Petition MG about Driver Settings

Freeagain21

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Not sure whether this has been shared before, but I stumbled upon this petition today. Not sure what good a petition can do in this case, but in for a penny ....

Last edited:
I've signed.
One issue that we should really be aware of is Snow Mode. If you switch it on, it stays on, doesn't revert back to normal. I had it on Saturday Due to cold temps and wet roads. The mode lives up to expectations, but it should stay on.

Sorry - you say it stays on, then say it should stay on. Isn't that a good thing?

No, no, it doesn't stay on. Like all modes, it reverts back to Normal.
It should stay on.

OK - thanks for clarifying. That's not what your previous post says. (Probably a typo - a missing "not" or something.) :)

My grammar gets terrible, so thanks bearing with me. It's this disease I have and I am forgetting words etc.

My grammar gets terrible, so thanks bearing with me. It's this disease I have and I am forgetting words etc.
Don't worry about it.
I play Scrabble on a Wednesday evening. One of us is dyslexic, myself and one of the others can't spell so we all have our own dictionary, but it's still embarrassing when one of the wives walks in and says "you don't spell it like that" 🤣

I'm sure I've picked up, from other threads, that by law some settings (at least) have to revert to their default on start up - LKA being one. Not knocking the reasoning behind the petition at all, but perhaps it might have been better nuanced, along the lines of "where prohibited legally" or something like that.

Don't worry about it.
I play Scrabble on a Wednesday evening. One of us is dyslexic, myself and one of the others can't spell so we all have our own dictionary, but it's still embarrassing when one of the wives walks in and says "you don't spell it like that" 🤣
Your game sounds so much more attainable and doable to me 😂

Don't worry about it.

Don't worry about it.
My standard reply to that sort of comment is, yes I DO spell it like that :D:D:D:D

I'm sure I've picked up, from other threads, that by law some settings (at least) have to revert to their default on start up - LKA being one. Not knocking the reasoning behind the petition at all, but perhaps it might have been better nuanced, along the lines of "where prohibited legally" or something like that.
It's not the law, it's a requirement to get higher marks in the EuroNCAP tests, to achieve a 5-star rating.
Basically all new model of cars will come with this in future, if they want a 5-star rating, which most do.

The most straightforward solution will be an icon on the homescreen that can turn it off, or select a driving profile.
The latest infotainment version for the SE has an icon to turn off LKA on a pulldown menu. Hopefully it comes to the Trophy on the next infotainment version.

It's not the law, it's a requirement to get higher marks in the EuroNCAP tests, to achieve a 5-star rating.
Basically all new model of cars will come with this in future, if they want a 5-star rating, which most do.
That is not correct. In July 2022 new EU regulations were introduced to make them mandatory.

I've signed.
One issue that we should really be aware of is Snow Mode. If you switch it on, it stays on, doesn't revert back to normal. I had it on Saturday Due to cold temps and wet roads. The mode lives up to expectations, but it should stay on.
I tried this on Sat be aware it seems to turn off regen braking so if you approach a roundabout take your foot off the throttle and expect the car to slow. it wont. Takes you bit by surprise first time round as you go round the roundabout at 45mph saying "shiiiiit"!

I tried this on Sat be aware it seems to turn off regen braking so if you approach a roundabout take your foot off the throttle and expect the car to slow. it wont. Takes you bit by surprise first time round as you go round the roundabout at 45mph saying "shiiiiit"!
Heh yep, cycling through the modes with the shortcut button feels like “settings roulette” it only seems to affect OPD but it’s hella disconcerting!

One easy compromise that I could think of is driver profile.. the car can revert back to default settings,but in a single window can turn on his or her profile and set everything the way the profile wanted. They can put a warning pop up saying that the profile disable LKA for example..

Or even (as someone may have mentioned previously) just add config options to the CUSTOM drive mode so that all these settings can be set there.

But a separate Profiles button (maybe on the pull-down menu) would be more logical.

We've had our MG4 Trophy now for over a year, and the LKA issue is really annoying! If they can't turn it off by law (and BTW, if that law is EU, then it may not apply to the UK any more) but I think the answer is for MG to FIX the LKA feature. We all turn it off because their implementation of LKA is badly broken, causing DANGEROUS unexpected lurching of the car. I drive a Tesla Model S (the MG4 is my wife's car) and the LKA on that is always on, but incredibly subtle, with no negative behaviours. This is, i think, the answer - MG keep their NCAP rating (the Tesla Model S is, I believe, still the highest scoring car ever tested by NCAP, so their implementation is clearly acceptable) and we don't have to turn the damn' thing off every trip!!

We've had our MG4 Trophy now for over a year, and the LKA issue is really annoying! If they can't turn it off by law (and BTW, if that law is EU, then it may not apply to the UK any more) but I think the answer is for MG to FIX the LKA feature. We all turn it off because their implementation of LKA is badly broken, causing DANGEROUS unexpected lurching of the car. I drive a Tesla Model S (the MG4 is my wife's car) and the LKA on that is always on, but incredibly subtle, with no negative behaviours. This is, i think, the answer - MG keep their NCAP rating (the Tesla Model S is, I believe, still the highest scoring car ever tested by NCAP, so their implementation is clearly acceptable) and we don't have to turn the damn' thing off every trip!!
Don’t include me in your “all”. I always leave it on and don’t have a problem with it. Very occasionally it will beep and even more rarely it will tug slightly, but not a big problem. Maybe it got better in the Xpower.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back