Podpoint home charger using a timer purchased from Amazon?

So are saying that the car does not go to sleep for a while after plugging in? Also my plan was to keep car plugged in for a couple of days so it would get the balancing charge the next night if not used in between. Having seen AndyNWuk's post about the Shelley device I might follow up his modification.
In case I forget tonight its plugged in now, Sunday 11.03 and will only start to charge on Octopus Go at 00.30 to 04.30 on a timed setting. If I need it to charge now for example I just either turn off time charge, turn on the option to charge now or off peak charging my choice.
After the next BMS update next week I'll just override the time charge to aid the required equalisation.

Last edited:
AndyNWuk. Your video is absolutely brilliant. I am looking into the Shelley now. The fact it works from a web browser instead of an annoying app has to be a bonus too. Many thanks.
I can’t take the credit for that video but the Shelly1 is a great little unit with good features.

As mentioned in a previous post, the firmware in the unit can be flashed and upgraded to suit other applications.

The unit I have ordered is compatible with Apple Home Kit so the timing can be set using Apples Home App and switched manually the same way or by using Siri voice activation.

I am going to install the Shelly1 Relay. This will be wired to control the energiser coil in the ROLEC Contact Relay in the box so no need to worry about switching the Heavy 32 amp cables.

You can buy a pre-flashed software version of the Shelly relay too which will work with Apple's Homekit which is what I am doing.

If you use Apples Home Automation already, you can simply program the on/off times on your iPhone or iPAD for the Shelly1 to switch the ROLEC on during the cheaper rate periods OR switch it manually on/off at any other time. Including using Siri Voice Activation to do this for you.

I have seen posts where people are saying these relays i.e. SONOF / Shelly1 are only rated at 16 amp and the 7Kw charger being 32 amp.

Just to clarify, you are only using these relays to switch the control wiring NOT the High Current Wires, the controls wires simply switch the energiser coil of the main chargers relay which has an extremely low current draw, so a 16 amp relay timer is actually overkill in this case.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)
The Shelly 1 is the way to go.

I have been waiting for months to get a smart meter, finally got it and switched to a variable tariff.

As long as you can read instructions and your charge point is within.range of your WiFi router - my only problem, I had to put a ethernet over mains range extender to get a signal, it takes less than 30 mins to install, and will only take the same amount of time to remove. Get the Shelly working on your work bench first. Check it works with the Shelly phone app.

Safety first switch off at mains cct breaker.

Remove front cover, look at wires going to the car plug - LN & E plus another thin wire, the pilot or signal wire - red on my Rolec box.
Connect L & N to the Shelly, disconnect the pilot wire from wherever it goes, and connect it to the switch contact on the Shelly and connect an additional wire from the other switch contact to wherever the pilot wire went.

Replace the front cover, restore power and test.

Getting it to work with google home took about 2 minutes, I have it set so charging is enabled on a schedule, but can be over ridden from the Shelly app or by voice using Android Auto.

Very easy and satisfying project

Pete

Last edited:
I ordered 2 Shelly 1's yesterday direct from Shelly Store UK at a great price & they have already been dispatched.
Even if I can get my EO charger fixed they will be used elsewhere in my house. If there is no fix I will be ready!

Last edited:
They get good reviews and they’re about half the price direct from Shelly.

My Shelly's arrived today. Hoping to install one of them tomorrow to kickstart the EO charger timed events for Octopus Go. Set up completed this pm. Browser interface using Firefox is great with fixed ip address. Had to use the app to get it working on the browser. It's looking good.

Attachments

• shelly 1 web interface.jpg
    shelly 1 web interface.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 143
My Shelly's arrived today. Hoping to install one of them tomorrow to kickstart the EO charger timed events for Octopus Go. Set up completed this pm. Browser interface using Firefox is great with fixed ip address. Had to use the app to get it working on the browser. It's looking good.
Hi
Just remind me why have you gone down this route? I have a EO Mini Pro 2 and the EO works fine, it charges each night as set 00.30 to 04.30, if its plugged in, and if I want a charge during any other time I change it on the app. Have you spoken to EO? Adding things to any charger must invalidate the warrantee.

Just an update on the Shelly 1 unit. If your home automation is Apple Homekit like mine, you will need an updated firmware to the normal Shelly 1 device as this is compatible with Android.

Here is the link for the Homekit Version:

You can flash the firmware but much easier already done.

Andy (Blackpool)

Hi
Just remind me why have you gone down this route? I have a EO Mini Pro 2 and the EO works fine, it charges each night as set 00.30 to 04.30, if its plugged in, and if I want a charge during any other time I change it on the app. Have you spoken to EO? Adding things to any charger must invalidate the warrantee.
I have been in touch with EO and my installer. I have gone down this route because I have it on good authority that the car goes to sleep & the EO cannot wake it up! I have today installed the Shelly 1 in the Garo MCU with RCBO & PME earth detection which in turn feeds the EO chargepoint.
Early testing indicates success in turning the not so smart charger into a working unit. See diagram.
The other advantage is the Shelly can be controlled / timers set with my laptop on the kitchen table. Tomorrow morning I will be able to see if it worked on the cheap rate. I am happy that your chargepoint works OK but mine definitely could not wake the car up after it had fallen asleep.

Attachments

• shelly control 04-02-2021.jpg
    shelly control 04-02-2021.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 145
Just an update on the Shelly 1 unit. If your home automation is Apple Homekit like mine, you will need an updated firmware to the normal Shelly 1 device as this is compatible with Android.

Here is the link for the Homekit Version:

You can flash the firmware but much easier already done.

Andy (Blackpool)
Thanks Andy. It all about the Androids here! I updated the Shelly firmware anyway. So easy. The device is working even in a metalclad MCU. I did remove the metal flap over the breakers to give it a chance.

I have been in touch with EO and my installer. I have gone down this route because I have it on good authority that the car goes to sleep & the EO cannot wake it up! I have today installed the Shelly 1 in the Garo MCU with RCBO & PME earth detection which in turn feeds the EO chargepoint.
Early testing indicates success in turning the not so smart charger into a working unit. See diagram.
The other advantage is the Shelly can be controlled / timers set with my laptop on the kitchen table. Tomorrow morning I will be able to see if it worked on the cheap rate. I am happy that your chargepoint works OK but mine definitely could not wake the car up after it had fallen asleep.
Okay that's good. But its odd that one EO Mini Pro 2 works and another does not. This EV lark is difficult to understand sometimes and we can all have the same or different problems. Remember the old days when you just needed to know if the petrol station was open 🚙 🚗 :unsure:

Okay that's good. But its odd that one EO Mini Pro 2 works and another does not. This EV lark is difficult to understand sometimes and we can all have the same or different problems. Remember the old days when you just needed to know if the petrol station was open 🚙 🚗 :unsure:
Update: EO rang me to say there is a new software update for the MG. Car booked in for 17 February. EO also have an update fix if MG one does not work. In the meantime my fix is working - just need a few more days to be sure.

Hi folks - some absolutely cracking work being done here! :cool: Can I ask if there are any updates and for those who have modified their chargers, if it's still working please?

I was surfing Youtube and there was an advert for a Fingerbot which caught my eye. Here's the link:

Ali Express - Fingerbot

and one from Amazon:

Amazon - switchbot

It's basically, a small unit with an extendable arm. This arm can be timed to push 'down' (obviously, turn it 180 degrees to get it to push up! 😉), or have the end of the arm put into a 'clamp' of sorts and so can push and pull - say a switch?

My thinking is, rather than re-wire the circuitry, this could switch the breaker on and off at the main circuit board?

I'm not an electrician and have very little experience with electronics so I don't know if switching the breaker on and off, every day is something that should be done, or is there something else now 'out there' which could assist with timing the charge, until Pod Point get their app sorted?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi folks - some absolutely cracking work being done here! :cool: Can I ask if there are any updates and for those who have modified their chargers, if it's still working please?

I was surfing Youtube and there was an advert for a Fingerbot which caught my eye. Here's the link:

Ali Express - Fingerbot

and one from Amazon:

Amazon - switchbot

It's basically, a small unit with an extendable arm. This arm can be timed to push 'down' (obviously, turn it 180 degrees to get it to push up! 😉), or have the end of the arm put into a 'clamp' of sorts and so can push and pull - say a switch?

My thinking is, rather than re-wire the circuitry, this could switch the breaker on and off at the main circuit board?

I'm not an electrician and have very little experience with electronics so I don't know if switching the breaker on and off, every day is something that should be done, or is there something else now 'out there' which could assist with timing the charge, until Pod Point get their app sorted?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Sounds like a Wallace & Grommet gadget :rolleyes::giggle:

Hi Richie - I know! :LOL: At first, I thought it was a joke but it seems not. I can see it being useful in some settings but unsure whether it would be of benefit for this?

Cheers

Bloggsy

I use the shelly 1 on my older rolec tethered unit and it works perfectly. Put it in line on the feed from the car so no load, then just set the wifi timer to my cheaper tariff time and it just works. I can even tell it to turn on and off with alexa. The other bonus with this is that effectively your charger is off when you are not home. Not saying that anyone would be cheeky enough to turn up on your drive and try to charge but you never know !!

I am registered with podpoint labs and am now testing a Beta version of the podpoint app which includes daily charge scheduling, which is working well and will obviate the need for any additional electronics. Hopefully they will roll it out to everbody soon.

I am registered with podpoint labs and am now testing a Beta version of the podpoint app which includes daily charge scheduling, which is working well and will obviate the need for any additional electronics. Hopefully they will roll it out to everbody soon.
That really is good news for Pod Point users.
I have to say that it is WELL over due.
This has been in the pipe line for well over twelve months now, better late than never I guess.
Owners have had their hands forced into applying other methods of adapting their pre installed wall boxes to gain access to delayed charging for their cars.
Considering that Rolec and Pod Point where the recommended wall units by MG at the time of purchase, this is simply not good enough really.
I am not blaming anybody individually for this situation, but if anybody is NOT to blame, it’s the poor owners !.
Honestly, I am MORE than willing to express my personal thanks to the independent clever people who have devised a method of creating a fix will allow the delayed charging facility.
As we are all aware, people on a cheap “Off - Peak” contract / tariff want to charge their cars at these times.
The standard day rate is expensive as we know, but this should be off set by use of the cheaper rate in the early hours.
So because of the lack of delayed charging in the car, the owner only has two choices ( depending on the type of wall box used of course Ohme etc ).
Either plug in before midnight and pay the higher rate, or stay up and plug in after mid night !.
Of course, there is the third option of adapting the wall box to suit, with the use of a Wi-Fi relay controlled from an “App” on your phone ?.
Am I right in thinking that the ZS EV is the only modern BEV to be introduced to the market without the facility to perform a delayed charge from either the car or the wall box ?.
Under the OLEV grant, you have to install a “Smart” wall box to use on your ZS EV.
There is nothing “SMART” about a box that can not be controlled to take advantage of cheaper “Off - Peak” electric in my mind !.

Am I right in thinking that the ZS EV is the only modern BEV to be introduced to the market without the facility to perform a delayed charge from either the car or the wall box ?.
Under the OLEV grant, you have to install a “Smart” wall box to use on your ZS EV.
There is nothing “SMART” about a box that can not be controlled to take advantage of cheaper “Off - Peak” electric in my mind !.
Unfortunately, the Pod Point qualifies as 'smart' as it connects via the home's wi-fi and can update itself over the air!

Whilst I'm really looking forward to the rollout of the timed charging facility, I will miss the opportunity to use the fingerbot! 🤣 😅

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom