Paint colour choices MG4

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
At the moment we are leaning towards a metallic red SE Long range MG4. I had said my next car would be white due to the fact that my current Kia Sportage is black which is a pain in the arse to keep looking nice. The paintwork constantly looks swirly and dull. Not sure if one colour will hold it's value better than another but definitely not another black car. As soon as the sun comes up over the horizon, the paint is too warm to polish. I quite like the blue but wish it was slightly lighter like the Hyundai I30N. I just think Holborn blue looks a bit cartoony if that makes sense. Shame you can't spec the orange in an SE. Hey ho..... Metallic red it is then.

FYI the red is tri-coat not metallic. Only the Black and Grey are metallic paints.

White and Blue - Bi-coat
Black and Grey - Bi-coat metallic
Red and Orange - Tri-coat

I think MG have nailed the colours and pretty much all of them look fab. There's enough black to contrast effectively with the white. The red does look great, the black (for the few minutes it stays clean) looks very cool, the grey is smart...
We went white to save money and I'm delighted with it.

At the moment we are leaning towards a metallic red SE Long range MG4. I had said my next car would be white due to the fact that my current Kia Sportage is black which is a pain in the arse to keep looking nice. The paintwork constantly looks swirly and dull. Not sure if one colour will hold it's value better than another but definitely not another black car. As soon as the sun comes up over the horizon, the paint is too warm to polish. I quite like the blue but wish it was slightly lighter like the Hyundai I30N. I just think Holborn blue looks a bit cartoony if that makes sense. Shame you can't spec the orange in an SE. Hey ho..... Metallic red it is then.
Go on go for Smurf blue like me. You know it makes sense 😉. I only discounted the red as my recent focus was similar colour and wanted a change. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you pick

I was originally drawn to the blue, but when I saw it "in the flesh" it didn't resonate with me.

Go on go for Smurf blue like me. You know it makes sense 😉. I only discounted the red as my recent focus was similar colour and wanted a change. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you pick
Damn.... That's it...Smurf blue. I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. Just wish it was slightly lighter.

I think Grey is only one i didn't get to see in flesh when i picked mine up. Orange only one not on radar as i couldn't stretch to trophy. Never thought id like a white car but with the amount of black it looks smart too so id have been happy regardless

Attachments

• 20220930_131147.jpg
    20220930_131147.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 195
What do we think would be the desirable colours when it comes to trade in? I’m a bit doubtful about orange 🍊 holding its value as well as the others ?

I had said my next car would be white due to the fact that my current Kia Sportage is black which is a pain in the arse to keep looking nice. The paintwork constantly looks swirly and dull.
It's swirly and dull looking 100% due to poor wash techniques by someone, or car washes.
Not a single paint in the world is swirly and dull- it's made that way by people who wash a car not knowing how to wash car paint safely.
That red metallic will go exatly the same way if the same techniques (or lack of)/places/people are used.
You mentioned 'as soon as the sun comes over the horizon, the paint is to warm to polish'. Unless it was for a paint correction, I can't see how one would need to 'polish' paint. Wax yes, but only a perfectly decontaminated surface (detox shampoo/fallout remover/pre wax cleanser etc). Washing a car properly is a science really, if you want to avoid swirls.

What do we think would be the desirable colours when it comes to trade in? I’m a bit doubtful about orange 🍊 holding its value as well as the others ?
Put a car (the same one, under 'not my car' which allows you to just enter a specific car without a reg plate) into webuy and put in different colours of it, but the same mileage and age. You'll see colour has NOT A SINGLE penny of influence on the price that'll come back to you (unless it's a metallic, as the algorithm assumes you'd have paid for it and you'll have a touch more money). But orange metallic v black metallic v blue metallic for any car will give NO DIFFERENCE in resale value. Even more so if someone was just PCPing it. Also, maybe just go by which colour you like the best, would like to have it in, and have to look at outside the house for the next X amount of years. Who cares really weather Claire will pay £21.70 more for the blue one in 2026 than she would have for the white one.

Last edited:
I have spotted a plain Silver paint job too

I think it's an option elsewhere but we don't get it in the UK, so I'd be interested to know how the example in the Tweet above got here

Apparently the photo was taken at Bicester Heritage. Could it be a trick of the light?

I couldn't decide between the red and the grey but as I've had a grey car for the last 7 years I went for the red.
We had Dynamic red on our first ZS EV and received a LOT'S of people praising the colour choice.
Because it's a Tri-Coat finish, it really "Pop's" when the sun is out !.
Same as yourself, I did not want to go for another red car, so we went for Battersea Blue.
It too has received it's fair share of compliments.

It's not listed as metallic AFAIK, just as tri-coat.
It is the most expensive colour option, as it's a three stage PEARL effect finish !.
The metallic options are a two stage finish.
Colour basic coat, then high gloss clear lacquer to give it protection and the shine.
MG's factory paint finish tends to fairly soft to start with, but then will harden up as time moves on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back