Paying the dealer

Brettus

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Morning all, should be a pretty straightforward one. I’ve got the cash in my account and need to pay the dealer on Wednesday. Is it just a bank transfer as I’d expect (with a 2hr window hopefully) or is there more to it?

I used my credit card when paying the deposit, and debit card when paying the balance. That gives me Section 75 protection (my transaction was less than £30k) in case anything goes amiss and the dealer/MG won't do anything. :)

Their is normally a daily transaction limit, even with bank transfers, in our case it was £10k / day. So paid over 3 days. I subsequently found out that if you go into the branch they can organise a higher limit transfer (that was with HSBC, 12 months ago)

Their is normally a daily transaction limit, even with bank transfers, in our case it was £10k / day. So paid over 3 days. I subsequently found out that if you go into the branch they can organise a higher limit transfer.
That’s good to know, I was thinking 2hrs potentially sat on the forecourt was too much, I don’t want to camp out there 🤣 debit card seems the way to go. Completely hadn’t occurred to me.

My advice is to tell the bank before you do the biz. My bank refused to allow the transaction. So I had to spend an embarrassing 15 minutes on the phone to the bank to convince them that the transaction was genuine...

My advice is to tell the bank before you do the biz. My bank refused to allow the transaction. So I had to spend an embarrassing 15 minutes on the phone to the bank to convince them that the transaction was genuine...
Ah, mine shows any transactions pending approval in my app so hopefully it’s as simple as that in my case. Saves talking to an actual human shudder

I paid in two online transactions on consecutive days. I used my surname and the car registration number as the reference so there would be no doubt which car I was paying for.

Morning all, should be a pretty straightforward one. I’ve got the cash in my account and need to pay the dealer on Wednesday. Is it just a bank transfer as I’d expect (with a 2hr window hopefully) or is there more to it?
Contact your bank and ask them to put a large transaction marker on your account for Wednesday and then just use your debit card. I did that on Friday when I picked up our MG5 Trophy, all straight forward, dead easy.

Paid by two different debit card, different banks. For payment / consumer protection, just in case and to get around the daily limit. Approval was instant with both meaning I could take the car without delay even though it still takes a day or so for the money to leave and arrive at their bank.

FYI paying by debit card doesn't give you any additional legal consumer protection. And paying using two debit cards actually complicates matters in respect of chargebacks. Paying a small amount on credit card though does give additional legal consumer protection. (Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, provided that the purchase cost was £30k maximum). :)

We rang the bank beforehand and discussed... would be all ok if we did separate transactions of max 10k but then hit a daly transaction limit. So i did up to the limit off one account and the balance on another.

FYI paying by debit card doesn't give you any additional legal consumer protection. And paying using two debit cards actually complicates matters in respect of chargebacks. Paying a small amount on credit card though does give additional legal consumer protection. (Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, provided that the purchase cost was £30k maximum). :)

I did that quite by accident - I used my credit card for £5,000 because the insurance payment for my Golf hadn't yet come through and I didn't want to take more money out of my investment bond than I strictly needed. I had no idea it conferred extra protection.

In my case I paid the £339 deposit on CC, then paid the balance on DC on collection. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back