• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

PodPoint timed charging?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 7kw podpoint home charger. I know that this has been discussed across several posts and forums but can anyone recommend a way that I can set up a timed charge overnight between 12.30am and 4am to get cheap rates? My car has the 2nd gen bms. I’ve emailed podpoint and asked if they intend to upgrade their current basic app but as yet no reply. It seems silly having a cheap night rate and not being able to use it.

I got an electrician to install a timer to my pod point, it works a treat. £120 all in.
That sounds interesting. Do you have any more details please on how it’s installed, how the timer works, what parts are involved, how it works with podpoint etc? Thanks.

Upvote 0
He just cut the cable before the pod point box and fitted a timer with trio out switch, works great.

Attachments

• 16099675385968336689959759896340.jpg
    16099675385968336689959759896340.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
That’s great. Mines outside so it might not work for me. Is this just a one off or is it a company that I could contact? Thanks.

Upvote 0
mine is outside too, it's a waterproof box .
it's an electrician who just worked out what to do he is in leeds.

Upvote 0
Oh ok. Well I’m pleased that it works for you.

Upvote 0
Quick update. Podpoint emailed me back ref. my timed charging info request. They apparently have a revised app close to beta testing - no timescales though.
if you’d like to sign up for beta testing when it’s available here’s the link:
Pod Point Labs | Sign Up

Upvote 0
Thank you for this. I could put a timer in but had heard that things were being developed but had not found any details. Joined the beta testing

Upvote 0
Quick update. Podpoint emailed me back ref. my timed charging info request. They apparently have a revised app close to beta testing - no timescales though.
if you’d like to sign up for beta testing when it’s available here’s the link:
Pod Point Labs | Sign Up
I hate to be pessimistic on this as I'd love for them to come through, but Podpoint has been talking about this update being on the way for over a year. Last message I had from them this time last year was that this was going to be available in 2020. Obviously they have had a takeover and Covid19 to contend with so I'm giving them a free pass! But I hope that we aren't going to keep being fobbed off. It was the main reason I went with their charger!

Upvote 0
A quick update on my favourite topic (not). I’ve pressed PodPoint again regarding their app development timescales. I knew that I wouldn’t get anything specific regarding dates as I’ve tried hard before. I spoke to a lovely customer service person. She said it is definitely happening as she works in the office and sits near the testing team, who currently have the app in testing. I asked if maybe we could see it Q1 this Year - she wouldn’t be moved on a definite timescale. So - I do get a bit more comfort that something is coming! Based on my prodding around - I would guess at around June this Year is possible - although this is just a best guess. Heard nothing on involvement in the Beta programme.

Upvote 0
A quick update on my favourite topic (not). I’ve pressed PodPoint again regarding their app development timescales. I knew that I wouldn’t get anything specific regarding dates as I’ve tried hard before. I spoke to a lovely customer service person. She said it is definitely happening as she works in the office and sits near the testing team, who currently have the app in testing. I asked if maybe we could see it Q1 this Year - she wouldn’t be moved on a definite timescale. So - I do get a bit more comfort that something is coming! Based on my prodding around - I would guess at around June this Year is possible - although this is just a best guess. Heard nothing on involvement in the Beta programme.
It’s like waiting for Christmas, it takes FOREVER to arrive.
Maybe it will be available for Christmas, but nobody is saying WHICH Christmas that will be !.

Upvote 0
I’ve noticed a bit of activity in developer replies to customer complaints on the Apple app store recently. Perhaps the PodPoint revised app is coming after all - or not... still no timescale mentioned.

Upvote 0
Had this today from PodPoint developer - maybe it’s really happening this time...

Hello, thank you for raising your concerns over charge scheduling, it is a feature going through the final testing phases and will be ready soon. Please tune into our social media channels to receive any updates. Thank you "

Upvote 0
Had this today from PodPoint developer - maybe it’s really happening this time...

Hello, thank you for raising your concerns over charge scheduling, it is a feature going through the final testing phases and will be ready soon. Please tune into our social media channels to receive any updates. Thank you "
I just hope they add graph to show half hourly charging speeds. I'd like to know when/if Im balancing as well as timed scheduling.

Upvote 0
They could do so much - let’s see if anything at all happens...

Upvote 0
For those of you experiencing timed—charge issues with podpoint, I received this response from their customer support today. It’s not entirely clear but they have accepted there is an issue with the app. I also fitted a wifi range extender to try to address intermittent charge failures overnight. I‘ve replied about changing the charge times as it doesn’t make sense.

“Thank you for your email.

After reviewing your unit I can see that the WiFi extender has greatly improved your signal. The issue that you're having with your charging schedule displaying data on the previous day is a known app issue caused by the switch between GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and BST (British Summer Time +1), for example 00:30 on a Monday is displayed as 23:30 on Sunday.

As a temporary fix, you can change your scheduled times to 23:30 - 04:30 and this will then charge at the correct time and display the correct data.

Your charging unit is working fine and this is an issue that will hopefully be fixed in a future update to the app and we apologise for the inconvenience.

If you have any further issues please do not hesitate to contact us.”

Upvote 0
I have a 7kw podpoint home charger. I know that this has been discussed across several posts and forums but can anyone recommend a way that I can set up a timed charge overnight between 12.30am and 4am to get cheap rates? My car has the 2nd gen bms. I’ve emailed podpoint and asked if they intend to upgrade their current basic app but as yet no reply. It seems silly having a cheap night rate and not being able to use it.
I have recently had a Pod Point charger installed (three weeks ago). I downloaded the Pod Point app and in the ‘At Home’ section I can schedule timed charging for any time period on any day of the week. I have had no problems and it works perfectly. I have good WiFi so I don’t know if that might be an issue for others.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom