I did a battery/range test on the way home from work today, just out of curiosity. Don't have exact numbers or % but at approx 5% with 9 miles left (after having earlier warnings) it limited power on me. Awkward as I was on a flat 40 road and couldn't top 26. I then got some regen benefit and with 6 range range I started the remaining 3.3 miles journey along the coast near Brighton. Again it flashed a message and limited me on an incline 40 road to just 17 which could have been dodgy but for the rainy conditions and people driving a bit slower (luckily). I then took a quiet side road and plodded along and on the final stretch (again an incline) decided to pull over to let people by before finally racing driveway. Audi e-tron was more composed in similar situation and could easily do 30 with similar % etc. Needless to say, I'll be recharging at 10% minimum now but at least I know what happens.

Define ‘winter car’ because I’m having no issues

Let me expand.
Some countries are colder than others especially during the winter
The uk is relatively mild compared to even Central Europe.
Finland I guess is really cold. So you must invest more in keeping the battery warm. Do you have a heated garage? How much is your electricity costing you? How much range do you need on a daily basis?
Winter car = heat pump and NMC battery chemistry that is less prone to cold. Also battery temperature display ;)

I don't have real issues, just inconveniences; I get electricity for free at my workplace but still I don't like it being wasted. The SE is really struggling to keep the battery warm, the efficiency rarely dips below 29.8kWh/100km when intelligent battery heating is on even if I heat it up beforehand. I don't know if the battery is heated using a heat pump in Luxury/Trophy model.

Winter car = heat pump and NMC battery chemistry that is less prone to cold. Also battery temperature display ;)

I don't have real issues, just inconveniences; I get electricity for free at my workplace but still I don't like it being wasted. The SE is really struggling to keep the battery warm, the efficiency rarely dips below 29.8kWh/100km when intelligent battery heating is on even if I heat it up beforehand. I don't know if the battery is heated using a heat pump in Luxury/Trophy model.
Do you have any OBD-II readings to show the temperature of the battery after pre heat? And long it takes before the IBH intervenes?

My Lr Gom is stating 191miles with 97% charge. It seems to have lost 90+ miles. Has anyone else got this issue? I know it a guessometer but that’s a significant drop

Oops should have read the thread properly as that is about a 30% drop. 🤬winter🤬
Yeah. I’ve gone from 219 to 109 in my sr. That’s a big drop. I was expecting some loss but 50% is a lot.

Do you have any OBD-II readings to show the temperature of the battery after pre heat? And long it takes before the IBH intervenes?
has the PID for battery temp been decoded for the MG4? when I last looked it hadnt as it was different to all the other MGs, possibly due to new MSP platform.

has the PID for battery temp been decoded for the MG4? when I last looked it hadnt as it was different to all the other MGs, possibly due to new MSP platform.
On Car Scanner I enabled the MG4 experimental feature and Battery Temperature appears and seems to be accurate.
IMG_1210.jpeg

I've driven my SE LR Ayr to Dunfermline and back today. I started on 80% and finished on 24% with a 16kWh top up on the way back. Total distance is 170miles of which 83% is dual carriageway or motorway. Round trip was 3.3miles/kWh which would give 202miles full to empty. Temperature was 7c. It was raining most of the time and all the roads were wet. I think that is a perfectly decent range in those conditions.

300miles in an SR? Maybe if you stick to 20mph on the flat with a tailwind.

Last edited:
I can only dream of 7C these days. It has thawed a bit since I last drove the car on Tuesday, but I don't think I've seen it above zero for a couple of weeks.

@Rolfe I think it depends if you know how to drive an EV in the winter too. I (or I should say we) my partner and I both had Renault Zoe's 22kw 2013 and 2018 40Kw and neither of us saw a huge drop off in the winter even with days of sub zero temperatures. We probably dropped 20% in total range during long bouts of cold. I have found the MG4 SE SR much better so far dropping probably only between 8 & 12% so far. We had 3 days so far around freezing and I was showing 209 on the GOM fully charged and so far this week I have had a MPKWH of between 3.5 and 3.9 but I am using the car in Eco mode and only running the heating periodically.

I have initially stuck the heater on to pre heat the car prior to going to work at 05;30 am and its fully warm and defrosted in 15 mins (not plugged in) I will recharge it this weekend and its currently showing 126 miles remaining (59% Battery) after doing 83 miles this week.

I am very impressed with this but do expect it to lower the range as we go weeks of colder weather if we get it that is.

Also I do not have a home wallbox and use my Menekes Granny charger every weekend to top it back to 100% which takes about 10 hours to get back to full charge with an average charging rate of 1.77Kw

I don't put the car in eco, and to be honest I'd rather use the electricity than be cold. I might try eco just to see what difference it makes. You're probably right that I need to modify my driving habits.

Here's a question. On 23rd December I have to do a drive of 187 miles. I dread to think how busy the chargers will be, but I really don't fancy risking that without charging, no way. (Although the last eight miles or so are downhill!) Actually my preference even in summer is to charge on the way. I have a number of options, but I'm worried I'll find everything very busy.

ABRP has offered various suggestions, usually perming the Carlisle Ionitys and the Booth's chargers in Penrith and Kirkby Lonsdale. It's favouring two charges at the moment.

1702061241509.png

I think it's going to be cold over Christmas. What would be your suggested approach to this one?

Up there is very northern lol and as weird as it sounds Ive found supermarket chargers seem to have been free whenever I have looked about as I do my work. Quite a few Morrisons chargers have been empty and in working order. I agree with you I expect those chargers on your list will be busy as they are what will show up if everyone does a plan I have always looked for chargers near to main ones and looked at reviews and last time used as sometimes you can work out less popular ones therefore ones that are more likely to be less busy. Just my thought on this

Oh and putting the car in Eco only seems to add about 10 - 15 miles extra

Like a taxi today. Eight runs, totalling 47 miles, in the space of a few hours. 30/40mph areas, with a bit of derestricted dual carriageway - averaging 16mph. A/C on, headlights for half the time. 3.2 overall.

I don't put the car in eco, and to be honest I'd rather use the electricity than be cold. I might try eco just to see what difference it makes. You're probably right that I need to modify my driving habits.

Here's a question. On 23rd December I have to do a drive of 187 miles. I dread to think how busy the chargers will be, but I really don't fancy risking that without charging, no way. (Although the last eight miles or so are downhill!) Actually my preference even in summer is to charge on the way. I have a number of options, but I'm worried I'll find everything very busy.

ABRP has offered various suggestions, usually perming the Carlisle Ionitys and the Booth's chargers in Penrith and Kirkby Lonsdale. It's favouring two charges at the moment.

View attachment 22098

I think it's going to be cold over Christmas. What would be your suggested approach to this one?

For me the most important part of that journey would be a stop at the Courtyard Dairy for cheese. It is about 13 miles beyond Booth's in KL, just after the turning for Austwick.

Up there is very northern lol and as weird as it sounds Ive found supermarket chargers seem to have been free whenever I have looked about as I do my work. Quite a few Morrisons chargers have been empty and in working order. I agree with you I expect those chargers on your list will be busy as they are what will show up if everyone does a plan I have always looked for chargers near to main ones and looked at reviews and last time used as sometimes you can work out less popular ones therefore ones that are more likely to be less busy. Just my thought on this

Oh and putting the car in Eco only seems to add about 10 - 15 miles extra

I think the Carlisle Ionitys will be less busy than Gretna, which is usually heaving. (They're not signposted from the motorway, and as they're at the "Truckstop" I think car drivers don't always think about stopping there.) The next motorway service stations (Todhills and Southwaite) only have the standard 50 Kw Gridserves (3 CCS plugs, and at Todhills that has to do for both carriageways!) and are also likely to be very busy with people who just think, motorway service station, OK I'll go there. Tebay southbound is Tesla-only, and Killington Lake is a complete disaster with the Gridserves unable to manage more than about 38 Kw.

On the other hand, these dire alternatives may suck up some of the potential queues. The drivers who are out and about just before Christmas may not all be terribly clued-up.

If I thought I could get all the way from a 100% charge at Carlisle I might be tempted to do it, unless I was in serious danger of being lynched. (There are 12 350 Kw chargers so I might get away with it.) On the other hand, that's still 115 miles, with the first 55 miles being at motorway speeds and the next 60 miles climbing over the Pennines. I'm not sure.

Another possibility is a single charge at Booth's in Penrith, but there are only two 120 Kw chargers there. I don't know if people are likely to queue seriously at supermarket car park chargers though. That's 95 miles and then 93 miles, but again if I ask ABRP about that it still wants me to pick up a bit more (7 minutes) in Kirkby Lonsdale before heading across the Pennines.

1702062991393.png

On these figures I would have thought that staying at Penrith to 80% would do it, and although ABRP might think that would take longer, it could be worth it not to have to queue at Kirkby Lonsdale for a second time. However, even if I change the settings to "few but long" it refuses to alter that recommendation for two stops.

I finally got it to do it, but only after eliminating all its suggested chargers around Kendal/Kirkby Lonsdale, where it really, really wanted me to stop. But in the end it gave in and said just a 28-minute charge to 77% which gave a faster time than the no restrictions "quickest time" request. Strange are the ways of ABRP.

1702063555778.png

I can't decide between going straight to Penrith and just damn well sitting there until I get a charger, or doing the Carlisle/Kirkby Lonsdale thing which could be safer, because if the Penrith chargers were actually out of action I might have trouble getting all the way to Kirkby Lonsdale as it's 132 miles. It's a bit of a desert out there, nothing but occasional pathetically slow chargers here and there.

Like a taxi today. Eight runs, totalling 47 miles, in the space of a few hours. 30/40mph areas, with a bit of derestricted dual carriageway - averaging 16mph. A/C on, headlights for half the time. 3.2 overall.

Well, if a lot of your driving is in speed restricted areas, I guess you'll do better.

For me the most important part of that journey would be a stop at the Courtyard Dairy for cheese. It is about 13 miles beyond Booth's in KL, just after the turning for Austwick.

I've passed it often. I was thinking of just buying the cheese in Booth's, and getting a refund on my parking. Don't they sell it? I got some pretty decent cheese last time I charged there in the summer, but I don't remember where it came from.

I've passed it often. I was thinking of just buying the cheese in Booth's, and getting a refund on my parking. Don't they sell it? I got some pretty decent cheese last time I charged there in the summer, but I don't remember where it came from.
Courtyard dairy is a retailer rather than a producer. The have a fantastic range of very good artisan cheeses but might be a bit empty by the 23rd.

Looking at your plan, Carlisle Ionity followed by Booth's would also be my plan but the is nothing else between there and Halifax at 50kW or more (unless I've missed it). My plan B if Booth's was broken/too busy would be to head for J35 of the M6 910.3 miles where there is a Porsche dealership with a 350kW charger and then continue M6/M61/M62 which gives you a wide selection of other chargers if necessary.

The A65 goes through rather than over the Pennines. The highest elevation appears to be around 200m.

I've driven past it more times than I can count, but never actually gone in. I must remedy that at some stage, although perhaps as you say two days before Christmas might not be the best moment.

There's a 75 Kw Osprey in Skipton which looks quite useful to bear in mind, also a 50 Kw one a few streets away. But if I get charged at Kirkby Lonsdale I have no issues with getting to Halifax from there even if it's freezing. It's only about 55 miles. If I do that I'll probably charge up to 80% just to save charging time when I get to Halifax, as the seldom-used type 2 chargers outside my friend's house have an inexplicable 4-hour time limit on them. I'd happily let the car sit there overnight, I can even see the chargers from my bedroom window, but no, four hours is all you get. That is once you get on one because they are usually ICEd up.

I suppose the 12 Ionitys followed by the four 50 Kw Kirkby Lonsdale Instavolts is the safe option. It's just that a single stop at the 125 Kw Penrith Instavolts is so so tempting. But there's no doubt that the Penrith chargers are busier, and there's only two of them.

I know about Porsche South Lakes, and also about the Instavolt at Greenlands Farm nearby - I've charged at that. There are also ways and means of accessing the Burton-in-Kendal Gridserves coming from the north, at a pinch. The trouble with all of these is that if I have gone straight to Penrith then failed to get a charge there, they are too far in winter. (Greenlands Farm is my preferred stop driving south in summer, at least until they upgrade Forton which I think I could reach, but that may be the 12th of Never.)

The odd thing about that road is that it doesn't seem like much of a climb on the way east, but after you pass about Denholme the drop down to Halifax is very pronounced.

I must remedy that at some stage, although perhaps as you say two days before Christmas might not be the best moment.
This is the main thing causing the worry. In my experience you want to guarantee making the destination as early as possible, even if this requires some sacrifice.

I still think the best way is to slow down and take the more tortoise strategy instead of the hare.

90% will get you the 115 miles from Carlisle, only requiring ~2.6 mi/kWh. At 56 mph this should be easy with an already warm battery and car. I would expect at least 3 mi/kWh at that speed with some heating.

Get to Carlisle, plug in and max the heating whilst charging. The charge should warm the battery a bit and the energy to keep the cabin warm should be minimal after it's warmed up.

Have you tried playing with ABRP using different maximum speeds, the results might be surprising?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 527 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back