PHEV buyers remorse - and I've not yet got it! Please advise.

No doubt that the ICE version will save you money in the long run, unless 99% of your trips are under 63km . But the drive is soooooo much better in the PHEV .

Thanks. What do you mean by better - quicker, more comfortable, or both?

Thanks. What do you mean by better - quicker, more comfortable, or both?
  1. Acceleration time is 6.9 sec to 100kmh. (Near Golf GTI ). I screeched the tires when driving out of the dealership on the test drive.
  2. EV mode is near silent, with a nice soft jet -like whine. So much so when the ICE kicks in , it seems rough in comparison . I often creep up to unsuspecting pedestrians in carparks and scare the daylights out of them.
  3. As my daily commute is only 11km, I have refueled it only 5 times in the last 12 months, and thats because of several longer country drives.
  4. The PHEV does not come with a spare tyre, but the space saver tyres off a VW Golf or Eos do fit. Easy to source that and a Jack from a scrap yard if you really need it for remote country roads.

NZ new 2023 MG Hs phev excite. We bought it new 1 year ago for the EV mode.
The biggest plus we find is the phev 62 km pure electric travelling.
Nearly all of our running is around town in EV mode and we plug in and charge to 100% daily.
In EV mode 0.4 litres/ 100Km's (500 mpg = 0.47 l/100km)
In Hybrid Auto mode 5.23 l/100km's (45 mpg = 5.23 l/100km)
We went to Auckland airport to pick someone up which is 236 km round trip in Auto (hybrid mode)
We also have Solar with a Tesla PW2 battery so all our running is basically free :)
The MG HS is very comfortable on a trip or driving around town.
Gear changes are very smooth, dont even notice them :)
Plenty of power in either EV or Hybrid mode.
Very roomy even in the back seat.
We sell at a market every saturday and with seats down we can fit all our gear and tables in.
No issues with the car yet. Very happy with our MG purchase :)

How much money would you say it saves you on fuel per month

How much money would you say it saves you on fuel per month
Many $$ - I filled up the other day 6/3/24, I still had 2 bars left in petrol and had done 3163kms before I had filled up before on the 18/7/2023. I am getting 0.4 litres / 100km mostly in EV mode and 5.1litres / 100kms on a trip. Most of my driving is in ev mode. It took 31.68 litres to fill or $89.35, cant ask for better than that :)
I just love the fuel economy of my MG. Thats what i bought it for and its doing exactly that :)

Last edited:
Many $$ - I filled up the other day 6/3/24, I still had 2 bars left in petrol and had done 3163kms before I had filled up before on the 18/7/2023. I am getting 0.4 litres / 100km mostly in EV mode and 5.1litres / 100kms on a trip. Most of my driving is in ev mode. It took 31.68 litres to fill or $89.35, cant ask for better than that :)
I just love the fuel economy of my MG. Thats what i bought it for and its doing exactly that :)
Thank you so much. This is a great insight and has convinced me to go for the PHEV :)

Thank you so much. This is a great insight and has convinced me to go for the PHEV :)
NP, to get to that 0.4 I plug it in as soon as I get home and charge it to 100% every night, most of my running is around town in EV mode which is also why i'm getting high kms out of a tank. I use around 50% to 60% of the battery a day I only use hybrid (auto) on a trip. As a bonus as I have Solar + powerwall2 battery and 3 hrs of free power every night so all my charging at home is free :) and there are shopping centers here that have free charging as well so I plug in there if I'm shopping :) Good luck with it, they are really nice to drive in EV mode.

I own and MG 5 PFL but drive the the PHEV HS at work. The HS is clearly bigger (and heavier) and is more comfortable than the MG5. However, you really notice the weight when go from one to the other. The MG5 handles far better and being a full EV has a far better throttle response. The handling was quite disappointing really, the MG5 isn't exacly and MX5 but still far better then a HS. The infotainment is really slow too which I was a bit surprised with.

If you can charge at home and don't frequently do 150 mile plus journeys then a full EV like an MG4/5 is probably a better option. However, if you need to tow a hybrid becomes more viable unless you have the £££s for an EV with good towing performance and long range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom