Petition MG about Driver Settings

i think there are a lot of issues with the software on the MG4. LKA is at times borderline dangerou. At least once a day it sees shadows or discolouration of the road surface and steers me towards oncoming traffic. The screen freezing and flicking from right to left repeatedly. The radio loosing volume and locking out. Both these issues happen at least 5/10 times a day to me on 50% of my days in the car.

For context I have an MG4 Trophy 2023 reg and have done 11800 miles since July. MG seem disinterested in fixing any of these issues with OTA updates. I don’t believe my car has ever had any. The new MGiSmart app should be called MGiStupid because since downloading it I no longer have a working app.(tried all the fixes and MG customer service said they know it’s broken and are trying to fix it.

in summary a brilliant little car that is let down by its software and customer support.

Don’t include me in your “all”. I always leave it on and don’t have a problem with it. Very occasionally it will beep and even more rarely it will tug slightly, but not a big problem. Maybe it got better in the Xpower.
You're lucky. I live in a rural area with narrow roads. ELK steered me back into a pothole I was trying to avoid, almost caused a skid on an icy road and is downright dangerous when passing cyclists. Before the software update it annoyed me that I had to turn off the annoying 'beep'. Now, everytime I get into the car I have to press the brake pedal, turn off the the ELK (and confirm it) and then turn off the beep. I have no objections to the 'rumble' of the steering wheel but I object to have to fight the steering wheel when driving down country lanes.

Pretty sure you don’t need to turn off the beep (unless your software is radically different which is plausible) disabling it stops any behaviour from it.

We've had our MG4 Trophy now for over a year, and the LKA issue is really annoying! If they can't turn it off by law (and BTW, if that law is EU, then it may not apply to the UK any more) but I think the answer is for MG to FIX the LKA feature. We all turn it off because their implementation of LKA is badly broken, causing DANGEROUS unexpected lurching of the car. I drive a Tesla Model S (the MG4 is my wife's car) and the LKA on that is always on, but incredibly subtle, with no negative behaviours. This is, i think, the answer - MG keep their NCAP rating (the Tesla Model S is, I believe, still the highest scoring car ever tested by NCAP, so their implementation is clearly acceptable) and we don't have to turn the damn' thing off every trip!!
Why can’t my cheap MG be as good as my expensive Tesla…
MG are pitching into a market (and they kicked the bottom out of it) I’ve every expectation stuff won’t be as good but is it good enough? Kinda. I’m happy not to let a least cost manufactured/coded computer take the wheel for me. But then I’d seen the negative opinion of it before setting foot in a dealership so I knew not to expect it but maybe I’m in the minority.
I might be miffed if I looked at the spec sheet and expected it but that just isn’t how I work. Research into purchases often mitigates buyers remorse. Especially when something is much cheaper than the competition.

Don't worry about it.
I play Scrabble on a Wednesday evening. One of us is dyslexic, myself and one of the others can't spell so we all have our own dictionary, but it's still embarrassing when one of the wives walks in and says "you don't spell it like that" 🤣
I dont require Google for spell check, I have a wife. !

Pretty sure you don’t need to turn off the beep (unless your software is radically different which is plausible) disabling it stops any behaviour from it.
I turn off the beep because, on country lanes, it beeps too often. ELK only goes down to Alert if I disable it. I don't want to disable all the driver aids just ELK.

fair enough, I disable LKA completely as I live rural too. Once it’s disabled with the single swipe and confirm I don’t get anything further but I guess you’re talking about something different with ELK.

Until the software upgrade I could do that. It now remembers the 2nd position in the vehicle distance one (used to cause braking when starting to overtake on 3rd position) but doesn't remember the ELK setting. I would be happy to keep it on if it was better implemented but constantly fighting the steering wheel on country roads is wearing. It's not always possible to stay within 0.3m of the white line with potholes, floods, etc.

A friend warned a friend over the MG4 but they didn't listen and bought one. Main complaint is lka. They have to let it have its way and are considering rejecting it on these terms. They've too seen many dealers and are stuck with it.

Don’t include me in your “all”. I always leave it on and don’t have a problem with it. Very occasionally it will beep and even more rarely it will tug slightly, but not a big problem. Maybe it got better in the Xpower.

I used to say the same.... Until it aggressively steered me into the guardrail at a speed of 120km/h last week, and I was just in time to avoid a very serious accident...

The regular LKA is fine since the last update. The Emergency Lane Keeping Aid however, is extremely dangerous if you ask me.

One easy compromise that I could think of is driver profile.. the car can revert back to default settings,but in a single window can turn on his or her profile and set everything the way the profile wanted. They can put a warning pop up saying that the profile disable LKA for example..
I agree driver profile will do the trick, some other car brands do this and it works very well, some even link it to your individual key automatically setting your preferences, the two keys are linked to two different drivers. But the pull down driver menu would be perfect.

I agree driver profile will do the trick, some other car brands do this and it works very well, some even link it to your individual key automatically setting your preferences, the two keys are linked to two different drivers. But the pull down driver menu would be perfect.
I fully agree. Having profiles will surely solve the problem. Or even the one that each key has its own profile, ie one for wife and the other for the husband.
If a software update is done I would include the one that all the windows are closed when closing the car. Or long press the closing button to close all windows.

I fully agree. Having profiles will surely solve the problem. Or even the one that each key has its own profile, ie one for wife and the other for the husband.
If a software update is done I would include the one that all the windows are closed when closing the car. Or long press the closing button to close all windows.

It's not safe to have all the windows close automatically on locking. Not if there is an animal in the car.

I think it really depends on our individual driving styles, no body is saying get rid of it all together we are simply saying allow us to make the decision, if we like leave it on, if not leave it off it.

We've had our MG4 Trophy now for over a year, and the LKA issue is really annoying! If they can't turn it off by law (and BTW, if that law is EU, then it may not apply to the UK any more) but I think the answer is for MG to FIX the LKA feature. We all turn it off because their implementation of LKA is badly broken, causing DANGEROUS unexpected lurching of the car. I drive a Tesla Model S (the MG4 is my wife's car) and the LKA on that is always on, but incredibly subtle, with no negative behaviours. This is, i think, the answer - MG keep their NCAP rating (the Tesla Model S is, I believe, still the highest scoring car ever tested by NCAP, so their implementation is clearly acceptable) and we don't have to turn the damn' thing off every trip!!
Hi my MG 4 is great on LKA I drive on very small mountain roads with big drops and no problems everyone is different.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back