Preheating the MG ZS EV

Reygun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Greetings All, have any of you heard of an update for the MG enabling us to preheat the car on frosty mornings ?

Seems a bit old-fashioned not to be able to do that in this day and age. I noted that Björn Nyland had tried some workaround to no avail. Any rumours of an upcoming upgrade to solve this issue ?

I don't think the UK MG has the hardware connectivity to do that sadly, i.e. connection with an app. There is a workaround of sorts from OVMS which you can read about here, but it does looks like functionality is limited at the moment and I'd say it's definately work in progress.

I don't think the UK MG has the hardware connectivity to do that sadly, i.e. connection with an app. There is a workaround of sorts from OVMS which you can read about here, but it does looks like functionality is limited at the moment and I'd say it's definately work in progress.
Thank you for the information. Yes, hopefully MG will come up with some solution to this. It seems so straight forward to be able to set a timer to start the heater of the car at say half past seven in the morning. Ideally it would run for say fifteen minutes and then we would be entering an ice-free car.

I think it’s very unlikely that this kind of capability is going to be retrofitted by MG. It might appear in a future model.

I think it’s very unlikely that this kind of capability is going to be retrofitted by MG. It might appear in a future model.

I suppose they could issue a software update like @Reygun says where you can set a time for the heater/seats/aircon/whatever to come on. They could even stipulate, or make it an option, that the car has to be connected to a charger to do this so the batteries aren't drained but as for doing it over an app directly connecting to the car, there's no hardware in the vehicle to allow this.

I suppose they could issue a software update like @Reygun says where you can set a time for the heater/seats/aircon/whatever to come on. They could even stipulate, or make it an option, that the car has to be connected to a charger to do this so the batteries aren't drained but as for doing it over an app directly connecting to the car, there's no hardware in the vehicle to allow this.
Thats the way it was on my old ioniq, I do miss the pre heat

My you're a nesh lot. :LOL:
I used to drive a Ford Cortina, in the winter, back in the 70s that had no thermostat in the cooling system, so no heat for quite a while, as it took the engine ages to warm up. Big sheepskin coat and de-icer spray for those frosty mornings. ;)

Mine lives in a (slightly) heated garage most of the time, so not so much of a problem.

My wife used to have a diesel Golf, that took ages to get warm.....and yes I tried changing the thermostat, to no avail.

This icy morning, after charging my MG on a granny cable overnight, I found that the MG was totally ice-free, whereas my Skoda was covered in ice. Lo and behold, it looks like the charging procedure itself creates some heat, thus keeping the car ice-free. Anyone else experience this ?

This icy morning, after charging my MG on a granny cable overnight, I found that the MG was totally ice-free, whereas my Skoda was covered in ice. Lo and behold, it looks like the charging procedure itself creates some heat, thus keeping the car ice-free. Anyone else experience this ?
I have not experienced this.

Was it nearer the house ?

My you're a nesh lot. :LOL:
I used to drive a Ford Cortina, in the winter, back in the 70s that had no thermostat in the cooling system, so no heat for quite a while, as it took the engine ages to warm up. Big sheepskin coat and de-icer spray for those frosty mornings. ;)
Yes that was me back in the 70s. 18 years old, sheepskin coat, Mk1 GT Ford Cortina, frosty morning, black ice, 180 degree turn, 70mph backwards into a ditch. I lived to appreciate the joys of pre-heating 15 minutes before departing for work at 5.00am on a full charge courtesy of the BMW I3 facility. Now I am retired I don't need to get up at unearthly hours before the sun has risen so enjoy the superb comfort of the MG ZS EV. I traded the I3 after almost 4 years of untroubled 28,000 inexpensive miles for the MG. I look forward to as many miles again, hopefully trouble free.

You have been very lucky Chrispydoc........Pouring boiling water onto frozen glass is asking for trouble.
I used to work outdoors for years and I can remember seeing a guy who used to come out every winters morning and pour the boiling kettle over his windscreen until one morning when suddenly it shattered. He just stood there looking at it as if to say..."What happened".
Two years later he changed his car and did exactly the same to his new Vauxhall.
Crazy or what!

Ah, the fabled de-icer spray, also used on the outside of the windscreen as well
I never used it on the inside, it would've smeared my coating of anti-mist. ;)

I never used it on the inside, it would've smeared my coating of anti-mist. ;)
Anti mist.. dont talk to me. I have applied two different brands of anti mist, the latest was rainx and neither stop the mist. They didnt even reduce it

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom