VOTE TESLA SUPERCHARGES with MG5

Which dealer ? I'm in Leeds and am booked in for update.

See here Tesla Supercharger Issue MG5 LR
Luscombes. I asked about the update on the strength of threads on here when they had it in for some warranty work over Easter, but at that time hadn't tried a Tesla charger to confirm mine was incompatible.

Was yours part of a service bulletin or did you raise it as a specific issue with them?

Luscombes. I asked about the update on the strength of threads on here when they had it in for some warranty work over Easter, but at that time hadn't tried a Tesla charger to confirm mine was incompatible.

Was yours part of a service bulletin or did you raise it as a specific issue with them?
Luscombe's too, I just went in and walked up to the service desk and asked to book in for the update. No argument, no hassle. I had my 2 year service in January but the update was still up in the air then.

Tried booking 71 PreFL MG5 LR Exclusive in with Islington Motors for Tesla Charging update.

Initially Islington suggested they expected it to be warranty work, but later contacted me to say that MG had issued a bulletin indicating that the software update was "considered to be an enhancement" and was therefore not covered by warranty, so they want to charge £165 for it (their standard diagnostic charge for out of warranty).

I've asked the service dept at Islington to provide me with a screenshot or photo of the bulletin from MG, they've said they're not sure what they're allowed to release but they're going to try and do something.

I'll end up paying the £165 I expect. I worked out that at 4mi/kWh, it'd take 2,200 miles of pure Tesla power (vs generic UK rapid charging at Zap-Map average rate) to recoup the cost - which I'm likely to cover over the lifetime of the vehicle. I also considered that it provides more charger availability, and may have a positive effect on resale value if the update has already been done.

ETA: Islington confirmed that for the 71 PreFL MG5 LR Exclusive, it is a software update only (no new or replacement hardware required), so anyone being quoted e.g. £800 because of additional hardware should perhaps ask to see the bulletin from MG?

you may have seen the supercharger at the Tesla centre just up the road from Luscombe's is now available, makes it handy to check compatibility!

73 Plate FL Trophy. Didn't work on delivery. Had to argue hard to have the software applied as the dealer denied that MGs could charge from Tesla. Eventually got the update and works fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom