Rear shock spring failure LR Trophy

TonyP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Heard squeaking noise from rear nearside suspension. On investigation discovered top couple of inches of shock spring had broken off and spring was no longer centrally located on post. Booked in at MG garage in Shrewsbury for next Tuesday. Is this going to be a future problem for all Long Range variants due to extra weight of batteries?

NMC batteries have a higher energy density by weight, so the 70kWh NMC battery is hardly any heavier than the 50kWh LFP.

The springs are rated for the weight of the vehicle so have the same life expectancy as any other car.
A failure at this age through normal fatigue is certainly uncommon but it could occur if you had for example encountered something traumatic like a deep pothole.

The suspension on my SR started squeaking last week.

I've been trying to ignore it by turning the music up, but I'll probably need to have a look...

Just had this happen on my other car but then again it is 13 years old!
broken spring.jpg

The MG garage is now having trouble getting hold of a spring. Apparently there have been more spring failures recently and thus parts are scarce....even a recall was mentioned. I wonder if more broken springs are now being seen as vehicles are having their first service and the fault is being identified.

I was told recently by my MOT garage, that he now rejects about 25% of car he sees due to broken suspension. Its a sign of the times with all the potholes. Both front coil springs on my 4X4 fiat panda had to be replaced.

Heard squeaking noise from rear nearside suspension. On investigation discovered top couple of inches of shock spring had broken off and spring was no longer centrally located on post. Booked in at MG garage in Shrewsbury for next Tuesday. Is this going to be a future problem for all Long Range variants due to extra weight of batteries?
Is this covered in the warranty or do we have to pay for it?

I was told recently by my MOT garage, that he now rejects about 25% of car he sees due to broken suspension. Its a sign of the times with all the potholes. Both front coil springs on my 4X4 fiat panda had to be replaced.
A very good friend of mine has recently retired as an MOT inspector for almost 45 years, we served our time together.
He said the failure rate on broken coil springs has increased massively over the last ten years !.
Not sure if it’s poor quality materials or they making the springs lighter to reduce weight.
Prior to this starting, he very rarely seen a broken spring !.
It affects all makes.

This has happened to me today too. The car went in for service after 1 year and has a broken coil spring on the driver side rear. I’ve been so careful driving it and there’s no way that this is pothole damage. It had software updates in March and was fine then when inspected. They agreed straight away to fix it under warranty but have no parts in the UK. I’m due to get a hire car but MG have said that could be for the foreseeable which is a little worrying

This has happened to me today too. The car went in for service after 1 year and has a broken coil spring on the driver side rear. I’ve been so careful driving it and there’s no way that this is pothole damage. It had software updates in March and was fine then when inspected. They agreed straight away to fix it under warranty but have no parts in the UK. I’m due to get a hire car but MG have said that could be for the foreseeable which is a little worrying
I know this has been said many time before folks, but can anybody understand how MG with it's huge increased sales of around 40% last year, and a similar target this year, can still hope to support the dealers in the UK with such a poor supply chain of spare parts in the UK ????.
It absolutely beggar's belief why the main spare parts department in the UK has not been increased in size, in order to keep pace with the sales of their cars ???.
I mean, come on MG it's simply not cost effective for one !.
Paying out hundreds and hundreds of pounds on customer car hire, for weeks and weeks on end ( even at a discounted rate ) while awaiting a couple of road springs, valued at about £50 each makes absolutely NO sense at all to me ?.
It frustrates the hell out of both the owners and the dealers.
Owners given ICE hire cars to use ( at their on expense on fossil fuel ) while waiting for basic spares is really not ideal at all TBH.
The whole problem is caused by the distance these parts have to travel, but could be improved on greatly.
The time from ordering the parts, to dispatch from China and then arrival is both slow / painful and in 2023 really unacceptable for all parties concerned.
Parts that are classed as urgent for safety reasons, or cars that have been classified as VOTR ( Vehicle Off The Road ).
There should be a weekly / fortnightly air freight service into the U.K.

Totally agree with above post. I am still waiting for my spring and now have a courtesy car. If this doesn't get sorted quickly it will be the last time I buy a MG.

In MG’s defence, they were not expecting to have a big demand for a coil road spring on a car so new !.
Road springs are the new door handle / steering column supply problem !.
They really do need to update / improve the procurement department if they intend to keep their customer base.
A spares warehouse anywhere in Europe would be SOME improvement !.

I'm hearing a strange banging from mine

i think i need to get my car lifted up and check the springs out

Totally agree with above post. I am still waiting for my spring and now have a courtesy car. If this doesn't get sorted quickly it will be the last time I buy a MG.
I hope yours gets fixed soon Tony and will keep an eye on this thread. Just out of interest, how long did the hire car take to arrange? I had a call this morning from Europcar to say they have no stock till Monday lunchtime. Not massively happy as I need a car for work by Monday morning latest!

In our case, the AA offered to organise a hire car straight away to be fair !.
He said “We should have a car out to you buy today, if you are struggling” - This was a Saturday morning about 11.00am.
We delivered the car to the local MG dealer ( about 8 miles ) and he brought me back home.
Lucky enough we had a car that we could use from another family member.
As it was the weekend, which held up organising the loan car by the dealer.
I called the dealer on Monday morning and they had already diagnosed the problem and ordered the parts ( no U.K. stock ).
They had to E.mail contact MG after sales customer service, who need to authorise the dealer to then procure a hire car.
The car turned up about 5.30pm on the Tuesday.
I should have taken the AA man’s kind offer of the hire car for three days to bridge he gap !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom