Rear shock spring failure LR Trophy

The roads are broken. I don’t remember so many rough roads in all my life. I travel mainly in Hants but they are beyond disgraceful. As for spares, you would think they would be shipping plenty over. With their sales figures now so high and not a massive variety of cars it ought to be easy!?
I totally agree that the roads are in a truly terrible state right now.
And yet strangely, the cost of the VED ( road tax ) costs is having the bands readjusted constantly, to exploit even more money
But this very premature failure of these road springs, clearly indicates to me at least, that there is quality issue in the process of producing these coil road springs.
Good old “Metal Fatigue” is likely to carry the can on this issue.
Supply of replacement spare parts to the MG dealerships, has come under a lot of criticism on other threads in this forum.
MG car production has increased by 40% after the first year of launching the Gen 1 MG ZS EV in 2019.
The procurement of spare parts has definitely not kept any type of real pace with regards to the actual car production build rate.

“They” will no doubt put all the blame for the state of the roads on the “ultra heavy” BEVs. Giving an excuse to put higher tax on them because of their weight. Meantime, I now have a hire car, courtesy of MG, until such time as mine is fixed. Only one spring being replaced so will keep an eye on other side.
I fear that vehicle recall may be imminent.

Yet another ZSTC EV to add to the broken spring list. (Rear passenger side). It happened tonight, very close to home. My wife nursed it back home, and took our other car. I'm now waiting for MG Assist/AA to turn up.
In anyone is interested, car is a 72 plate, not yet a year old, with 9k on the clock...
Will keep everyone updated as this little drama plays out.

Same happened to me. 7k miles 6 months old. Replaced under warranty. No quibble and hit car provided while waiting for springs to come into country. Only one spring replaced as it was deemed that the other was new enough not to warrant replacement. How long before recall of all models. Obviously a bad batch of springs on 72 plate models.

Same happened to me. 7k miles 6 months old. Replaced under warranty. No quibble and hit car provided while waiting for springs to come into country. Only one spring replaced as it was deemed that the other was new enough not to warrant replacement. How long before recall of all models. Obviously a bad batch of springs on 72 plate models.
How long did it take to repair?
I'm currently awaiting the AA flatbed to collect the car and take it to the dealers...

How long did it take to repair?
I'm currently awaiting the AA flatbed to collect the car and take it to the dealers...
A couple of hours for the repair. Nearly four weeks for delivery if the parts🥴 hence the free hire car for that time.

Mine was replaced yesterday. Hour ish job. From Diagnoses to part arrival & fit was about 6 weeks. No hire car was offered during the period, just had to keep driving it. Other than the occasional creak & groan (other than the ones coming from me) I never really felt much difference in handling etc. Still handles like a boat.

Mine was replaced yesterday. Hour ish job. From Diagnoses to part arrival & fit was about 6 weeks. No hire car was offered during the period, just had to keep driving it. Other than the occasional creak & groan (other than the ones coming from me) I never really felt much difference in handling etc. Still handles like a boat.
Surely, a broken spring is an MOT failure, which makes the car unfit/unsafe to drive?

Surely, a broken spring is an MOT failure, which makes the car unfit/unsafe to drive?
Yep 👍.
Same as using the car with a defective steering UJ or a broken interior door latch.
All items are a MOT failure point and should be rectified as a mater of some urgency.
The problem here is the poor procurement time on spare parts, which has been covered extensively in this forum.

Yep 👍.
Same as using the car with a defective steering UJ or a broken interior door latch.
All items are a MOT failure point and should be rectified as a mater of some urgency.
The problem here is the poor procurement time on spare parts, which has been covered extensively in this forum.
That’s why I insisted on a hire car until oarts were in stock. When I mentioned that asking me to drive with a broken spring was almost attempted murder : either a hire car or reject the car under sale of goods act, their choice. Guess which option!

Yet another ZSTC EV to add to the broken spring list. (Rear passenger side). It happened tonight, very close to home. My wife nursed it back home, and took our other car. I'm now waiting for MG Assist/AA to turn up.
In anyone is interested, car is a 72 plate, not yet a year old, with 9k on the clock...
Will keep everyone updated as this little drama plays out.
Well, much to my surprise and delight, I got a call from Perry's MG this morning, saying they've fix the spring, and to come collect the car....
So, under a week between the spring breaking, and Being back on the road😀

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom