Question for mg4 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add to the others the 2.Xmi/kWh being reported does seem oddly low, I've only had the one test drive (extended on booked for Thursday) which was ~8 miles but in that time it averaged 3.6m/kWh, not amazing but I floored it a few times up to the speed limit to get a feel of things so not exactly the most economical driving either.

Initially the heating was off but I turned on the demister (which turned the heating on) for a few minutes and then turned that off but left the ac/heating on for the rest of the trip at whatever settings it was at.

Thanks for these 'mpg' or miles per kwh values. So on a standard 34p tariff (forgetting about using silly 70p per kwh on some publics), at 3.6miles you're paying 34p/3.6 = 9.4p per mile.
Doing my usual funnies and asking a Yaris 1.5 hybrid owner in a Tesco car park at 9:10am (!!) to 'show me your mpg', his display had, off the top of my head: 66,69,80 and 65 (I'm sure!). Taking it as 66mpg and at £1.66 per litre petrol cost, that works out at 11.4p per mile. Not that bad, all in all.

basically being too lazy and find the 'effort' too much to simply just use the hand brake :unsure:
God, that's one of my pet hates, some of these LED brake lights are truly horrible in their intensity.
That and the 'cant be arsed' attitude of not using indicators on roundabouts, it takes so little effort and greatly helps your fellow motorists :mad:

Thanks for these 'mpg' or miles per kwh values. So on a standard 34p tariff (forgetting about using silly 70p per kwh on some publics), at 3.6miles you're paying 34p/3.6 = 9.4p per mile.
Doing my usual funnies and asking a Yaris 1.5 hybrid owner in a Tesco car park at 9:10am (!!) to 'show me your mpg', his display had, off the top of my head: 66,69,80 and 65 (I'm sure!). Taking it as 66mpg and at £1.66 per litre petrol cost, that works out at 11.4p per mile. Not that bad, all in all.
If you can get on to a tariff like Octopus Go you will be paying even less. Our average is less than 2p a mile but will go slightly above that as winter kicks in.

If you can get on to a tariff like Octopus Go you will be paying even less. Our average is less than 2p a mile but will go slightly above that as winter kicks in.
Yes, I looked them up, and for new sign ups (I presume they still take them on) it's 12p/kwh for 4 hours and 42p/kwh for 20 hours.
I got a feeling thought that the 23-4% increase on the day and evening rates over even a bog standard 34p tafrrif, will see robbing Peter to pay Paul- save charging the EV after 12:30 am for 4 hours, negated by daily/evening 'normal use' like TVs, kettles, life etc. Kind of what you gain in chips you loose in beans?

God, that's one of my pet hates, some of these LED brake lights are truly horrible in their intensity.
That and the 'cant be arsed' attitude of not using indicators on roundabouts, it takes so little effort and greatly helps your fellow motorists :mad:
Yes, all adds to the reason why I won't buy a car with anything over pre reg miles on it. If you see how 99% of 'drivers' drive by me over speed bumps, blazing brake lights, up on curbs etc, no way I'd pay ££££££ for a car after they've drove it. That way, I don't need to worry about how it was driven once the 'new car' novelty wore off.

Yes, I looked them up, and for new sign ups (I presume they still take them on) it's 12p/kwh for 4 hours and 42p/kwh for 20 hours.
I got a feeling thought that the 23-4% increase on the day and evening rates over even a bog standard 34p tafrrif, will see robbing Peter to pay Paul- save charging the EV after 12:30 am for 4 hours, negated by daily/evening 'normal use' like TVs, kettles, life etc. Kind of what you gain in chips you loose in beans?
Its a shame the tariff has changed so much. We are paying 7.5p for 4 hours and just over 34p for the other 20 hours.

Its a shame the tariff has changed so much. We are paying 7.5p for 4 hours and just over 34p for the other 20 hours.
Will it go to that worse rate though once your current contract is up? That's how it seems to be with many companies.

Will it go to that worse rate though once your current contract is up? That's how it seems to be with many companies.
Who knows. We are fortunate that we came off the 5p and 15p Octopus Go tariff and our new tariff is fixed until August 2023. I guess what happens between Ukraine and Russia will have a huge bearing. We also had solar and a battery installed this September and I am saving a few quid by charging the battery off peak and discharging it during the day as well as heating our hot water off peak etc. So we are fortunate that we can maximise our use of the off-peak rate.

True. What i do there though is something I got on some advanced driving youtube channel. Rather than just indicate on auto pilot, I 'read the roundabout' and ask do i need to indicate? Meaning, I'm looking around and seeing if there are other's waiting to pull out, or pedestrians etc, so of course I indicate. If it seems that an indication would be seen by no one, then I don't. The theory is that you are assessing the situation and making a judgement based on what's occurring, rather than zombie-like hitting the indicator stalk (or not) oblivious to surroundings.

Does 'auto hold' still have the rear brake lights burning the user behind? I ask as i see zillions of 'drivers' at lights with their rear light burning constantly, and i wondered if there was another reason other than basically being too lazy and find the 'effort' too much to simply just use the hand brake :unsure:
Yes, this what autohold does. You brake to a stop and then the car just holds itself. It is so convenient that people use it all the time. I have NEVER applied the handbrake manually on my Skoda that has this.

The downside as you say is the brake lights on all the time.

Actually, given how much energy charging the car uses, you don’t need to do many miles before it is cheaper on 42p/12p.

There’s a spreadsheet on this on one of the charging threads, I will dig out a reference.

Actually, given how much energy charging the car uses, you don’t need to do many miles before it is cheaper on 42p/12p.

There’s a spreadsheet on this on one of the charging threads, I will dig out a reference.
It is Gomev’s spreadsheet here:

Yes, this what autohold does. You brake to a stop and then the car just holds itself. It is so convenient that people use it all the time. I have NEVER applied the handbrake manually on my Skoda that has this.

The downside as you say is the brake lights on all the time.
Fair enough, To be honest though, pulling up, taking my foot off the brake and putting on the handbrake isn't 'inconvenient' at least to me, takes like 1 second of 'effort'.

It is Gomev’s spreadsheet here:
Thanks. The standard charge difference is not too much. In fact i think Go is a few p cheaper than British Gas's standard tarif electricity standing charge.

Fair enough, To be honest though, pulling up, taking my foot off the brake and putting on the handbrake isn't 'inconvenient' at least to me, takes like 1 second of 'effort'.
Agreed, but auto hold is even easier and very quickly you forget that you have a hand brake (car automatically applies it when in Park).

I get that it may be inconsiderate but I expect many people just don’t think about it.

Ideally there’d be different levels of brightness in brake lights for sharp, moderate and stationary braking.

Hi, I currently drive am MG zs ev. I had a 2nd test drive in the MG4 yesterday, firstly the small screen behind the steering wheel was vibrating and making all sorts of noises, when I held it they stopped. Secondly I drove 25 miles averaging 20mph in eco with heating on and the consumption was 2.3 mpkwh, which I found terrible. I had done a trip from York to Bradford and back on Saturday in the ZS and archived 3.4 mpkwh with the heating on and motorway driving. So I would like to know peoples experiences please....
Had my MG4 Trophy for a couple of weeks, only been to pub and back until this weekend when we went from Hull to Leeds and back.
Charged car with "granny charger" to 95%. 2 days later we set off, it then said 94%.
After getting there charge was 60% (I think), after a couple of days sat, it said 58%.
Whole trip was 134 miles, remaining charge 22%.
So: 95% to 22% is 73% charge (approx 46.7kwh of the 64kwh battery)
Overall average: 2.86 miles per kwh.
On the way there drove steady 66mph ish (see irritation below)
On way back motored along at 80/85.
Annoyances: Constant 'Drowsy' and 'Get a coffee' warnings. Also BONG! and flashing 'National Limit' sign while doing 65mph !!!! (***!!!!!)

Had my MG4 Trophy for a couple of weeks, only been to pub and back until this weekend when we went from Hull to Leeds and back.
Charged car with "granny charger" to 95%. 2 days later we set off, it then said 94%.
After getting there charge was 60% (I think), after a couple of days sat, it said 58%.
Whole trip was 134 miles, remaining charge 22%.
So: 95% to 22% is 73% charge (approx 46.7kwh of the 64kwh battery)
Overall average: 2.86 miles per kwh.
On the way there drove steady 66mph ish (see irritation below)
On way back motored along at 80/85.
Annoyances: Constant 'Drowsy' and 'Get a coffee' warnings. Also BONG! and flashing 'National Limit' sign while doing 65mph !!!! (***!!!!!)
80/85 will give you poor efficiency. Best with an EV to not go over 65, if you care about efficiency.

(Not everyone does and if charging is cheap at home and range sufficient, happy days, drive as fast as you’d like).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums