Range drop after charging 100%

Mihir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a standard range ZS EV and since the last 2 times whenever I have charged it to 100%, I see the available range shown drop from 198-199 miles to about 170 miles at 100% after charging. Any ideas on why this could be? Equalisation? A couple of times after I got the car delivered, it did give me 198 miles on 100%. But not anymore.
Any tips/ideas will be helpful.

If the outside temperature changes between it hitting 100% and you using it then you can likely see it change to reflect that.
My Zoe did it yesterday, albeit it went up ;)

On the gen1 you need to be in Eco mode with everything off and the battery balanced (usually) to get the advertised range showing. Could it be similar in your model? It might also help resetting the GOM trip and overall counters too, but as has been said, cold weather will drop the range.

@ARealHuman: Sure. ZS EV 2022 sets the mode to normal by default when we start the car. But Ill try what you have suggested. Set it to eco and then start the charge and then shut the car to see if that makes any difference. Weather has not changed a lot since the last 2 weeks and I suspect it should be what you have said about the eco mode setting. That said, is there a controlled way we can balance the batteries? Or does it have to be done via equalisation?

@ARealHuman: Sure. ZS EV 2022 sets the mode to normal by default when we start the car. But Ill try what you have suggested. Set it to eco and then start the charge and then shut the car to see if that makes any difference. Weather has not changed a lot since the last 2 weeks and I suspect it should be what you have said about the eco mode setting. That said, is there a controlled way we can balance the batteries? Or does it have to be done via equalisation?
That wont make any difference. The estimated mileage shown after charging is what you would get in Normal mode. Power the car on and put it in Eco with no heater etc and that should correspond to what you see after charging to 100%.

My long range show 233mile when 100% and 199mile 80% changed last week. Today it shows 177mile 80% charged.

I think it could be the weather? @Ding. Mine showed 171 when it was 100% for SR(should have been 198). When I sat in the car and changed the mode to eco, it showed 178. Everything else was off. Still a loss of 20 miles. I am assuming its either the weather or battery balancing. Does anyone know a way to set the default to eco mode? That way it can help us achieve/view the near advertised range when the car is charging overnight? @Lovemyev any ideas/thoughts?

In mine the "range drop" is because the heating is switched on and drive is not in "eco" mode.
To see the same range, switch those both off (and on again for a warm car that drives well!).

Everything is off in mine when I start the car @stapsell. I change to eco once I start the car and its 20 miles off. So am a bit surprised to see the range drop. Am fine with it as long as I know why this is happenning and there is something I can do to get back to the advertised range. I did see 198 miles when I got the car home from the dealer. So may be am doing something that I need to change? Or perhaps its just the weather.

Mine shows about the same range in Normal mode with no heating as it does in Eco mode with heating.

Advertised range = not real world range! I also find on my gen1 normal mode gives a better reflection of remaining range.

My MG5 LR does the same but I’ve noticed it’s in line with the recent trip computer. When I average 3 miles p/kw the range shows as 3 x 61kw = 180 miles. Likewise, as my right foot gets lighter and I average 3.5 miles p/kw the range at 100% shows as around 210 miles. I assume as the warmer weather rolls in and I start averaging 4+ miles p/kw the range at 100% will be closer to MG’s stated range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom