Performance model MG4

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
The new performance model has insane 3 second 0-60

It’s also extremely good value low price for what you are getting

I personally don’t ever wish I could go faster top speed or wish I could accelerate even faster I find my SE plenty enough for me

But I think this will really put MG4 on the map even more than it is already

Can’t wait for all the reviews and comparing with other performance cars

0-60 in 3 seconds is of no practical use. And these measures are outdated in the era of electric cars - I mean I had more acceleration than I needed in the 2011 Nissan Leaf even.

Now a longer lasting battery, an integrated tow hitch and an interior light - those would be really valuable to me.

Looks a really good value car but the range is disappointing and with some spirited driving the range will be hammered.

Think the 77kwh extended range edition with the 6.5 sec 0-60mph seems a better balance.

I know it would be about weight and cost saving but I think the X power would have really benefitted from the bigger battery

If you buy a high performance ice car,the sacrifice will be some reduction of range and a harder ride over the 1.6 deisel version...I think you may have missed the point ever so slightly!

If you buy a high performance ice car,the sacrifice will be some reduction of range and a harder ride over the 1.6 deisel version...I think you may have missed the point ever so slightly!
WIth the ICE cars you normally loose range because the engines are not as efficient not because the petrol tank is smaller.

It would be interesting to see where the extra space is for the higher capacity battery i.e. I am pretty sure they could have built a 77Kw fast version too but it would then have been over the 40K mark and I suspect it would bring them into an area they don't want to try and compete with.

With a performance EV they normally all come with a bigger battery.
Tesla's, polestars, Volvos, Mustangs, VW's all come with a bigger battery to cope withe dual motors/extra performance.

I think you may have missed the point!

As I and @RobQuads have said it is clearly a cost saving to keep it out of the plus £40k segment

With a performance EV they normally all come with a bigger battery.
Tesla's, polestars, Volvos, Mustangs, VW's all come with a bigger battery to cope withe dual motors/extra performance.

I think you may have missed the point!

As I and @RobQuads have said it is clearly a cost saving to keep it out of the plus £40k segment
Should make the bigger battery an optional extra 🤔

There built on a Single Moduler Platform ,so no problem supplying a different battery.
Yeah but it still makes the build process more complicated as it adds extra combinations to build. Arguable any option between the models - heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 camera are all the same. It's the same platform but by keeping it down to no options it makes building them easier.

And easier = cheaper :)
PB2VZ8U.png

Yeah but it still makes the build process more complicated as it adds extra combinations to build. Arguable any option between the models - heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 camera are all the same. It's the same platform but by keeping it down to no options it makes building them easier.
It's not so much the building but the logistics of getting the right part to the right vehicle at the right time and then getting that vehicle to the right person

There may also be space considerations - the 77kWh battery may not fit with dual motors.

Edit: I realise the platform is designed for that (eg Cyberster) but the MG4 itself may not be.

Last edited:
0-60 in 3 seconds is of no practical use. And these measures are outdated in the era of electric cars - I mean I had more acceleration than I needed in the 2011 Nissan Leaf even.

Now a longer lasting battery, an integrated tow hitch and an interior light - those would be really valuable to me.
I agree with you completely, I would like to tow my caravan without the need to charge every 100 miles or less. There isn't an ev that can do this yet at a cost that is affordable for an ordinary person.
The new model is mostly just an attention grabber.

I agree with you completely, I would like to tow my caravan without the need to charge every 100 miles or less. There isn't an ev that can do this yet at a cost that is affordable for an ordinary person.
The new model is mostly just an attention grabber.
Towing is a big problem for all EVs, typically 50% range loss. As there's no good solution I think manufacturers are either ignoring it or trying to steer people away from doing that.

Ok granddad

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel