Rear shock spring failure LR Trophy

I got my ZS from Barnes as well, very peeved to have to now go to Ashford or Maidstone for warranty work.

Have you tried Caffyns Ashford?

If FG Barnes Canterbury have the spring, why can’t they send it to Maidstone to be fitted under warranty !!?
Maidstone thinks that it is a pattern part and not genuine MG. This would invalidate warranty. CAFFYNS closer for me but thought it would be easier to stick with original garage. Totally pee’d off being unable to use car for nearly six weeks.

Maidstone thinks that it is a pattern part and not genuine MG. This would invalidate warranty. CAFFYNS closer for me but thought it would be easier to stick with original garage. Totally pee’d off being unable to use car for nearly six weeks.

I would feel the same in your position, it’s made servicing an almost all day job, I’m thinking my ZS will be traded for an eNiro before three years are up!

Have been told that spring has arrived at dealership, but they are waiting for a second as to they are now going to replace both, which makes sense, but also suggests recall may be imminent!

I know, but initially they were only prepared to replace the one.
As your car has covered very few miles, they may have considered replacing only the defective spring.
However, they may have identified that the second spring on the opposite side, forms part of the same batch of coil springs with the same type of metal fatigue problem ?.
Replacing both is the best corrective form of action, but consumes the stock levels more quickly.
We know by reports from other forum members, that your car is not an isolated incident.
The wait time on the single part has been pretty short, hopefully the second spring arrives soon.
It will be interesting to hear if a recall will be forth coming though.
Should that be the case, this suggests they where already prepared of the issue.

ZS EV LR Trophy returned today with two new coil springs. MG Shrewsbury even dropped it off at my partner's place of work and collected courtesy car. Very pleased to have the car back after being without it for two weeks.
Good news Tony. Mine also arrived home today but my dealer only replaced the one rear spring. I’ll have to keep a close eye on it from now on

Another broken spring to add to the list here. March 22 Trophy long range, 13K Miles. Goes in tomorrow for them to take pictures of it to send to MG for warranty auth. Had a call from parts department earlier saying no parts available, back order from MG & probably be around a month & that they are still awaiting parts for other vehicles from early May!

Another broken spring to add to the list here. March 22 Trophy long range, 13K Miles. Goes in tomorrow for them to take pictures of it to send to MG for warranty auth. Had a call from parts department earlier saying no parts available, back order from MG & probably be around a month & that they are still awaiting parts for other vehicles from early May!
How did you discover the problem, was the car at the dealers for something else ?.
Wait times on replacement parts is woeful at best !.

I was investigating a random creak from the rear when going over speed bumps etc. Quick visual underneath, problem found!
To be honest I don't know when it went, could have been a couple of K ago. Not good, the spring looks pretty rusty across the break.
IMG_3781.jpeg

Just picked up my hire car provided by MG whilst waiting for new NSR spring. ETA 11th July. They are only allowed to replace the broken spring🤬

I was investigating a random creak from the rear when going over speed bumps etc. Quick visual underneath, problem found!
To be honest I don't know when it went, could have been a couple of K ago. Not good, the spring looks pretty rusty across the break.
View attachment 18728
I agree, the rust could indicate that it has broken a while back.
Looking at your picture, where the spring has broken, suggests its not going any where real soon !.
The break has lodged itself well and truly into spring holding cup, on the axle.
The noise you are hearing must be the metal to metal contact of the broken part of the spring, rubbing on the axle cup.
The break looks well clear of any other critical items, like the shock absorber / brake line / road wheel / tyre etc.
We have a March 22 registered car with similar mileage covered.
I our village, we have a number of them hard rubber speed humps installed.
You know the type, the ones that the delivery drivers and shuttle buses pay no attention too what so ever !.

Yeah seems to have broken 'safely' if there is such a thing, as long as it doesn't damage the rubber seat. I'm not holding much hope for the other side though seeing as they don't replace them as a pair, it's only going to be a matter of time. Exdro mentions his is the NSR, mine is OSR :(

Motor manufactures rarely have a individual / single suppler for their components ( eggs in one basket type of thing ) .
If this IS the case, they could possibly trace by batch number, which supplier has the defective springs.
The problem here is of course, is that the batches could get mixed on the production line, then you could have two different springs from two different suppliers on the very same car !.
My guess would be that actual cost of the replacement road spring will very inexpensive, at around £30 ( ish ).
The labour time involved to carry out the replacement ......... 1 hour ( ish ) .
Wait time on the parts, then loan cars costs ( together with the inconvenience to the customer ) is a completely different story.

The roads are broken. I don’t remember so many rough roads in all my life. I travel mainly in Hants but they are beyond disgraceful. As for spares, you would think they would be shipping plenty over. With their sales figures now so high and not a massive variety of cars it ought to be easy!?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom