slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
MG5 FL

Been a while since I used a rapid charger but decided to pop round and try the shinny new MFG 150kw chargers round the corner from me. I didn’t preheat the battery and it was about 13c outside.

I was charging from 50 to 85% just to see the speed difference once it hit 80%.

What puzzled me was the speed never got over 41kw in the ~40 mins I was there. Surely the battery should have warmed up during that time and gone a lot higher?

It did drop at 80% to about 20kw which was expected.

I didn’t think to try another charger at time which was stupid I case it was the charger

I have the same issue on my SR, it doesn't seem to like 150kw chargers or they don't like it. I can never get higher than low 40s kwh.

I have the same issue on my SR, it doesn't seem to like 150kw chargers or they don't like it. I can never get higher than low 40s kwh.
Interesting this may be the first 150 I have tried. I am sure I got higher speeds before on others.

Anyone with a FL noticed any issues with 150 chargers?

Rapid charging speeds greatly depend on ambient temperature, 13 deg is less than half of the optimal NMC cell temp (add another 10 deg for SR LFP models).

By the time the battery heats up ‘naturally’ you’ve already gone past the max rate, therefore manual pre-heat might have made a difference, only way to know where you stand is to monitor the cell temperature via OBD

I have some shiny MFG’s near me and occasionally ‘splash and dash’ so I can get to work and then 7kW charging for free. In the cold weather I get ~40kWh.

I know from summer holiday in France that car will do 90kW when ambient is >30°C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I charged my pre facelift 5LR at Gridserves shiny new Gatwick hub today... Lovely place, Costa with a nice lounge... maximum seen was 50kW/hr... about standard at this time of year in my experience...

I charged my pre facelift 5LR at Gridserves shiny new Gatwick hub today... Lovely place, Costa with a nice lounge... maximum seen was 50kW/hr... about standard at this time of year in my experience...
I thought even in the winter if the battery is warm it should be able to charge close to the max is this not the case?

I thought even in the winter if the battery is warm it should be able to charge close to the max is this not the case?
That depends on your definition of ‘warm’; the BMS will throttle charging rates unless your cells are in the ‘Goldilocks’ temperature range.

It appears that even on long journeys your cells won’t heat up sufficiently to get into that ‘zone’ at low ambient temperatures..

That depends on your definition of ‘warm’; the BMS will throttle charging rates unless your cells are in the ‘Goldilocks’ temperature range.

It appears that even on long journeys your cells won’t heat up sufficiently to get into that ‘zone’ at low ambient temperatures..
Ok cool so battery warmer turned on it is.

On the FL you can turn it on manually through the info system. :)

Is it the same on the preFL?
Yes, but slightly different:
if you start it manually on a PFL it turns off again straight away if the cells are not cold enough, while on FL modes it stays on but doesn’t start heating if battery is above 9 deg

Yes, but slightly different:
if you start it manually on a PFL it turns off again straight away if the cells are not cold enough, while on FL modes it stays on but doesn’t start heating if battery is above 9 deg
Mine switches off at 0°C.

Mine switches off at 0°C.
I gather the behaviour greatly depends on the (BMS?) FW version, pFL seem to have different set points altogether, more info below

I gather the behaviour greatly depends on the (BMS?) FW version, pFL seem to have different set points altogether, more info below

I'll see what happens on my service next month . Though, hopefully , I won't be able to test it until November :)

Interesting this may be the first 150 I have tried. I am sure I got higher speeds before on others.

Anyone with a FL noticed any issues with 150 chargers?
Tried a bp pulse 150 last week. It started at 40 but after 10 mins was supposedly up to 100. It was in amps on charge display on car. Went down slightly after 80% but was in the 80s. No problems at all.

Tried a bp pulse 150 last week. It started at 40 but after 10 mins was supposedly up to 100. It was in amps on charge display on car. Went down slightly after 80% but was in the 80s. No problems at all.
Might well be that BMS turned on the battery heating automatically after you plugged in, any idea how cold it was on the day?

On a long haul trip with multi rapids I get: -

5C - 30-50kW rising to a max of 60kW by latter chargers
10C - 40-50kW rising to a max of 65kW by latter chargers
35-40C - 70kW rising to a max of 96kW by latter chargers

LR 2021

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom