Podpoint home charger using a timer purchased from Amazon?

Beta testing finishes soon and PodPoint are rolling out timed charging app to all users.

As a pod point user this is great news, I am on Octopus Go tariff so the cheaper hours are from 12. 30am till 04.30 and I usually plug in about 11ish at night, so this will make it cheaper than the usually extortionate price of £2.65p to fill my car😂😂😂😂

Yes. I’m Octopus and been trying the beta app. on iOS. Works great.

I think it’s closed. You should get the app soon I think. There’s a couple of threads running on here about it if you want more info.

Here’s PodPoint latest email.

Hello Beta tester!

Thank you so much for taking the time to test our Charge Scheduling feature on the Pod Point App.

We’re very close to launching the feature for all Pod Point homecharge users, thanks in no small part to you.

Please could you spare a few minutes to fill out a super short survey, to help us gather any final bits of feedback.

Here’s PodPoint latest email.

Hello Beta tester!

Thank you so much for taking the time to test our Charge Scheduling feature on the Pod Point App.

We’re very close to launching the feature for all Pod Point homecharge users, thanks in no small part to you.

Please could you spare a few minutes to fill out a super short survey, to help us gather any final bits of feedback.
Thanks Cocijo - it's looking good! Please keep us informed (y):cool:

I use an Ohme cable which I got at £100 as an offer when I joined octopus. Had dedicated app which works with your energy tariff to give you cheaper charging if you have it. Works seamlessly with my dumb rolec as I can set it to be kinder to the battery so sets it at lower than 32 amp charging.
A definite win if you are looking to change you suppliers I think it will be cheaper than buying then breaker and having it installed.
If you are looking to change to octopus I would be obliged if you could use my referral code
share.octopus.energy/ocean-rook-80
We both get £50 added to our accounts. That’s a lots of free ev driving. Sorry I won’t shamelessly tout myself again.

Had dedicated app which works with your energy tariff to give you cheaper charging if you have it. Works seamlessly with my dumb rolec
Hi @Jaygee .
I am assuming that your dumb Rolec have been adapted to use a Wi-Fi relay ( Sonoff / Shelly ) device in order to control your delayed charging requirements ?.

That really is good news for Pod Point users.
I have to say that it is WELL over due.
This has been in the pipe line for well over twelve months now, better late than never I guess.
Owners have had their hands forced into applying other methods of adapting their pre installed wall boxes to gain access to delayed charging for their cars.
Considering that Rolec and Pod Point where the recommended wall units by MG at the time of purchase, this is simply not good enough really.
I am not blaming anybody individually for this situation, but if anybody is NOT to blame, it’s the poor owners !.
Honestly, I am MORE than willing to express my personal thanks to the independent clever people who have devised a method of creating a fix will allow the delayed charging facility.
As we are all aware, people on a cheap “Off - Peak” contract / tariff want to charge their cars at these times.
The standard day rate is expensive as we know, but this should be off set by use of the cheaper rate in the early hours.
So because of the lack of delayed charging in the car, the owner only has two choices ( depending on the type of wall box used of course Ohme etc ).
Either plug in before midnight and pay the higher rate, or stay up and plug in after mid night !.
Of course, there is the third option of adapting the wall box to suit, with the use of a Wi-Fi relay controlled from an “App” on your phone ?.
Am I right in thinking that the ZS EV is the only modern BEV to be introduced to the market without the facility to perform a delayed charge from either the car or the wall box ?.
Under the OLEV grant, you have to install a “Smart” wall box to use on your ZS EV.
There is nothing “SMART” about a box that can not be controlled to take advantage of cheaper “Off - Peak” electric in my mind !.
I think you are probably right. I believe Telsas had the same problem which was fixed over the air. The Shelly solution is very good & so cheap. Also the WiFi performance is excellent compared some other "smart" devices.
It seems to me that, as usual, the government department handing out subsidies has not got much knowledge about the electric car scenario. When they agreed to subsidise the public charging network they should have regulated it so as not to have at least a dozen different systems & payment regimes. What is the point of anything less than a rapid charger for public use except maybe supermarkets if you need a couple of hours to shop? Even then you would have to be desperate to get a lead out of your car to connect up. Most of the ones I have seen in Tesco are not tethered. Finally petrol pump that could only deliver a few litres in half an hour does not exist!
Rant over!

Yes Tesla also had a problem at one stage using the podpoint home charger but it was fixed with an ota update. Most of the issues are around the handshake between the charger and the car. It’s a bit like joining together your MacBook and your windows laptop and asking them to work together. When there’s an issue the more parties involved the more finger pointing and the harder it is to get it fixed quickly. I do also think it’s bad that MG do not have an app for their cars in Europe.

Hi @Jaygee .
I am assuming that your dumb Rolec have been adapted to use a Wi-Fi relay ( Sonoff / Shelly ) device in order to control your delayed charging requirements ?.
Hi no I don’t have any WiFi really. The ohme cable has a built in SIM card which gets updated ota via a ohme app. I have set my tariff. In my case it is the go faster on octopus. The ohme charger then knows to charge from 2030 until 0030 the next morning. These are the times I get charged 5p per kWh. I can even set the number of miles to put in the battery. It is seat of pants as mg does not allow the soc of the battery to be relayed to the charger. It works rather painlessly. I can then sit in a warm home and monitor the charging. Pausing it or overriding times if I need it.
I don’t have to worry about any relays or getting an electrician out.
i hope this makes sense

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom