• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rear screen heater on the 5LR and other MG Models

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all you that own a LR MG5 can you please take a look at these pictures of the rear screen on my car which is a SR and tell us does the screen on the LR have the same GAPS in the next to the bottom line in the rear screen heater element 2913920D-ECE8-4FE7-AE4B-17416F39E779.jpegB41630CC-6B9C-4203-8BE5-CF592B10FE03.jpegB80160A9-BE75-4AEA-BF48-ACEBA2666F52.jpeg
There as been many comments made about this on the SR and it as I have brought it to the attention of MG motors as being a in my opinion a Visibility hazard and a possibility of damage to the rear wiper blade, arm, or motor now that we are having to deal with frost and ice I was just wondering is the LR the same in being the screen very slow to clear or as been improved
Some dealers apparently have no answer and some say it the radio antenna it’s auite poor on the original 5 SR anyhow
Thank you
Les

Last edited:
Hi all you that own a LR MG5 can you please take a look at these pictures of the rear screen on my car which is a SR and tell us does the screen on the LR have the same GAPS in the next to the bottom line in the rear screen heater element View attachment 6517View attachment 6518View attachment 6519
There as been many comments made about this on the SR and it as I have brought it to the attention of MG motors as being a in my opinion a Visibility hazard and a possibility of damage to the rear wiper blade, arm, or motor now that we are having to deal with frost and ice I was just wondering is the LR the same in being the screen very slow to clear or as been improved
Some dealers apparently have no answer and some say it the radio antenna it’s auite poor on the original 5 SR anyhow
Thank you
Les
Same on the driver’s side for the LR

7460B969-6292-40D2-992F-780A69D99052.jpeg

The bottom couple of 'elements' on the screen is indeed the radio antenna, not the heater if that helps you any.

Thanks biffo and 5teep, I have heard and seen post about it being the radio antenna, and if that’s correct it seems a very poor design point both from a visibility point, and the very possible damage to the rear wiper assembly,
but thanks to you biffo we now know it’s not just the early 5 like mine.

Whats also very annoying is the dealers especially when they told my neighbour it must of damage done loading something in the boot.

Im sure in fact I know there are other cars about that has the radio antenna in the rear screen but the heater still clears the whole screen

My 1995 jaguar had a separate radio mast but at the very top of the rear screen, the element was used as a security antenna. It was not in rear vision area and was no detriment to safety. Surely by 2022 we could expect a massive company like Siac to allow for this in there design.

Attachments

• 1642927951464.jpeg
    1642927951464.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi all you that own a LR MG5 can you please take a look at these pictures of the rear screen on my car which is a SR and tell us does the screen on the LR have the same GAPS in the next to the bottom line in the rear screen heater element
Hi Les - As you know I own a ZS.
But after looking at your photo’s in close up, the gaps in the elements don’t look like actual breaks in the film to me ?.
They just look to calculated in there location on both cars and where the lines start and finish, is very smooth, if that makes sense.
They look identical on the photo’s kindly provided by @biffo .
Either they have been designed to be that way to accommodate some function for the arial ?.
Or the element lines have been produced incomplete at the factory ?.
But to be honest, I can’t see that really.
The car is a Rowe 5 derivative, so would they install a HRW for there domestic market ?.
Would it be that important to have every element operational in Thailand ?.
I say this because the specs vary a lot in different countries.
Example :- The ZS EV does not have a cabin heater in Thailand !.

Hi Les - As you know I own a ZS.
But after looking at your photo’s in close up, the gaps in the elements don’t look like actual breaks in the film to me ?.
They just look to calculated in there location on both cars and where the lines start and finish, is very smooth, if that makes sense.
They look identical on the photo’s kindly provided by @biffo .
Either they have been designed to be that way to accommodate some function for the arial ?.
Or the element lines have been produced incomplete at the factory ?.
But to be honest, I can’t see that really.
The car is a Rowe 5 derivative, so would they install a HRW for there domestic market ?.
Would it be that important to have every element operational in Thailand ?.
I say this because the specs vary a lot in different countries.
Example :- The ZS EV does not have a cabin heater in Thailand !.
Hi Geoff I can see and understand what you are saying.
on Thailand example you I think maybe quite right thinking it’s hot there most of the time so maybe as a bigger or more powerful aircon unit fitted so less space for the unnecessary heater but there but some parts of China do get very cold indeed with ice and snow as well.
Yeh these gaps in the electric elements have I would say have been put there for some reason as in every car I have looked at they are in exactly the same place.
So I agree with the statement its for the radio antenna maybe and it’s very probable nothing can be done about it in the currant range of vehicles but SAIC need to be made aware that it can cause problems in Europe
My reason for writing to the MG head office is to clear up if it is the radio antenna and if something may be able to be done about it either now or in future production, has as things are owners are complaining and dealers once again don’t appreciate that there’s an issue.
Just one other point I know you have the ZS which I would think has a bigger or deeper rear window so maybe not has much of a problem you see the rear screen in the 5 is quite small in comparison I think which doesn’t help.
Hope your keeping well.
Les.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff I can see and understand what you are saying.
on Thailand example you I think maybe quite right thinking it’s hot there most of the time so maybe as a bigger or more powerful aircon unit fitted so less space for the unnecessary heater but there but some parts of China do get very cold indeed with ice and snow as well.
Yeh these gaps in the electric elements have I would say have been put there for some reason as in every car I have looked at they are in exactly the same place.
So I agree with the statement its for the radio antenna maybe and it’s very probable nothing can be done about it in the currant range of vehicles but SAIC need to be made aware that it can cause problems in Europe
My reason for writing to the MG head office is to clear up if it is the radio antenna and if something may be able to be done about it either now or in future production, has as things are owners are complaining and dealers once again don’t appreciate that there’s an issue.
Hope your keeping well.
Les.
Thanks Les 👍.

e able to be done about it either now or in future production, has as things are owners are complaining and dealers once again don’t appreciate that there’s an issue.
Unfortunately I doubt MG would decide to poll all users to find whether they consider it an issue, but I don't.

I don't get how it's a visibility hazard given that the majority of the centre of the window clears. If it doesn't clear satisfactorily then you have the option to finish it manually - in fact you should. Surely that's what you'd do with the front screen or side windows if they weren't clear?

If you believe the wiper blade may be at risk then take some action so it isn't - free it before setting off or don't use it spring to mind.

It has been related here that it is the radio aerial. I trust that info. I don't see any relevance or importance that dealers may not know that.

Spray some demister spray on the bottom of the window inside and some de-icer on the wiper blade outside, problem solved. ;)

On a frosty morning I start my car, turn the AC on, heating up full and fan on full. Take the keys out if my pocket,place them in the cup holder and pop back indoors for five minutes to finish my coffee. When I get back the car is toasty warm, front and rear windscreen wipers have defrosted and both screens Perfectly clear. No misting on rear window or any of the windows. I think being in the cold car whilst it is heating up may create some of the condensation which you are experiencing on the unheated lower part of the rear window.

On a frosty morning I start my car, turn the AC on, heating up full and fan on full. Take the keys out if my pocket,place them in the cup holder and pop back indoors for five minutes to finish my coffee. When I get back the car is toasty warm, front and rear windscreen wipers have defrosted and both screens Perfectly clear. No misting on rear window or any of the windows. I think being in the cold car whilst it is heating up may create some of the condensation which you are experiencing on the unheated lower part of the rear window.
Out of curiosity, why do you leave the keys in the car rather than take them with you? I take mine with me (despite being behind a locked gate) so that the car can’t be put into Drive.

Out of curiosity, why do you leave the keys in the car rather than take them with you? I take mine with me (despite being behind a locked gate) so that the car can’t be put into D
Out of curiosity, why do you leave the keys in the car rather than take them with you? I take mine with me (despite being behind a locked gate) so that the car can’t be put into Drive.
So that they are warm when I put them back in pocket of course! No seriously, I thought I had to.

i don’t think you need to - but after hearing stories (on this forum?) of someone driving off after their partner got out car with keys - and then being stranded as unable to start car after turning off - it’s a fair enough idea.

@Les burrows I thought it was confirmed as the aerial before by MG through a user on here and may have even been confirmed by Miles in a past podcast.

Last edited:
@Les burrows I thought it was confirmed as the heating element before by MG through a user on here and may have even been confirmed by Miles in a past podcast.
Not sure Ozzie that’s why I have wrote to MG, there has been lots on the forum and some have approached there dealers but as far as I know we have not really had a straight answer, my neighbour was told only a week or so back by a dealer that he must have damage it while loading something in the boot which is rubbish, so I have asked for a straight answer from MG head office, I’m not convinced we will get one but when the next update comes along they just might put one of them little short radio aerials on the roof or maybe a shark fin type so the heater can do it’s job and clear and help keep clear the rear window it’s one of them feedbacks that might make changes for the better and I have no intentions of ever buying any de-icer as suggested by someone, as one of the objects of buy an EV was to to help the Ozone layer and save the planet
Les

Last edited:
I shouldn't hold your breath getting a replay from mg I've messaged them on several occasions about various things never had a reply.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom