Plug in and Charge like Tesla - Possible with the MG5?

jared

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I see Tesla possibly opening their network up to other cars as well as not being particularly excited by needing 5 different charging apps. Does the MG5 have the ability to pass customer details over the charging cable like a Tesla if that feature ever makes it to other public chargers in the UK?

I see Tesla possibly opening their network up to other cars as well as not being particularly excited by needing 5 different charging apps. Does the MG5 have the ability to pass customer details over the charging cable like a Tesla if that feature ever makes it to other public chargers in the UK?

No, the MG5 is a very basic car compared to a Tesla. I'm not sure that Elon Musk was being serious when he said this but if he was he's opening up a major problem for himself.

Tesla owners have been 'privileged' to have a charging network to themselves and it was a big part of the mystique of ownership that will disappear if he goes ahead.

Add to that, Tesla chargers are specifically designed to accommodate Tesla cars, the cables are just the right length to reach the charging port when the car backs up to a bumper on the ground. I can see many many damaged chargers as plebs like us start yanking at them to try and make them reach a socket that's just too far away.

I'm sure there are ways the technology could be made to work but it seems unlikely it would actually happen.

I do think this will be possible - it’s likely to require pre-registration on an app though. Gridserve are working on this kind of “plug and charge” system for their chargers too and demonstrated it with a BMW i3 which certainly isn’t particularly modern or advanced.

I don’t think any MG cars are on Fastned’s auto charge exception list, so in theory it may work. I may have to go back to fastned now that I have the MG to test this theory.

Also worth pointing out auto charge relies on the CCS standard and the car giving the charger a unique identifier. Fastned app allows pairing and GRIDSERVE has signalled they will as well.

I have now tested and can confirm MG5 LR works with Fastned Autocharge feature.

Register car in app, plug in ccs cable, then start charge in app. If all synced up, next time you plug in, it will start charging without any manual intervention… no buttons to press, no app to open, it just wakes up and starts charging.

Took me a few tries to get it all synced up, but it works like a charm now.

Register car in app, plug in ccs cable, then start charge in app. If all synced up, next time you plug in, it will start charging without any manual intervention… no buttons to press, no app to open, it just wakes up and starts charging.

How does payment work ?
Do you have to put some credit in on the app or is it register a payment card ?

Nice to see! Thanks

That looked as simple as I was hoping. I certainly prefer this to the 5 apps I've got now. Unfortunately I still need an app to tell me the charge % or that its finished
Once the charging starts, if you open the fastned app you can remotely manage the charge and see how far along it is in addition to the charger disapay. :)

How does payment work ?
Do you have to put some credit in on the app or is it register a payment card ?
Same as fastned normally works. I have my bank card listed as primary funding source.

Does this only work on the Fastned network? only asking as looking at Zapmap there are very few in the UK compared to other providers.

Gridserve have promised this functionality will be coming soon.

Technically, any company that provides CCS charging should be able to do this, if they set up their backend correctly.

My tweet was mentioned in regards to Raw Charging, who confirmed they apparently support this feature as well...

Hi just a quick one you say works on MG5 LR how about the first model the SR have you any idea if that works as well.?
Les

Last edited:
Hi just a quite one you say works on MG5 LR how about the first model the SR have you any idea if that works as well.?
Les
I would expect it to work. Fastned has an exceptions list and the only SAIC vehicle on it so far is the Maxus edeliver.

Please note: Unfortunately it is not possible to use Autocharge with the following vehicles:

• Audi e-tron (model 2018, cannot be guaranteed for model 2019)
  • DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
  • Maxus eDeliver
  • Mazda MX-30
  • Volkswagen e-Up!, e-Golf, ID.3 & ID.4
  • Seat Mii electric
  • Skoda Citigo e-iV & Enyaq iV

Regarding charging at the Tesla superchargers when that eventually hits the UK, charging will be controlled using the Tesla App, having pre-registered to link a credit / debit card.

I stayed in Bluestone holiday park in Wales this summer.
It had free chargers according to the blurb.
They were Tesla make chargers and would not work with the MG5 (or another MG ZS on site).
We had the use granny chargers.
Seemed the chargers worked hit and miss with all EVa except Tesla,

I stayed in Bluestone holiday park in Wales this summer.
It had free chargers according to the blurb.
They were Tesla make chargers and would not work with the MG5 (or another MG ZS on site).
We had the use granny chargers.
Seemed the chargers worked hit and miss with all EVa except Tesla,
These were probably Tesla Destination chargers (7kW) and not Superchargers. Apparently if they have a red sign they are for tesla only, and if a white sign then they are for all EVs that can use a Type 2 plug. All Destination chargers are operated by the owners of the premesis, so they are responsible for whether they work or not.

The rollout of the Tesla Supercharger network to "all EVs" is happening slowly as a trial of just 10 stations in the Netherlands at first, and will will then expand to other countries on an as yet unannounced programme.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom