Parking brake

Does it give up, or can you stop it? I'm thinking of having someone in the passenger seat who can't wear a belt for medical reasons.
I know that one could always do up the seat belt and then sit on it, but it seems a bit crude.
You could always try to couple the belt behind the seat, we used to do that back in the 80s, just to be rebels. Although I remenber earlier than that Volvo had seat belts fitted and warning lights.

Hi. I came to this forum to see if others experienced the same problem as me. Turns out they do! As far as I can tell, the business with seat belts is a smoke screen as there have been several occasions where I've moved the car around the drive to get it close to the charging point and never put seat belts on to do so.

As far as I can see there is no rhyme or reason to the anomalous behavior and I'm getting pretty tired of having to fill holes in the gravel drive because I've tried to move the car because the parking brake has remained stubbornly ON.

The only fix seems to be to switch the car OFF, start it again and hope the car thinks it's a different day.

Its a fault that needs fixing as there is no way the car should honor the go-faster peddle while the parking brake is engaged.

Peter

Hi. I came to this forum to see if others experienced the same problem as me. Turns out they do! As far as I can tell, the business with seat belts is a smoke screen as there have been several occasions where I've moved the car around the drive to get it close to the charging point and never put seat belts on to do so.

As far as I can see there is no rhyme or reason to the anomalous behavior and I'm getting pretty tired of having to fill holes in the gravel drive because I've tried to move the car because the parking brake has remained stubbornly ON.

The only fix seems to be to switch the car OFF, start it again and hope the car thinks it's a different day.

Its a fault that needs fixing as there is no way the car should honor the go-faster peddle while the parking brake is engaged.

Peter
That’s interesting. Can you be a bit more specific? Are you saying for example that you can start the car to ready mode select N or R apply the accelerator and the car will try to move with the handbrake on? Or do you do all of the above and when you move the handbrake re-applies itself and locks the wheels ? Or is it something else that I’m not getting?

And I presume that you can’t manually release the electronic parking brake either?

I i was a driving instructor for nearly 40 years and had to know everything about seat belts when they were made compulsory on 31/03 /83
As a driving instructor do you know this?
I've always wondered - I live in Milton Keynes, the land of dual carriageways between roundabouts.

If you have dual carriageway (with a big central reservation) and from a side street you can cross the carriageway to turn right; you cross the first carriageway and park in the central reservation area waiting to turn (right), are you then technically actually allowed to pull out into the offside lane (if the nearside lane has cars is in)?

That’s interesting. Can you be a bit more specific? Are you saying for example that you can start the car to ready mode select N or R apply the accelerator and the car will try to move with the handbrake on? Or do you do all of the above and when you move the handbrake re-applies itself and locks the wheels ? Or is it something else that I’m not getting?
Hmmm. My routine is: Unlock car, get in, stamp on the STOP peddle and press the START button and take my foot off the brake peddle (usually). Wait for the car to settle down and ....

Depress the brake peddle, select D or R depending on which way the car is pointing and where I want to end up then remove my foot from the brake peddle. Often times, the car will start to move of its own accord either forward or back depending on the selection I made earlier.

If the car doesn't move, I give the go-faster peddle a nudge.. If I'm impatient, I might press the go-faster peddle a little harder.

Do I look at the parking brake indicator? Never, well not unless I've managed to spin the wheels and broadcast gravel over the cat or whoever is standing nearby. I then press any brake related button or switch I can find and notice the parking brake indicator has not extinguished.

At that point I switch the damn thing off. Cuss a little, And the go through the above process again. Occasionally and once the car has moved, I'll get out and replace the gravel in the hole its made.

When do I put on seat belts on? Not until I'm about to leave the property.

Detailed enough?

As a driving instructor do you know this?
I've always wondered - I live in Milton Keynes, the land of dual carriageways between roundabouts.

If you have dual carriageway (with a big central reservation) and from a side street you can cross the carriageway to turn right; you cross the first carriageway and park in the central reservation area waiting to turn (right), are you then technically actually allowed to pull out into the offside lane (if the nearside lane has cars is in)?
You are allowed to enter any lane so long as you dont affect the flow of other traffic and accelerate accordingly up to speed.also you are only allowed to wait in the central reservation if your vehicle is not sticking out 'ie it must be shorter than the width of reservation' .longer vehicles must wait till it is clear to reach the far carriageway in one continuous move .hope that helps.

Can we do a survey? Hands-up who thinks the car should attempt to spin its wheels while the parking brake is engaged.

This has nothing to do with what the bio-degradable carbon-based life-form is doing while its in the car. The software is broke. The software is in control of an object that can hurtle towards others doing a similar speed often closing at 140mph.

Tell me how this bug inspires confidence.

Hmmm. My routine is: Unlock car, get in, stamp on the STOP peddle and press the START button and take my foot off the brake peddle (usually). Wait for the car to settle down and ....

Depress the brake peddle, select D or R depending on which way the car is pointing and where I want to end up then remove my foot from the brake peddle. Often times, the car will start to move of its own accord either forward or back depending on the selection I made earlier.

If the car doesn't move, I give the go-faster peddle a nudge.. If I'm impatient, I might press the go-faster peddle a little harder.

Do I look at the parking brake indicator? Never, well not unless I've managed to spin the wheels and broadcast gravel over the cat or whoever is standing nearby. I then press any brake related button or switch I can find and notice the parking brake indicator has not extinguished.

At that point I switch the damn thing off. Cuss a little, And the go through the above process again. Occasionally and once the car has moved, I'll get out and replace the gravel in the hole its made.

Detailed enough?
It’s entirely up to you. I was just tying to help. It sounded like your handbrake wasn’t releasing from what you said earlier. Good luck.

Does it still happen if you keep the brake pedal depressed until the car indicates that its start up checks are complete and the car is in ready mode?

Both seat belt warnings appear to be triggered above a speed of about 20 Mph.
If you can stay BELOW 20 Mph - it will stay silent.
A previous BMW I once owned reacted in the very same way - speed related.
On my previous VW Golf GTE - the electric hand brake would NOT release unless you had the divers door fully closed and the seat belt on also !.
I got caught out a few times, when only wanting to move the car off the drive.

Sorry for the brief reply - the cat jumped on the keyboard. Nevertheless, the sentiment is right. Unless the design spec says the car should attempt move while the brakes are applied then I'd say if it did the other thing then it was an implementation error. Foot pedal down or not, don't care.

I've got the skid marks to prove it.

Sorry for the brief reply - the cat jumped on the keyboard. Nevertheless, the sentiment is right. Unless the design spec says the car should attempt move while the brakes are applied then I'd say if it did the other thing then it was an implementation error. Foot pedal down or not, don't care.

I've got the skid marks to prove it.
Your underwear aside (sorry, couldn't help it :p) no one here works for MG, we're just trying to help you with your problem.

The parking brake also functions as the emergency brake, not sure why anyone other than rally drivers would be using the parking brake and throttle at the same time, however, it is conceivable that the car is designed to do just that. You can, after all, do that on most, if not all, ICE cars including automatics.

You are allowed to enter any lane so long as you dont affect the flow of other traffic and accelerate accordingly up to speed.also you are only allowed to wait in the central reservation if your vehicle is not sticking out 'ie it must be shorter than the width of reservation' .longer vehicles must wait till it is clear to reach the far carriageway in one continuous move .hope that helps.
perfect thank you :)

Detailed enough?
Very detailed.

Obviously there is one thing that probably doesn't match what most other people do, the seat belt, putting it on before moving.
Other than that, if it's not the seatbelt thing, then you probably need to take the car back to the dealer as it isn't right.

Can we do a survey? Hands-up who thinks the car should attempt to spin its wheels while the parking brake is engaged.

This has nothing to do with what the bio-degradable carbon-based life-form is doing while its in the car. The software is broke. The software is in control of an object that can hurtle towards others doing a similar speed often closing at 140mph.

Tell me how this bug inspires confidence.
I would guess most cars would allow you to do this - as most cars are front wheel drive and the handbrake puts the rear brakes on.

Your underwear aside (sorry, couldn't help it :p) no one here works for MG, we're just trying to help you with your problem.

The parking brake also functions as the emergency brake, not sure why anyone other than rally drivers would be using the parking brake and throttle at the same time, however, it is conceivable that the car is designed to do just that. You can, after all, do that on most, if not all, ICE cars including automatics.
@peterkins I'll offer one final contribution to this, there are various driving settings that can be set, 1 or 2 are about the parking brake being auto applied / released etc. Maybe you should to look into that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom