Poor range on used Trophys - Problem?

Depends on what's covered I suppose but it seems unlikely you'd spend that.
Yes, guess you are right...In two minds whether to stick only to those that were serviced on the dot (and pay more, I guess) or risk it without MG warranty and hope for the best....

"Do you feel lucky, punk?
disney money GIF

My 64kw car has been getting 140-180 mile predictions over the winter. Its normally 210-230 in summer.

Fair bit of A road driving.

The 280 mile prediction is BS. Budget for a 200m range

My 64kw car has been getting 140-180 mile predictions over the winter. Its normally 210-230 in summer.

Fair bit of A road driving.

The 280 mile prediction is BS. Budget for a 200m range
Seen an article today that most EVs real life range is about 30% less than the manufacturer quoted one... So for 280 quoted, you realistically get 200 or less

Depends what you're measuring. In summer you might get the WLTP range genuinely showing on the GOM, but you're not going to drive it down to zero, are you? Then again, if you're rapid charging, you're probably only going to charge to 80%, and if you then drive down to 10% as your absolute limit, there's your 30% less.

Then again, start hoofing it on the motorway, or driving in sub-zero temperatures, less again.

I'm glad I realised all this before I got my car.

The range is not the important figure. The important figure is the m/kWh. Think of an ICE car , no one mentions the range , you talk in mpg. With an ICE car few people actually achieve the quoted mpg but everyone accepts this . The EV is just the same except everyone gets hung up on "range" . We should be more bothered about m/kWh , that's the important figure , getting the most out of your quids worth of electricity. If there was an EV out there that achieved 6 m/kWh I would buy it as long as it looked decent and performed well of course. 👍😄

Ive had scenarios where an 80 mile prediction wasnt matching up at all to the reality.

Measuring 10 miles traveled against a 10 mile drop in range was showing around 4 miles shortfall on a cold day. I was finding instances where predictions were totally out and mentally calculating against miles per kw to battery % remaining was a better indicator of reality.

I was struggling to better 2.4-2.7 miles/kw in 4C temperature at 60-70mph on the flat

Do you let the pack balance-charge at least every week? Have you done the <10% to 100% and balance charge that's supposed to be done every 3-6 months? These seem to be the best way for keeping the GOM telling the truth.

I'm getting the same efficiency as you are at that temperature.

Truthfully I have never seen less than 3 even when it's really cold, over 14 months and 18.5 k miles. But guess it's down to the type of driving / roads.
And add to that ... the typical length of journeys (in a single stint). Short journeys of up to 30 minutes, especially in colder weather, will hammer your efficiency if you have HVAC running as it uses energy to bring the cabin up to the set temperature. On longer journeys then the HVAC is simply ticking over, so overall efficiency improves. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back