Podpoint home charger using a timer purchased from Amazon?

I am going to install the Shelly1 Relay. This will be wired to control the energiser coil in the ROLEC Contact Relay in the box so no need to worry about switching the Heavy 32 amp cables.

You can buy a pre-flashed software version of the Shelly relay too which will work with Apple's Homekit which is what I am doing.

If you use Apples Home Automation already, you can simply program the on/off times on your iPhone or iPAD for the Shelly1 to switch the ROLEC on during the cheaper rate periods OR switch it manually on/off at any other time. Including using Siri Voice Activation to do this for you.

I have seen posts where people are saying these relays i.e. SONOF / Shelly1 are only rated at 16 amp and the 7Kw charger being 32 amp.

Just to clarify, you are only using these relays to switch the control wiring NOT the High Current Wires, the controls wires simply switch the energiser coil of the main chargers relay which has an extremely low current draw, so a 16 amp relay timer is actually overkill in this case.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)

Thank you Andy. My concern is invalidating the podpoint warranty or in the event of any issues getting no support from them. At this moment i‘m still looking at 63a rated wifi switch for the main feed. Thanks again.

Thank you Andy. My concern is invalidating the podpoint warranty or in the event of any issues getting no support from them. At this moment i‘m still looking at 63a rated wifi switch for the main feed. Thanks again.
My concern would be turning the Podpoint off. It won't receive updates over WiFi from Podpoint. I was told by the podpoint installer to leave it powered on permanently for this reason.

Yes there are a number of potential issues lurking. I’m still hoping podpoint will come up with the promised updated app and save me the trouble.

I am experiencing similar problems with an EO Chargepoint, only installed 3 weeks ago. I like the idea of using a sonoff wifi timer as I can vouch for the fact that they really work, and tweaking the 12V comms to the car seems to be the correct solution to wake it up. However I obviously cannot put anything inside the exterior wall box as only just installed and very compact. I could however interrupt the supply to reset the wallbox but it is difficult to test the set up due to lockdown & using the car battery enough!. My question is does the mains reset wake the car up. Also when are MG going to provide the proper fix which I believe Tesla have done ie: deselect the sleep function in user software on the car display as required?

I think someone mentioned that the waking up is down to which (BMS ?) updates you've had.

I am experiencing similar problems with an EO Chargepoint, only installed 3 weeks ago. I like the idea of using a sonoff wifi timer as I can vouch for the fact that they really work, and tweaking the 12V comms to the car seems to be the correct solution to wake it up. However I obviously cannot put anything inside the exterior wall box as only just installed and very compact. I could however interrupt the supply to reset the wallbox but it is difficult to test the set up due to lockdown & using the car battery enough!. My question is does the mains reset wake the car up. Also when are MG going to provide the proper fix which I believe Tesla have done ie: deselect the sleep function in user software on the car display as required?
With my car (yours may be different) - I’ve switched off the wallbox using the installed CU breaker switch. Then plugged in the charger. Locked my car. Left for 30mins. Returned and switched on the circuit breaker. It starts charging. This replicates what I would like to do with a remote wifi breaker switch and an app with timer functionality - but as mentioned it is not without challenges. Tesla onboard software managing the charge is quite sophisticated being able to set a start time and % battery level. It would take a lot for the MG to have an update like this.

Hi techjunkie

I had a similar problem and considered the Wifi SONOF breaker after Freddy suggested it as it seemed a brilliant solution. I had the problem of where to put it as the EO Mini Pro 2 had its own consumer box in the outside meter cupboard and asked my installer if I bought could he fit. He was not sure about the item and if it was EU (now UK) approved and seemed reluctant. Another contributor on here did not recommend using one. although Freddy on the same thread had no problem.
Spoke to Thomas in EO support and they also give it a no no and not recommended. Talk to EO it could save you money and the warrantee!

See below my reply to Tom on "Which, from an owners point of view, is the best home charge to buy"
the thread:

Help as a new MGZSEV owner Im experimenting with home charging yet currently failing.​

Tom Hartley said:
Hello, I have tried using the home charger supplied as standard with the MG ZS, but as no home socket is in reach of the chargers cable I hvae been using an extension lead. The 13 amp fuse on the lead has blown on two different charging days so making overnight charging no longer a reliable option.
I am exploring having a wall mounted charging point fitted but for now have two questions :
What is occuring regarding the lead ?
and
Which, from an owners point of view, is the best home charge to buy.
Thanks.
Hi Tom
I will not mention extension leads as there has been enough suggestions for you on this thread. But regarding the which charger, again lots of users with their own ideas but for me after looking around/reviews etc I went for the EO Mini Pro 2. Nice and small very discreet, choice of colours, Tethered or untethered (I went for the former as looks much neater), works very well and timed charging is no problem from the mobile app.
I did have a problem at first as where it is fitted the wifi was a bit too weak for the App to keep connected, but a TP-Link wifi extender/amplifier (bought used off eBay £7.50) soon fixed it. Thomas in EO customer support was also excellent. I got the EO from JBS Electrics at a good price and fitted by Billy within a week. Not sure but JBS maybe a bit far away for you use but a brilliant service. www.jbselectrics.co.uk

IMG_20210129_085623303~2.jpg
IMG_20210129_085457160~3.jpg

This is how mine is setup. Originally I just replaced the circuit breaker that you see in the middle. But then couldn't tell if the WiFi one had any protection, overload etc, even though the one on the left does. So widened the gap slightly so I could put the original one back and the WiFi one on the end. Obviously it doesn't have to go there I just think it looks neater. Also someone said it needs to be on all the time, mine is mostly, for example, it will turn of at 4.30
Then when I unplug I switch it back on.

Many thanks to Cocijo & Richie for your useful replies. I have just applied the idea I had yesterday to use my old Onzo clamp meter on the tails to the earth detector box which in turn feeds the EO chargepoint. I see the installation is taking around 27 watts just to exist which is a bit alarming! At least I can check what is going on now. Started a new session & 279W is goinng to the car or (somewhere anyway!) so probably the car is in balancing mode. Yes I have had some dialogue with Thomas at EO which was useful. However my conclusion today is the wall box needs a kickstart from a mains recycle to start a scheduled charge at least if the car remains plugged in. I may reach a different conclusion tomorrow.....

Attachments

• eo chargepoint supply monitor 30-01-2021 1530.jpg
    eo chargepoint supply monitor 30-01-2021 1530.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 127
  • eo chargepoint supply monitor 30-01-2021 1608.jpg
    eo chargepoint supply monitor 30-01-2021 1608.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 135
Many thanks to Cocijo & Richie for your useful replies. I have just applied the idea I had yesterday to use my old Onzo clamp meter on the tails to the earth detector box which in turn feeds the EO chargepoint. I see the installation is taking around 27 watts just to exist which is a bit alarming! At least I can check what is going on now. Started a new session & 279W is goinng to the car or (somewhere anyway!) so probably the car is in balancing mode. Yes I have had some dialogue with Thomas at EO which was useful. However my conclusion today is the wall box needs a kickstart from a mains recycle to start a scheduled charge at least if the car remains plugged in. I may reach a different conclusion tomorrow.....
Okay. I do plug in if needed around 7/8 pm for charging at 00:30 to 04:30 and the EO kicks in and out no problem. Of course as you know you can change the app if you want the EO to charge outside or at other times as well as the time slot. Now a "Happy Bunny" with EO.

AndyNWuk. Your video is absolutely brilliant. I am looking into the Shelley now. The fact it works from a web browser instead of an annoying app has to be a bonus too. Many thanks.

Okay. I do plug in if needed around 7/8 pm for charging at 00:30 to 04:30 and the EO kicks in and out no problem. Of course as you know you can change the app if you want the EO to charge outside or at other times as well as the time slot. Now a "Happy Bunny" with EO.
So are saying that the car does not go to sleep for a while after plugging in? Also my plan was to keep car plugged in for a couple of days so it would get the balancing charge the next night if not used in between. Having seen AndyNWuk's post about the Shelley device I might follow up his modification.

Great video @AndyNWuk (y) I'd have to get an electrician to wire that in for me if I got one, but it's handy to know these things actually exist! For anumbpty like me, something like that which could plug into the charging gun at either end would be ideal - bo wiring required ;)

With my car (yours may be different) - I’ve switched off the wallbox using the installed CU breaker switch. Then plugged in the charger. Locked my car. Left for 30mins. Returned and switched on the circuit breaker. It starts charging. This replicates what I would like to do with a remote wifi breaker switch and an app with timer functionality - but as mentioned it is not without challenges. Tesla onboard software managing the charge is quite sophisticated being able to set a start time and % battery level. It would take a lot for the MG to have an update like this.
All the MG software would need to do is to tweak the 12V control line so the smart chargepoint with timers would know the car is ready to charge. The only time the "switch" would need changing is if leaving the car to the mercy of airport parking in 2025 (!) to avoid the 12V battery going flat is my thinking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom