Planning my first proper trip

Taxman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, new to my MG5 (pre face lift) only delivered on Monday and less than 200 miles on the clock so far. But need to do a round trip next week from Aylesbury to Seaford which is 107 miles each way (largely motorway). Should I start with the assumption that I could wear a coat, kers3, eco mode and go grandad style to make the whole trip without a charge ….. or admit defeat and plan round a rapid charger stop? What would you do with the benefit of experience?
Thanks!

If yours is LR that is a borderline for a round trip at this time of year. I think even on the most economical car (and driver) settings you will get a bit nervous as you reach about 180 miles, though I'm sure others would see it differently.

I've long given up trying to eke out fuel and prefer to enjoy driving the car and be warm. If I were doing that trip I'd look for a charger about 50 - 60 miles from home just to give it a squirt. That would give you some leeway in case that charger wasn't available. Zapmap shows a few around Huntingdon.

Also try ABRP to see what it suggests. I usually do that after I've planned my route as a sanity check...

Thanks - makes sense. I’m visiting in-laws so, a quiet sit at a charger for a bit will give me time to get my temper back in check!🤫

Sounds like time to take the granny lead and let them pay some of the cost. :unsure: Even at 2kW it'll probably add enough to avoid the need to stop and charge, and even if you offer to pay it'll be a lot cheaper.

Sounds like time to take the granny lead and let them pay some of the cost. :unsure: Even at 2kW it'll probably add enough to avoid the need to stop and charge, and even if you offer to pay it'll be a lot cheaper.
Spot on. If it's possible use a granny there, the 34p capped rate is cheaper than any Rapid, and you'll add about 3% per hour.
Oh yeah and put the heater on, no point in paying £30,000 for a car just to wrap up like you were driving a Model T. I find set to 21 degrees, directed at screen and feet, and press the econ button, works for me.
Also on the motorway don't use KERS3, it slows you too quickly and you use more power getting back up to speed again, use level 1 or maybe 2. Also if you can try keeping speed to 65, it still feels pretty rapid.

Last edited:
don't use KERS3, it slows you too quickly and you use more power getting back up to speed again, use level 1 or maybe 2
Just slow a little later then. Then you get more juice on regen to get back up to speed. :)

That's my theory anyway. Though having been an avid "state changer" when I first got the car, mostly I just get in a drive these days.

Thanks all. I won’t take the granny charger as my father in law is desperate to point out that I’ve only gone electric to be a poser - but I will do a normal drive and build in a stop. Thanks!

Just slow a little later then. Then you get more juice on regen to get back up to speed. :)

That's my theory anyway. Though having been an avid "state changer" when I first got the car, mostly I just get in a drive these days.
I appreciate what you say, but on a motorway doing 60 or 70 I prefer to slow a little earlier rather than later and having the car act more like an ICE manual when lifting off.
You can never gain more or even as much, regen'd power slowing down as you use accelerating back up to speed.
:)

If yours is LR that is a borderline for a round trip at this time of year. I think even on the most economical car (and driver) settings you will get a bit nervous as you reach about 180 miles, though I'm sure others would see it differently.

I've long given up trying to eke out fuel and prefer to enjoy driving the car and be warm. If I were doing that trip I'd look for a charger about 50 - 60 miles from home just to give it a squirt. That would give you some leeway in case that charger wasn't available. Zapmap shows a few around Huntingdon.

Also try ABRP to see what it suggests. I usually do that after I've planned my route as a sanity check...
+1 for just driving the darn thing. Okay I work for myself so time is also money, but to be honest the heater doesn't make a massive difference as far as I can tell, it's all about the outside temperature and having the headlights on. Driving into a headwind on the M4 in the dark with the wipers going, but the heating off, 2.3m per kWh!

+1 for just driving the darn thing. Okay I work for myself so time is also money, but to be honest the heater doesn't make a massive difference as far as I can tell, it's all about the outside temperature and having the headlights on. Driving into a headwind on the M4 in the dark with the wipers going, but the heating off, 2.3m per kWh!
My top tip is to charge for the return journey before you arrive at your destination. That will allow you to be totally chilled with the inlaws and you can be relaxed on the drive home too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom