• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rear interior light

Severnless

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We got a bit fed up with struggling getting my 2 girls in their infernal car seats with the most fiddly seat belt buckles going in the dark, SO...............
This is the result of a bit of fiddling!!
D72D98D4-2FBB-4A19-9F6C-25AD16551DD1.jpeg

40F7572C-2F92-4649-914D-571909A3A14B.jpeg
5021F873-1F66-4BE8-926B-1711346696B8.jpeg
61C9073D-ADEF-4417-83AA-023744A2B8CE.jpeg

Now we can see in the back seats!
Cost £7.99 for a roll of water proof led strip, connected it to the passenger dome light, comes on when the dome light comes on and when the passenger map light is switched on, only took an hour.
The sun shade glows nicely and it looks Oem!
Cheers

Last edited:
How easy was it to loosen the headlining? Pondering doing the same sort of thing, but I'm a bit hesitant to start swinging on the liner and breaking clips and stuff... again 🤦‍♂️

@macd2401, No clips just very strong Velcro, just grip and pull down, but don’t pull it to far, you risk creasing the headliner, to be honest you don’t need it that far down. I just stuck it to the frame edge below the blind so it doesn’t interfere with the blind.
Going to use the leftover in the boot, when I get time!

We got a bit fed up with struggling getting my 2 girls in their infernal car seats with the most fiddly seat belt buckles going in the dark, SO...............
View attachment 1339
View attachment 1340View attachment 1341View attachment 1342
Cost £7.99 for a roll of water proof led strip, connected it to the passenger dome light, comes on when the dome light comes on and when the passenger map light is switched on, only took an hour.
Cheers
What a brilliant idea Severnless!
I could live with that, just pimping your car. Seen much the same down in Southend on Sea on the seafront with all the guys just cruising their cars, back in the day! You could do the footwells as well the boot next with coloured lights. Flashing or chasing lights around the roof and the kids would love it.💡

How about this for the headlining? Oh, got to stop or our ZS will look like a Coca cola advert, still breaks up the lockdown :cool:

1612488588099.png

@Richie, all I wanted was to have some light in the back! Have you ever had to strap in a 2 year old in to their seat whilst having a tantrum!?
I really don’t care what it looks like as long as I can see in the back of the car to find the tiny belt buckles!
It’s such a simple thing to put in. its was a no brainer.
Shame Mg didn’t provide a light in the back.

@Richie, all I wanted was to have some light in the back! Have you ever had to strap in a 2 year old in to their seat whilst having a tantrum!?
I really don’t care what it looks like as long as I can see in the back of the car to find the tiny belt buckles!
It’s such a simple thing to put in. its was a no brainer.
Shame Mg didn’t provide a light in the back.
"Have you ever had to strap in a 2 year old in to their seat whilst having a tantrum!?"
Yes ,four times, might try for five during lock down :)

View attachment 1339
View attachment 1340View attachment 1341View attachment 1342
Cheers
Severnless, would you mind putting a picture of how you wired it in to the dome light please (or even a description)? It looks great but I'm a bit unsure about how complex it is to wire it up properly...

@SparkyEV
The dome light is very easy to splice into. Just fully open the sunroof, to stick your head out! Pull the roof lining down behind the dome light and you should see the wires going to the lights themselves.
To remove the lights to work on them, use an old club card ( credit card) to open the casing, the clip is towards the windscreen
Just push the card in to the seam in the middle that should release the clip then the light module should hinge down then you will see a plug that needs to be disconnected (use a small screwdriver on the clip)
Remove the module, you will clearly make out which wires to splice into but make sure you identify which goes to the passenger light and which is poss and neg (they are both black wires) as led lights are pole sensitive.
Also test it before you reassemble!
Then just stick the tape below the blind track.
It has really made life a lot easier when getting the kids strapped in!

@SparkyEV
The dome light is very easy to splice into. Just fully open the sunroof, to stick your head out! Pull the roof lining down behind the dome light and you should see the wires going to the lights themselves.
To remove the lights to work on them, use an old club card ( credit card) to open the casing, the clip is towards the windscreen
Just push the card in to the seam in the middle that should release the clip then the light module should hinge down then you will see a plug that needs to be disconnected (use a small screwdriver on the clip)
Remove the module, you will clearly make out which wires to splice into but make sure you identify which goes to the passenger light and which is poss and neg (they are both black wires) as led lights are pole sensitive.
Also test it before you reassemble!
Then just stick the tape below the blind track.
It has really made life a lot easier when getting the kids strapped in!
Thanks - I'll give it a go! Do you remember the lights that you got? They look great!

This one is the one I fitted, but would recommend paying a bit more and getting a brighter tape (higher lumen)
My personal preference on colour is daylight so more of a whiter colour rather than warm white which to me always looks yellow
Hope that’s ok for you
@Iain, oh how I wish that were true! 😊

This one is the one I fitted, but would recommend paying a bit more and getting a brighter tape (higher lumen)
My personal preference on colour is daylight so more of a whiter colour rather than warm white which to me always looks yellow
Hope that’s ok for you
Thanks very much

Hope that’s ok for you
Brighter would be smd 5050 type, as they are more powerful than 3xxx type

Do you think there'd be any problem with the heat given off the 5050 types? They'll be pretty close to the roof lining...
Waterproof led strip is in silicone coating and I would say temperature, if on for some time is not higher than 60°C.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom