Range Angst..... not in this cab.....

Loveclose

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Arrived at my planned charging spot on 9%..... its gone up to 10% only cos I started the charging process veggie taking the photo....

Whilst I had every confidence that I'd make my charge destination, I did wonder what would happen after 10% mesh had been passed and on into single figures.
Sudden rapid deterioration of percentage charge and/ or mileage projection??

I had a reasonable constant buffer of 20 miles.

Retrospectively, was I in any danger of the range suddenly falling?

Attachments

• 20240422_153148.jpg
    20240422_153148.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 37
You'll be fine, so long as you have balanced your battery as recommended. Bjorn Nyland ran a Trophy to dead and spent 15 miles or something like that circling an Ikea car park waiting for it to die, AFTER it was showing 0% and 0 km.

I've run my SR down under 10% several times with no issues, once to 4%. I can't remember what the SoC was on Saturday when I rolled into Aberdeen, but I think the GOM said seven miles. It asked me at 12 miles whether I wanted to turn on energy saving mode and I said yes, but I have no idea what that did because the car's performance didn't change and I never saw a turtle. I had no worries at all because I know that car tells me the truth and doesn't suddenly drop range at the end.

It is recommended to balance the Trophy's pack once a month, and also (once every three to six months) to run it down under 10%, let it sit for a bit, then charge it all the way to 100% and balance on an AC charger. This lets the car see the full range of the discharge curve, and so calibrate the GOM as accurately as possible so you don't get any nasty surprises.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back