• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rear seatbelt warning alert

MikeN

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can this be switched off on the ZS Trophy? If I fold down the rear seats and load up , it thinks someone is sitting in the seats, and alarms.
If I clip the seatbelts in first, then fold the seats down and load up, it creates serious indentations in the upholstery.

I thought there were only sensors on the front seats.
There aren't rear seat sensors on the MG5 as you can remove the seat base .

The alarm turns off after about 20 seconds. Happens to us when the dog moves about on the back seat. Haven't found a way of turning it off permanently.

I did not think there were sensors in the rear set on our ZS EV, but yesterday one of the kids jumped in the car, and the seatbelt not fastened telltale for that seat lit up, he remembered he forgot something, so got out to retrieve it, and the alarm stopped, and when he came back it started up again, until the seatbelt was fastened.

So yeah, it seems like there are sensors in the seat, which will also be a problem if you load something onto the back seats.

In our previous car, there were sensors in the locking mechanism, but the way it worked, was until the car moved, it would sense if seatbelts were being fastened.

It would show which ones were being fastened and then, if someone took the seatbelt off while driving it would bong, and show in the instrument cluster which seatbelt had been undone.

Just a tip i found on my mg5 for front seats.
If i buy a10 pack of carling and place it on the passenger seat, all is dandy.

But if i buy an 18 pack and place it on the passenger seat it thinks there's someone not wearing the seat belt.
Luckily the shop wasn't too far to my house as the bongs don't stop.
Tldr: 10 pack on seat, 18 pack on the floor
🍻

I did not think there were sensors in the rear set on our ZS EV, but yesterday one of the kids jumped in the car, and the seatbelt not fastened telltale for that seat lit up, he remembered he forgot something, so got out to retrieve it, and the alarm stopped, and when he came back it started up again, until the seatbelt was fastened.

So yeah, it seems like there are sensors in the seat, which will also be a problem if you load something onto the back seats.

In our previous car, there were sensors in the locking mechanism, but the way it worked, was until the car moved, it would sense if seatbelts were being fastened.

It would show which ones were being fastened and then, if someone took the seatbelt off while driving it would bong, and show in the instrument cluster which seatbelt had been undone.
I was just considering this when I get mine and fit the isofix seat.
I'm assuming there's something to say if the isofix fixings are used instead of the belt then the alarm will not sound. Either that or there must be a way of turning it off?

...or I just ensure the baby weighs less than an 18 pack of Carling until he can use the belt :ROFLMAO:

I'm assuming there's something to say if the isofix fixings are used instead of the belt then the alarm will not sound. Either that or there must be a way of turning it off?

...or I just ensure the baby weighs less than an 18 pack of Carling until he can use the belt :ROFLMAO:
Or maybe the sensor will not trigger with such a seat.

I had a sensor in the front passenger side, in our previous car, and when the kids were older, but not tall enough to sit without a seat, they had a booster seat and if i placed this in the front seat, the sensor would not detect it. Probably because of where its contactpoints were, compared to where they are when a person sits there.

I think the rear seat belt warnings are possibly triggered by the opening of the rear doors.

I think the rear seat belt warnings are possibly triggered by the opening of the rear doors.
I just tested this once and for all.

Sat in the front seat, pressed start and waited until the car was "ready"

Got out, opened a rear door, no seatbelt reminder for the rear seats came on.

Got into one seat, the reminder lit up, moved over to the middle seat, the middle reminder lit up, moved to the last position, and that reminder lit up.

While sitting in one side, i put my fist on the seat in the middle and pushed down and the reminder for the middle seat came on, so atleast in my ZS EV, there are sensors on all 3 positions on the back seat...As well as on the 2 front ones as well.

I just tested this once and for all.

Sat in the front seat, pressed start and waited until the car was "ready"

Got out, opened a rear door, no seatbelt reminder for the rear seats came on.

Got into one seat, the reminder lit up, moved over to the middle seat, the middle reminder lit up, moved to the last position, and that reminder lit up.

While sitting in one side, i put my fist on the seat in the middle and pushed down and the reminder for the middle seat came on, so atleast in my ZS EV, there are sensors on all 3 positions on the back seat...As well as on the 2 front ones as well.
Is yours a Gen 1 or gen 2 ?

I think I was confusing the ZS with the Prius I had, that only showed rear belt warnings if I opened the rear doors, bums on seats or not.
On my Gen 1, the rear seat belt warning lights come on as soon as I put the car in ready mode if the belts are not plugged in, I have to press "OK" to clear the warning graphic. If I open my door, the graphic reappears showing the door open and seat belts not fastened, this disappears when I close my door. So I can't simulate what you did because the warning is showing before I open a rear door, the only way to remove individual belt warnings is to fasten each of the seat belts. This why I think there are no sensors in the rear seats on the Gen 1.
I don't see any seat belt warnings normally as I have an extender plugged into my one and in the rear, I have MG bear strapped into the middle seat and two dog restraints plugged into the outers, the front passenger one only comes on if someone is sitting in the seat.
I must remember to remove these when the MOT comes up July 2023.

I have a child seat permanently in the back of my ZS and don't get any alarms

I have a similar thing on my new ZS (...new to me that is. It’s an Exclusive, 69 plate, so 2 years old, and I believe it has had a “comfort pack” upgrade which may have a bearing on things).

If there’s only me in the car, the seatbelt light comes on when you start, and stays on for about a minute after fastening my belt, driving along. At the same time, a little graphic showing the car seats shows on the central screen, with all the rear seats and driver’s seat shown in red. It is only the driver’s seat redness that goes away when I put my seatbelt on. It’s as if it thinks there are 4 people in the car - me, and 3 in the back. I can make it go away by pressing OK, but why is it there at all? The only way to make this stop happening in the first place is to keep the rear seatbelts fastened all the time, but that’s not ideal for how we live. Also today it bonged constantly when I drove off, even though no one had ever been in the back, I’d just unplugged the belts before setting off to see if that would be OK.

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this properly?

IMG_2439.jpg

May be the sensors in the back need replacing or resetting or a lose wire or unplugged?

Would that be the kind of thing our local MG dealer would do under warranty? Or should I email the MG dealer who we bought it from? It’s a bit annoying if it is an existing fault, as I only bought it last weekend!

Would that be the kind of thing our local MG dealer would do under warranty? Or should I email the MG dealer who we bought it from? It’s a bit annoying if it is an existing fault, as I only bought it last weekend!
As you have not had car that long I would speak to the dealer you got the car from give them a chance to put it right

Didn’t think the 1968 Minor had rear seat belts😂. Seriously, the alarm activates while driving. Will stop after a few minutes then five minutes later starts again. A pain in the backside on a long journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom