Poll: Is it ok to unplug another car that has finished charging so that you can charge yourself?

Is it ok to unplug another car that has finished charging so that you can charge yourself?

• Total voters
Some MAY find the whole debate of charging differently, after watching this video ?.

This is just an opinion piece. You may agree with some of the expressed opinions or you may not. Just because someone has made a youtube video doesn't make their opinion more valid.

The attitude I find worst is the twin "I'm here first and will stay as long as I want" and "you toucha my car I smasha your face"

I think it is a bit selfish to sit on a rapid for a very long time if others are waiting but there is no excuse for hitting the red button or interfering with a car that is legitimately charging. I have on 4 occasions disconnected cars from rapids that were not charging. On each time I have taken a photo of the charger not delivering a charge, waited 5 mins and taken a second photo,unplugged the other car and started my own session. In each case I have waited with my car. On 2 occasions I had completed my charge and left before other drivers returned. On one occasion the other driver was a bit sheepish - I think they may have simply plugged in to get free parking and had never even initiated a charge. On the 4th occasion the other driver was quite irate but I showed them the evidence that their car had not been charging for at least 5 mins (be that because the charger had thrown a wobbly or because they hadn't initiated the charge properly), then offered to stop my charge and give way if they wanted and they were fine.

This is just an opinion piece. You may agree with some of the expressed opinions or you may not. Just because someone has made a youtube video doesn't make their opinion more valid.

The attitude I find worst is the twin "I'm here first and will stay as long as I want" and "you toucha my car I smasha your face"

I think it is a bit selfish to sit on a rapid for a very long time if others are waiting but there is no excuse for hitting the red button or interfering with a car that is legitimately charging. I have on 4 occasions disconnected cars from rapids that were not charging. On each time I have taken a photo of the charger not delivering a charge, waited 5 mins and taken a second photo,unplugged the other car and started my own session. In each case I have waited with my car. On 2 occasions I had completed my charge and left before other drivers returned. On one occasion the other driver was a bit sheepish - I think they may have simply plugged in to get free parking and had never even initiated a charge. On the 4th occasion the other driver was quite irate but I showed them the evidence that their car had not been charging for at least 5 mins (be that because the charger had thrown a wobbly or because they hadn't initiated the charge properly), then offered to stop my charge and give way if they wanted and they were fine.
EV Nick makes some good points in this video, but a couple of his suggestions are a bit OTT.
Like the idea of plugging into a A/C fast post, then going missing for long periods of time and therefore “Claiming The Post” all day, does not sit well with me TBH.
Some or all of these suggestion are going to controversial to different types of people.
Unless 99% of the EV users follow the same protocol, then your pretty much buggered regardless 🤣 !.
All of the issues surrounding EV charging behaviour is triggered by the same thing, the lack of working units to use for everybody.
If you arrived at your local car park that supported EV charging and they had twenty units in a row, but one had been blocked by an ICE driver, would you throw a massive wobble and release your frustration on the driver incorrectly parking ?.
No - You could not be a toss TBH.
More chargers mean less frustration and less confrontation with other drivers.
Charger installations need to increase at a much faster rate than the EV sales, if we are going to be ready for end to ordering ICE vehicles in only a few years time.
Otherwise witnessing confrontation at charging posts is going to be a daily issue for the authorities to deal with.
It is fairly rare to see people having a argument over using a petrol ⛽️ pump ( unless there is a shortage of fuel ) - Why ?.
Because there is loads of units within a very short drive of each other.
That is where we need to be with EV’s and quickly !.

In a few seconds after pressing the door button, mine will lock the plug again.

That sound you heard is the lock mechanism being released, IMO.
I think you would have to get someone to press the button whilst you pull the plug then as it locked back in pretty quickly, I pressed the button and went straight to the plug.
My fear is that someone could break the locking mechanism attempting to pull the plug when it's locked back in. It feels as if a good tug could do it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom