Please see my thread in ZS EV

I have one , it's a great car and no range anxiety . Use the EV button to keep it in EV mode otherwise the engine kicks in at about 24 mph.

I have one , it's a great car and no range anxiety . Use the EV button to keep it in EV mode otherwise the engine kicks in at about 24 mph.
Thanks for replying. Did you derive last winter and if so was delisting an issue in EV mode?

Thanks for replying. Did you derive last winter and if so was delisting an issue in EV mode?
Hi electrikery no I've only had it a couple of months so not had to demist in winter. I have demisted it with a lo setting so the engine did not come on. I seem to charge it every couple of days using the granny charger and keep it in EV mode on all my short trips.
Due to this forum I knew the shortcomings of the car , but that didn't change my opinion and so I got it and don't regret it at all.
I didn't go full EV due to travelling to Wales ,Cornwall etc , where the EV infrastructure is very poor.
So I know when traveling long distances the mpg will not be great , but I offset that by driving on EV all my small journeys when at home.

Hi electrikery no I've only had it a couple of months so not had to demist in winter. I have demisted it with a lo setting so the engine did not come on. I seem to charge it every couple of days using the granny charger and keep it in EV mode on all my short trips.
Due to this forum I knew the shortcomings of the car , but that didn't change my opinion and so I got it and don't regret it at all.
I didn't go full EV due to travelling to Wales ,Cornwall etc , where the EV infrastructure is very poor.
So I know when traveling long distances the mpg will not be great , but I offset that by driving on EV all my small journeys when at home.
Yes it’s about compromise. My biggest concern is the fact the heater works off the petrol engine so in winter short trips might not be possible in EV mode

there is plenty of information on here and I'm guessing you have read on the phev forum but below is my general thoughts re economy.
I know below is the same for every phev ( so I apologise now , if you feel this is like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs .. henri8 I wonder how this will translate for you lol )
When using it in EV mode its great and on octopus go faster its 71 p to fully charge it to 32 miles , but on a trip mostly on national speed limit roads I actually got 36 out of it. The 32 miles never changes as far as I know , so its not like the GOM on the ZS evs.
So if mainly using it in EV mode and very occasionally ( depending on driving distances ) then you will easily get the equivalent of 130 mpg ( or more) .
The more longer journeys , the more petrol you will use , the less efficient it will become , so its not the car to have if you will mainly be doing journeys over 32 miles a day, as an ICE would be more efficient.
So in the last few weeks I have done a camping trip to wales fully loaded and a roof box ( and air con on , nice and cold lol, and180 miles round trip( plus 20 miles day trips while there) ) and 2 return trips to Heathrow (230 miles round trip per trip)
The car worked out to give just over 48 mpg for each of these journeys, which for a big lump of a car I think is very good.
My accumulated before the wales trip shows 139 miles 133 mpg 28.1kWk/100miles.
After the journeys above and more local ones my accumulated reading is 983 miles 53.8 mpg 12.2 kwh/100 miles.
This is the difficulty in these reading to get an exact economy as the mpg also includes the EV mode , and in reality like the zs EV , I get 3.5-4 m/kWh when on EV mode only.
I hope this economy information helps you understand the economy of the car you just need to decide on all the other aspects lol , good luck.

That’s actually much better than my company car when I had a business. Mercedes c350e estate that average 40 mpg over 3 years and the claimed 19 miles in EV mode

Yes it’s about compromise. My biggest concern is the fact the heater works off the petrol engine so in winter short trips might not be possible in EV mode
I agree , but as far as I know , if you start the car put the heater on to defrost , the ICE starts. So if you are like me and it a frosty day , you then go around to scrape the ice off the windows . By the time you have done this the ICE will be pretty hot and blowing out hot air. Once the engine is hot and your requested heat is lower than the heat in the engine , then in theory you can move in EV mode , and the heater will still blow out. Only when the requested heat is lower than the ICE heat , will the ICE then re start.
In my old car I mainly used the heated seats and did not really drive with the heater on , so it will be interested to see how it works with this car in winter.
Again I want to try getting the blower to blow on the windscreen , but selecting LO ( so not really heat ) and see if that clears the windscreen ( so not starting the ICE) . I know it works now , but what will it be like in the middle of winter??. As we don't really get bad winters , I'm hoping I wont need the ICE too often

The HS is leagues above the ZS in terms of refinement and quality. Drove normally in full EV today for just over 12 miles and got 3 miles/KWh.

Attachments

• A93F6986-9E64-4557-B281-C34E0C98CE5F.jpeg
    A93F6986-9E64-4557-B281-C34E0C98CE5F.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 163
Decision made after thorough 3 day test drive and ordered red with red leather interim Exclusive. Thanks for the helpful comments.

I think most people who have the phev are pleased with it ( I have seen no comments on this forum to say otherwise) .
It will be interesting to see your views after a few weeks coming from the full EV.

the hS won out I think for similar reasons to you @jem111111

1. get in and go even if battery low when need urgent support for elderly parents
  2. hassle free long retirement road trips,
  3. Still got local everyday use EV journeys
  4. More luxurious car
  5. larger rear doors easy access for elderly relatives and volunteer driver activity
  6. comfortable 3 in the back
  7. love the 3D camera, mode lighting, sports seats and electric boot
  8. fuel usage on my test beat the Mercedes company car c class 359e estate I had as my business car

the hS won out I think for similar reasons to you @jem111111

1. get in and go even if battery low when need urgent support for elderly parents
  2. hassle free long retirement road trips,
  3. Still got local everyday use EV journeys
  4. More luxurious car
  5. larger rear doors easy access for elderly relatives and volunteer driver activity
  6. comfortable 3 in the back
  7. love the 3D camera, mode lighting, sports seats and electric boot
  8. fuel usage on my test beat the Mercedes company car c class 359e estate I had as my business car

We have a Leaf 30 and HS replaced Outlander. I was tempted by long range EV but economics and occasional drive across Europe kept me on Phev for now.

I am doing 35+ EV miles and resorting to once a day charge during Octopus Go Faster timeslot. No more partial charges needed to get through the day (Outlander needed topup twice a week)

Decision made after thorough 3 day test drive and ordered red with red leather interim Exclusive. Thanks for the helpful comments.

That's the colour combo I wanted, but the price of a six month old demonstrator in Blue with standard black interior was too good to pass up on, especially as it didn't look dark inside like in the brochure.

That's the colour combo I wanted, but the price of a six month old demonstrator in Blue with standard black interior was too good to pass up on, especially as it didn't look dark inside like in the brochure.
I might wish I had gone for the black leather if the grandkids smuggle in a felt tip

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom