PHEV buyers remorse - and I've not yet got it! Please advise.

sn0112

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I came across this forum when researching whether to buy an HS and find it to be a massive help.

My background is I'm renting a facelift HS 2024 petrol manual which has convinced me. The car is extremely comfortable and I even managed to get 47.1 MPG on the motorway.

Based on I ordered a car, but am having some doubts.

I chose the 2023 pre-facelift PHEV Exclusive over a newer car as I wanted the sunroof.

Please can you advise:

• In many reviews I've read that the PHEV handles more harshly than the standard - is this true/noticable in your experience. I will be using ECO mode mainly.
  • I have test driven all variants - manual, auto, PHEV - but did not notice a discernable difference during the short drives. Does the PHEV lag between gears and jump in slow traffic etc.
  • Is the PHEV a false economy - you pay more on the list price and still have to pay UK electicity rates or public charging point rates.
  • Is the infotainment as problematic as described - how does it fare in a direct comparison with the post-facelift version as opoosed to other brands.
  • are there any other significant differences with the newer facelfit.

Overall, the question is would you recommend a newer facelift model (non-PHEV) over a 2023 Exclusive PHEV.

20230430_164900.jpg

🙂👍

HS PHEV Automatic pre facelift, great car used extensively for caravan towing. Plenty of power and torque, smooth gear changes, economical, very comfortable, handels well. What more could you ask for?

HS PHEV Exclusive 2023
Long Distance mileage probably be no difference in mileage.
Daily commute on pure Electric after the first 3 miles - 1000 miles between top ups if I don't go anywhere.
Medium distance average 90 mpg using pure electric when you want.
Acceleration surprisingly quick for the size of the car with a momentary lapse if in pure electric
DAB not an issue was you give up the fight and accept it for what it is. The upgrade hides everything. DAB works ok for locals and keep to national channels on long runs.
For the price - excellent choice and love the car.

NZ new 2023 MG Hs phev excite. We bought it new 1 year ago for the EV mode.
The biggest plus we find is the phev 62 km pure electric travelling.
Nearly all of our running is around town in EV mode and we plug in and charge to 100% daily.
In EV mode 0.4 litres/ 100Km's (500 mpg = 0.47 l/100km)
In Hybrid Auto mode 5.23 l/100km's (45 mpg = 5.23 l/100km)
We went to Auckland airport to pick someone up which is 236 km round trip in Auto (hybrid mode)
We also have Solar with a Tesla PW2 battery so all our running is basically free :)
The MG HS is very comfortable on a trip or driving around town.
Gear changes are very smooth, dont even notice them :)
Plenty of power in either EV or Hybrid mode.
Very roomy even in the back seat.
We sell at a market every saturday and with seats down we can fit all our gear and tables in.
No issues with the car yet. Very happy with our MG purchase :)

I have owned a 21 plate PHEV for 2 years now and the only thing that is frustrating is the entertainment screen lag. Apart from that it is fantastic on fuel around town and I get about 38mpg on the motorway. It is very fast for a large SUV which can be fun.

HS PHEV Automatic pre facelift, great car used extensively for caravan towing. Plenty of power and torque, smooth gear changes, economical, very comfortable, handels well. What more could you ask for?
That was my thinking when I chose it! Then I had doubts after reading reviews. Thanks for your feedback.

HS PHEV Exclusive 2023
Long Distance mileage probably be no difference in mileage.
Daily commute on pure Electric after the first 3 miles - 1000 miles between top ups if I don't go anywhere.
Medium distance average 90 mpg using pure electric when you want.
Acceleration surprisingly quick for the size of the car with a momentary lapse if in pure electric
DAB not an issue was you give up the fight and accept it for what it is. The upgrade hides everything. DAB works ok for locals and keep to national channels on long runs.
For the price - excellent choice and love the car.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not fussed about DAB, but will now check if the car I've ordered has two usb ports :)

NZ new 2023 MG Hs phev excite. We bought it new 1 year ago for the EV mode.
The biggest plus we find is the phev 62 km pure electric travelling.
Nearly all of our running is around town in EV mode and we plug in and charge to 100% daily.
In EV mode 0.4 litres/ 100Km's (500 mpg = 0.47 l/100km)
In Hybrid Auto mode 5.23 l/100km's (45 mpg = 5.23 l/100km)
We went to Auckland airport to pick someone up which is 236 km round trip in Auto (hybrid mode)
We also have Solar with a Tesla PW2 battery so all our running is basically free :)
The MG HS is very comfortable on a trip or driving around town.
Gear changes are very smooth, dont even notice them :)
Plenty of power in either EV or Hybrid mode.
Very roomy even in the back seat.
We sell at a market every saturday and with seats down we can fit all our gear and tables in.
No issues with the car yet. Very happy with our MG purchase :)
That's good to know. The MPG in EV mode around town is the main reason I wanted the PHEV.

I have owned a 21 plate PHEV for 2 years now and the only thing that is frustrating is the entertainment screen lag. Apart from that it is fantastic on fuel around town and I get about 38mpg on the motorway. It is very fast for a large SUV which can be fun.
I'd like to know how pronounced the lag is. Does it make it unusable. I'm currently renting a post-facelift 2024 HS and the infotainment is ok.

I would have gone for thsi too, but I want the sunroof :)
In NZ they have 2 models, excite standard or essence with sunroof, larger wheels, electric boot, fog lights and some bling options. Both cars are the same specs apart from those extras in the essence. The difference in price at the time I purchased was over $3000 nzd for the essence which I didnt think it was worth it just to get a sunroof as its to cold here in NZ.

You will love it ! If you are already used to the slightly clunky MG infotainment system , you will find that the PHeV has superior acceleration to the 1.5 petrol . The only thing you will find annoying is the flat spot in acceleration at around 70-80kmh in pure EV mode due to a gear change . But you get used to it and learn to anticipate it. We have had ours for over 2 years and it’s been one of the most reliable cars we have owned .

Do yourself a favour and get a wireless CarPlay dongle like Carlinkit or the equivalent .

Thanks for the many helpful replies.

I have narrowed things down and the final choice is between:

Standard Petrol
PHEV for £100 more per month via PCP

Question - will the PHEV save me £100 or more per month? I do a lot of mixed driving (roughly 15,000 miles per year).

Thanks for the many helpful replies.

I have narrowed things down and the final choice is between:

Standard Petrol
PHEV for £100 more per month via PCP

Question - will the PHEV save me £100 or more per month? I do a lot of mixed driving (roughly 15,000 miles per year).
No doubt that the ICE version will save you money in the long run, unless 99% of your trips are under 63km . But the drive is soooooo much better in the PHEV .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom