customer support.

Rob.

Hi everyone ... thanks so much for all the advice and help. The MG adviser walked me through the car over the phone and we identified that a setting on the car itself was causing the issue ... something that we would never have looked at - the screen showing the battery charge allows you to change the level to which you want the battery charged. This was set at 50% when we got the car and there was no indication you could actually change it by dragging your finger over the "uncharged" section. So of course, as soon as the car hit 50% charge it stopped. And we haven't driven it tons since we first took delivery, so just assumed the battery was at 50% or less charge. I've changed this setting to the appropriate amount now.

I've tested with both the MG supplied cable and the Zappi and the car is now happily charging with some nice solar power. I have also checked all other settings for both car and Zappi and I am hoping that a really decent charge will take place tonight while I am fast asleep.

Again thanks for all the help and advice - your comments gave me a place to go and find the issue.

If the charging was set to 50%, it sounds as though the hand-over checks haven't been done properly. You may find some other issues arise later on if software updates haven't been applied. Don't worry though, you'll find all the help you need on this forum. Happy EV motoring. :)

Hi there ... new to the MG and charging. We brought the MG home about 2 odd weeks back. It has been charging OK as we have solar panels and it has been set to Eco+ on Zappi to take advantage of these. We have just over this weekend moved from Octopus Flexible to Octopus Go ... and we put a schedule on Zappi to charge only between 00:30 and 04:30 on the grid to take advantage of the cheap rates. First day we got just under a 10 kW charge which is low - car charged for only 2 of the required 4 hours, but at least it charged. Last night it refused to charge at all ... no matter what hubby tried. We have looked again this morning after trolling MyEnergi forums, but it all seems to point to the car itself being the problem. I am at my wits end as this is a very expensive piece of metal right now sitting on our driveway.

Any ideas or suggestions ... please?
Hi, we have a similar setup although our MG ZS EV is the 2020 version. Suggest you go to the Myenergi website, log in and select my schedules. Very easy and seems to work well which is handy especially if you repeat the same pattern week after week.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom