Real experience of driving SR Trophy on a long journey

Hi @Mihir - thanks for posting your findings.
1.Range - You do not state what driving mode you where using at the time ?.
I am going to guess and say NORMAL ( default mode ) and therefore re-gen level 3 also ?.
If in ECO mode, the re-gen is weaker if I remember correctly.
Your consumption of the range, is affected by many different factors as you already know.
The predicted range before starting the trip was 211 miles I think you stated.
Question :- Did you reset BOTH trips prior to starting your long trip, as this figure feels a little optimistic to me ?.
You may well have seen a different prediction in range had you reset BOTH trips first.
If I have a longer trip to make ( like on Monday ) and intend to fully charge the pack the night before, then I ALWAYS reset the trips prior to charging to full.
The "Accumulative" trip stores your historic data, so if you have been conducting some lower speed town driving etc over the previous days and your efficiency is GOOD - It assumes that your following trip will be the same.
Therefore the reported prediction of your range, is based on the historical data stored, unless you reset the values.
We all want to believe that mileage we are seeing ( 211 ) is actually achievable in distance, but that is rarely that case.
So, you fully charge and your historical prediction is 211 miles, but this next trip is now all motorway driving, you may get a shock to see your range tumbling more quickly than you expected.
The car is now quickly trying to recalculate it's previous prediction of your remaining range, while now on the move.
This is why I believe your mileage dropped faster on the out going part of the longer trip, as it was re-evaluating it's first prediction.
It had a better handle on the situation on he return leg !.
Resetting the trips prior to making a longer should help avoid this situation.
I would say after two yeas of ownership, that the GOM does a fairly good job of predicting the range when the trips reset.
Not sure if the new face lift model SR is set up in the same way as the previous Gen1 version on the latest BMS software, but I would think so ?.
2. KERS - On the Gen1 ZS EV with the latest BMS update, the re-gen becomes available much earlier than the original BMS software, but again this is dependant on different factors, like ambient temperature / drive mode selected etc.
Re-gen is much weaker when the ambient temperature is low.
3. Silly moment - Yes closing the car down at a set of traffic lights, is not a great idea to be honest.
Had you rushed the "Boot Up" it could been a "Not Recommended" moment :eek: .
Never mind - it happens !.
@Lovemyev. Each of your explanation sits perfectly with what happenned! Wow this is incredible information for everyone reading this. I was on Eco mode but you are spoton. Did city driving for almost a week, reset the last trip data to 0 before charging and ambient temperature was low with KERS level 3. This is fantastic information and thanks to wonderful members like you, each day its so much new learning!

When driving long distance, I find it very useful to have the trip meter showing.
i watch the miles/kw closely. If one can keep the miles/kw to 3.5 or higher, I find the GOM will be accurate to the miles covered. Any less than 3.5, the achieved miles will be less than the GOM showed.
On long trips I always try to keep the heater off, but remember to turn off recirc so you get fresh air ventilation. If misting occurs, a quick blast on screen boost will clear it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom