• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

OVMS & Rolec Homesmart charger ZS EV

jamesc83

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have a Rolec homesmart charger that has been dropping offline while charging overnight (meaning it doesn't stop at the end of the cheap rate).

I also have an OVMS unit installed in the car, could the 2 be anyway related? I haven't tried unplugging the unit for multiple charges yet (I will do - not charging very often though) but I do know my car does the Zombie mode thing where it resets the trip data each time.

I am actively talking to my installer and they are communincating with Rolec/EV energy to try and get it resolved, just wondered on the off chance if anyone has had similar issues on here

I posted a similar question on the OVMS forum but this community is more specific to the MG.

No, I don't think they are related.

My Rolec charger went randomly offline too, but it was solved quickly, once we reached out to their Support.
It was something related to the specific mobile carrier/antenna the charger was connecting to.
The fix seems to be straightforward. Rolec remotely blacklisted the problematic carrier/antenna and the problem disappeared.

My suggestion is to keep working with Rolec support. If it's the same issue, it will be fixed soon. If not, they will likely figure it out.

No, I don't think they are related.

My Rolec charger went randomly offline too, but it was solved quickly, once we reached out to their Support.
It was something related to the specific mobile carrier/antenna the charger was connecting to.
The fix seems to be straightforward. Rolec remotely blacklisted the problematic carrier/antenna and the problem disappeared.

My suggestion is to keep working with Rolec support. If it's the same issue, it will be fixed soon. If not, they will likely figure it out.
Thanks for replying. They have tried blacklisting one of the networks already I think. Glad I’m not the only one with similar issues though, although it took a couple of reboots to get it up again today!

As you say I’ll keep working with Rolec. I’ve unplugged OVMS temporarily just rule it out as it is likely using mobile connection as my drive is too far from the house for a decent Wi-Fi signal.

Hi have you been in touch with ev energy. I had the same problem a few weeks ago and they sorted it.
Yes been in touch with both EV energy and Rolec both directly and via my installer. Fingers crossed it will get sorted. Hasn’t dropped out since yesterday when I unplugged OVMS, probably unrelated I know, but I also haven’t had the car on charge again yet.

Do you know what they did to fix it in your case, was yours dropping out whilst charging?

Although I'm still waiting for my MG5 (😡) my Rolec Charger was installed just over a week ago - ordered "early" in order to ensure the Government Grant was included.

Since installation the ev.energy app has reported it as "offline" something like eight times; it is very easy to reboot but I have contacted my installer company to raise this as an issue. (I have also referred them to this thread.) As the OP says, the fact that this "disconnection" can occur whilst the charger is actually in use is highly undesirable.

As of now, I have not contacted Rolec Support directly as I believe that the installer should be doing this!

Although I'm still waiting for my MG5 (😡) my Rolec Charger was installed just over a week ago - ordered "early" in order to ensure the Government Grant was included.

Since installation the ev.energy app has reported it as "offline" something like eight times; it is very easy to reboot but I have contacted my installer company to raise this as an issue. (I have also referred them to this thread.) As the OP says, the fact that this "disconnection" can occur whilst the charger is actually in use is highly undesirable.

As of now, I have not contacted Rolec Support directly as I believe that the installer should be doing this!
Hope you get yours sorted, my installer is being pretty good and doing the communication now. Hope you enjoy your MG when you get it

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom