Paint colour choices MG4

MG's factory paint finish tends to fairly soft to start with, but then will harden up as time moves on.
🧐

That'd be the first time ever a car could do that. A robot, factory paint is pretty much cured and 'as it is' from the get go.

It is the most expensive colour option, as it's a three stage PEARL effect finish !.
The metallic options are a two stage finish.
Colour basic coat, then high gloss clear lacquer to give it protection and the shine.
MG's factory paint finish tends to fairly soft to start with, but then will harden up as time moves on.
Beat me to it, I was going for grey but my son ordered grey so went for red as it was my next choice, my wife wanted red as a 1st choice so I had no choice really anyways 🙄 ....got a bit of shock though when the salesman said it was more expensive.

🧐

That'd be the first time ever a car could do that. A robot, factory paint is pretty much cured and 'as it is' from the get go.
Other owners of the ZS EV Gen1 had observed the same thing strangely enough.
When our first ZS EV Gen 1 was first delivered, if you passed the back of your thumb nail across the top coat of the soft lacquer, you could actually leave a mark / groove in the finish.
Bird poo ( if left to dwell on the car ) would burn stain the top coat very quickly.
After about 6 months though, it had definitely became harder and less easy to mark.
Our new Gen 2 ZS EV is finished in the two stage Battersea blue.
When it was only about 4weeks old, my grand daughter was lifting her soft school bag into the boot.
As she did, she dragged the soft face of her back pack across the back bumper cover.
No surprise, it left a row of light micro scratches about 40mm wide across the bumper face.
Time to get out the mild cutting compound and a small detail polisher.
Again, it removed the scratches so quickly, it would suggest a similar soft(ish) clear coat.
The car is almost six months old now, so if true to previous form, it should be a little harder by now.
Paint will definitely harden as it subjected to different weather conditions over a longer period of time.

Other owners of the ZS EV Gen1 had observed the same thing strangely enough.
When our first ZS EV Gen 1 was first delivered, if you passed the back of your thumb nail across the top coat of the soft lacquer, you could actually leave a mark / groove in the finish.
Bird poo ( if left to dwell on the car ) would burn stain the top coat very quickly.
After about 6 months though, it had definitely became harder and less easy to mark.
Our new Gen 2 ZS EV is finished in the two stage Battersea blue.
When it was only about 4weeks old, my grand daughter was lifting her soft school bag into the boot.
As she did, she dragged the soft face of her back pack across the back bumper cover.
No surprise, it left a row of light micro scratches about 40mm wide across the bumper face.
Time to get out the mild cutting compound and a small detail polisher.
Again, it removed the scratches so quickly, it would suggest a similar soft(ish) clear coat.
The car is almost six months old now, so if true to previous form, it should be a little harder by now.
Paint will definitely harden as it subjected to different weather conditions over a longer period of time.
Sounds quite alarming - even the first wash would seem like it could be problematic. Do you think it would be best to instruct the dealer to dispense with any body preparation prior to delivery?

Sounds quite alarming - even the first wash would seem like it could be problematic. Do you think it would be best to instruct the dealer to dispense with any body preparation prior to delivery?
I have never allowed any dealer, to wash any of my cars after a service or after any work carried out.
I always present it to them, prepped in the best possible condition I can by myself first.
I have even resulted in asking somebody to inspect the car first, before leaving it with them.
I never have dealers apply any other after market / third party products to my car either.
It's hard to not allow them to detail the car before collection, because if you do that it will be hard to spot any paint errors on the collection day.
Contactless washing is the safest bet and never use a sponge to wash your car.
Keep away from the quick hand wash places and the devils own work, of the automatic car washes.
Like always, it depends on the individual and how fussy he or she really with regards to their bodywork.

Apparently the photo was taken at Bicester Heritage. Could it be a trick of the light?
That was my first thought initially too. Until I saw this, I didn't even know there was a silver option elsewhere and given that it's sat beside another white car for comparison, I would say that it is actually silver not just a trick of the light

That was my first thought initially too. Until I saw this, I didn't even know there was a silver option elsewhere and given that it's sat beside another white car for comparison, I would say that it is actually silver not just a trick of the light
Here in spain we have Medal Silver as an option

I have never allowed any dealer, to wash any of my cars after a service or after any work carried out.
I always present it to them, prepped in the best possible condition I can by myself first.
I have even resulted in asking somebody to inspect the car first, before leaving it with them.
I never have dealers apply any other after market / third party products to my car either.
It's hard to not allow them to detail the car before collection, because if you do that it will be hard to spot any paint errors on the collection day.
Keep away from the quick hand wash places and the devils own work, of the automatic car washes.
Like always, it depends on the individual and how fussy he or she really with regards to their bodywork.
Same with me, on all fronts.
Like Thursday, the NISMO RS is going for a service and even though they know what I'm like, and even though it's the same mechanic I ask for, and even though I tell them not to wash it and put about 4 signs in the car, I'm still stressed looking at the weather forecast every 5 mins for it to be at least reasonably ok on the day before (Wednesday) so I can prep the car so it looks showroom.

Regarding the other post, you clearly know what you're on about with cleaning/detailing, so I'll take it from your own experience that the paint changed a little as time went on.

The last time I used a automatic car wash - IMO - they started the pulley track before I was ready. I had a Volvo XC60 which then jumped off the track and burst the front tyre plus damaged the wing. Oh and I may have run over the attendant’s foot!

There is no way that I would take a car through one of those “devil machines” ever again. For a start I would not know what settings you would need to have on the car. Power on/off, neutral/drive selected?

Power state - optional, your choice
Drive state - neutral

That's always the case for those machines that pull the car through :)

Not that I'd use one for any car I've bought myself. (For company cars I don't care).

Go on go for Smurf blue like me. You know it makes sense 😉. I only discounted the red as my recent focus was similar colour and wanted a change. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you pick
Haha I went Tango Man orange as I love Orange cars (have had a Fiat Punto and A Suzuki SX4 in Orange already) lol

Just rip bits out of the paint instead.
So is it the use of sponges on the paint that are the big problem?

Could you use those jet wash units at a forecourt and not be as bad on the paint as long as you don't use the brush just the jet?

I'm getting the Volcano Orange MG4 Trophy and want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.

Could you use those jet wash units at a forecourt and not be as bad on the paint as long as you don't use the brush just the jet?

I'm getting the Volcano Orange MG4 Trophy and want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.
Have it professionally waxed/ceramic coated and use the two bucket system when washing it yourself. There are plenty of videos on YouTube.

Sponges, single buckets- dipping a 'sponge' back into a bucket in soiled water, no pre wash to remove a lot of dirt/contaminants, not rinsing out the 'sponge' after each pass.
It's a bit of a science, washing a car properly. Maybe go onto 'detailing world' as do some searches for tips. Maybe do some general searches, youtube etc Probably took me 2 years until I go it nailed (imo). I enjoy doing it and can get 6 months out of a properly pre prepared car and wax. Saves a lot (HUNDREDS) not doing the latest trendy 'ceramic coating' fad. ALso don't have someone messing with me car, either.
The jet wash with no brush would be a safer bet than a contact wash if the person doing it don't really know what they're doing (or just as bad, go to a local wash and scratch 'hand' car wash). Thing is just water (from a jet washer) don't 'clean' it, just blasts muck off. I don't use pressure washers so I'm alos not sure of any risks of high pressure water on paint

The jet wash with no brush would be a safer bet than a contact wash if the person doing it don't really know what they're doing (or just as bad, go to a local wash and scratch 'hand' car wash). Thing is just water (from a jet washer) don't 'clean' it, just blasts muck off. I don't use pressure washers so I'm alos not sure of any risks of high pressure water on paint
The jet wash can do invisible damage to seals etc. It can also cause problem with corrosion where the tyres meet the rims

My local MG dealer along the road has an orange MG4 in the showroom and one outside which looks like it might be getting prep’d as a demonstrator. It’s a fantastic colour with great depth. I’m ever so slightly tempted!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 527 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back