Poll: Is it ok to unplug another car that has finished charging so that you can charge yourself?

Is it ok to unplug another car that has finished charging so that you can charge yourself?

• Total voters
FYI

My ZS EV unlocks the charge port by pressing the door button, even though you don't have the smartkey with you, so anyone could unplug the car if it had finished charging.

Edit: on AC charging.
I think you need to confirm that, as what you just described is being able to unlock the entire car without the keys.

Look I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill , I don’t think this is a common occurrence why are we all trying to persecute another EV driver who is a couple of minutes late all the rapid chargers I have used already have a 90min £10 overstay charge . We are all pretty switched on people and know it takes roughly 40 mins so a walk coffee toilet break and we’re back , if the other car wants to carry on to the trickle charge that’s fine it’s there right.
So a little bit of patience is needed if your waiting for what is a rare occurrence in my opinion

I think you need to confirm that, as what you just described is being able to unlock the entire car without the keys.
I said that it unlocks the charge port so you can unplug the car, it doesn’t unlock the entire car. I have done it with my home charger.

I said that it unlocks the charge port so you can unplug the car, it doesn’t unlock the entire car. I have done it with my home charger.
Just tested, and can confirm that if you do not have the keys in the vicinity of the car - the buttons do nothing.

When they are up close, the door buttons unlock the entire car (including the charge port) - perhaps you are running the older software on your MG? (the one that doesn't let you charge with the car unlocked)

Just tested, and can confirm that if you do not have the keys in the vicinity of the car - the buttons do nothing.

When they are up close, the door buttons unlock the entire car (including the charge port) - perhaps you are running the older software on your MG? (the one that doesn't let you charge with the car unlocked)
I can charge mine with the car locked/unlocked, when I bought the car it came with that feature/update.

Did you test it after a full charge? Door buttons don’t unlock the charge port without the key whilst charging.

If my car had finished charging, I can unlock the charge port and unplug the connector without the key.

Edit: Hope there is nothing wrong with my car.

Last edited:
I can charge mine with the car locked/unlocked, when I bought the car it came with that feature/update.

Did you test it after a full charge? Door buttons don’t unlock the charge port without the key whilst charging.

If my car had finished charging, I can unlock the charge port and unplug the connector without the key.

Yup, it was full. Nothing unlocks my charge port except an unlock of the car. Hopefully stops theft of type2 cables! :)

Good idea but the offenders are making a considered decision not a mistake. I suspect that many of those who deliberately overstay will not care about etiquette/code of practise etc anyway and continue to behave as they do now. Punitive overstay measures are needed by all Charger service providers or how about the charger locks you to the charger until you call to get a release and pay your hefty fine after your overstay.

Many at park and rides for example are using it as a parking place (chargers are usually close to the buses) and in some other parking areas there is no charge for parking in a charging place, so they park there plugging their hybrid in which will be charged up in no time. They stay there all-day after getting a very short battery top up. I have also seen this at other places of work (where I have gone for meetings) where they arrive plug in and then stay plugged in all day hogging the charger (many are hybrid by the way).

I had to get reception in one case to chase the owners so I could get a charge for my MG5 to get home. They see it as their charger/parking space while they are at work and were not happy that I had asked for them to be moved. Reception said they are supposed to book slots for charge but rarely then move them after the slot ends or they book multiple slots for the whole day which the workplace fails to police (the car owners are often the mangers who should police these policies) The site I visited there was a vacant charger right by the front door, but I was told that its reserved for the site manager only who wasn't on site! but may or may not come in today.
It’s good to hear from someone with first hand experience of it.
I’m sure it would be pretty simple for the charger companies to change how they are billing, and they’ll make more money out of sorting out the issue too.

Yup, it was full. Nothing unlocks my charge port except an unlock of the car. Hopefully stops theft of type2 cables! :)
@rbpasapera @n0de Maybe worth confirming if it was a home fast charger being used or the granny charger (or a public AC charger). There maybe a difference in functionality depending on this?

So that means that if on an AC, usually untethered unless at home, that someone could unlock your charging port, unplug, then unplug at the other end and walk away with your cable. :eek:

So that means that if on an AC, usually untethered unless at home, that someone could unlock your charging port, unplug, then unplug at the other end and walk away with your cable. :eek:
Only if you're full he said, worrying though if you're on a destination charger.
I'm going to have to try this when I've done my monthly balance, I've never actually gone to full anywhere else but home.

This morning after being on a partial 4hour overnight charge on my home 7kW, the charge session had finished, the car was not full.
My ZS had the plug still locked in.
I pressed the door button without fob nearby and it unlocked the plug.
That’s with my tethered Ohme system.

Maybe worth confirming if it was a home fast charger being used or the granny charger (or a public AC charger). There maybe a difference in functionality depending on this?
I have done it with both home wallbox and granny charger.

Edit: and a public fast charger, too.

Last edited:
I think it's worth a try. Here, all public fast chargers are tethered.

This morning after being on a partial 4hour overnight charge on my home 7kW, the charge session had finished, the car was not full.
My ZS had the plug still locked in.
I pressed the door button without fob nearby and it unlocked the plug.
That’s with my tethered Ohme system.
Thanks for confirming that your car can unlock the charge port without the smartkey.

Edit: it's not just my car.

Last edited:
It would be really nice if the MG5 had an app so you could see the status of your charge.
Also some sort of external indication on the car itself - flashing light or something would be fine.
To make it easier for the owner to know when to come back.

I was on a motorway service station and started charging around 30% so I assumed it would be a while and we got some food. Came out and the car was done but I had no idea if it finished 2 seconds or 2 hours before. The other charger was in use too so I felt a bit bad for inadvertently charger squatting

I'm glad it doesn't release the cable whilst charging, unless you unlock the car.
Releasing the cable when finished on an AC charger by pressing the door button is worrying if you've left the car on a destination charger, but not so much if you always come back before it's full.

Fear Panic GIF by Diego Farao

FYI

My ZS EV unlocks the charge port by pressing the door button, even though you don't have the smartkey with you, so anyone could unplug the car if it had finished charging.

Edit: on AC charging.
Now that’s interesting. It shouldn’t do that as no locking mechanism (door, boot, charge flap or charge lock) should change its lock status without having the key.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom