Phantom battery drain - HV & LV batteries

I wonder if we ever get an MG app if it can be turned off when you leave the car for long periods or if its always on like he said a Tesla is

Its obvious when you think about it that all the electrics are 12v.bulbs etc .imagine a 455v heated seat .phew.

left my MG at the airport last February for a week with no adverse effects at all.
If the car works fine I wouldn’t worry about battery voltages. Ignorance is bliss so tape over that 12v gauge and enjoy.

The issue is small 12v battery, as you don't need a big battery to turn over (start) the engine and the DCDC converter for (HV to LV) would top it back up quickly for the cars LV electronics. There again my fiesta did suffer from battery drain. Bump starting that thing was a nightmare after a long holiday. One time for the lolz left it with a valet company and they said I need to get it sorted as it wouldn't start on arrival day (but they did get it started for the journey home and worked until the next holiday 😅).

Attachments

• ElectricGregariousCivet-size_restricted.gif
    ElectricGregariousCivet-size_restricted.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 181
I found it interesting to discover the ZS has a conventional front radiator and fan! Plus two water pumps at the front!

The two reservoirs (pink fluid) are battery coolant and electric drive system fluid. When the motors at the front are running you can see the fluid entering the reservoir.

He didn't mention whether his 12v had drained any after being left for two weeks though.

He didn't mention whether his 12v had drained any after being left for two weeks though.
I always thought that the HV would automatically charge the LV when it got low. Seems a crazy situation to have a load of volts sitting under the car and being stuck because your 12v battery is too low. I wonder why manufacturers don’t just use a voltage stepper instead of a 12v battery to power the 12v systems?

I always thought that the HV would automatically charge the LV when it got low. Seems a crazy situation to have a load of volts sitting under the car and being stuck because your 12v battery is too low. I wonder why manufacturers don’t just use a voltage stepper instead of a 12v battery to power the 12v systems?
ISTR one EV, has a booster button so that if your 12v is too low to start the car you just press the button to jump start from the HV (via step down of course). Or was it a dream ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom