Rear window, no wiper

CMJ22

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Probably a daft question but with there being no rear window wiper is there anything that could be applied to the glass to help with visibility like a spray or wax?

I always see on online ads you can get stickers for side mirrors that help, but not sure I want a sticker on the rear window.

Just a thought?

How much does it help? Do you still miss not having a wiper?
I do miss not having a wiper, I would prefer one….but i do not have any issues when it is raining, and the grime seems to run off easily.

I guess, the fact that I will continue to buy and apply it means something, but it is not a panacea.

I do miss not having a wiper, I would prefer one….but i do not have any issues when it is raining, and the grime seems to run off easily.

I guess, the fact that I will continue to buy and apply it means something, but it is not a panacea.
How long does RainX last for you? I've used GTechniq G1 on previous car windscreens and it's lasted about a year before it needs re-applying.

Last edited:
How long does RainX last for you? I've used GTechniq C1 on previous car windscreens and it's lasted about a year before it needs re-applying.
About four weeks on the rear….two weeks on the front windscreen, but guess that is getting wiped frequently and we have had a lot of heavy rain recently.

I used the anti fog stuff on the inside front windscreen, so far (after nearly five weeks / 1500 miles….no need to re-apply just yet.

About four weeks on the rear….two weeks on the front windscreen, but guess that is getting wiped frequently and we have had a lot of heavy rain recently.

I used the anti fog stuff on the inside front windscreen, so far (after nearly five weeks / 1500 miles….no need to re-apply just yet.
I must say, currently not using the Neat RainX stuff, just the two use cleaner/RainX protection, so the solution is not 100%, but it is very good!

I will get some neat RainX for the rear at some point, so that may be better than four weeks.

.... the good news is that its doesn't attract dirt (so the spolier must be doing something) - the slight downside is that during rainy starts in the morning -if you have to reverse then its a bit of a pain doing it without clear vision (i have to, as the home charger & car charging port are at opposite sides)

Last edited:
Probably a daft question but with there being no rear window wiper is there anything that could be applied to the glass to help with visibility like a spray or wax?

I always see on online ads you can get stickers for side mirrors that help, but not sure I want a sticker on the rear window.

Just a thought?
My Ioniq hybrid does not have a rear wiper and it is not a problem. I haven't got my MG4 yet but I'm hoping that will be the same.

.... the good news is that its doesn't attract dirt (so the spolier must be doing something) - the slight downside is that during rainy starts in the morning -if you have to reverse then its a bit of a pain doing it without clear vision (i have to, as the home charger & car charging port are at opposite sides)
Could a longer cable help perhaps?

I got a bathroom shower wiper as you use for wiping the shower glass with, Home bargains I think it was about £3 and have use that a few times just to wipe the glass all around the car to get the dew of in the morning definitely helps takes less than 2 minutes
Les

Just a thought?
CMJ22 it’s never a daft question, that’s why this forum exists to help EV owners and drivers so ask away anytime.
Les

I got a bathroom shower wiper as you use for wiping the shower glass with, Home bargains I think it was about £3 and have use that a few times just to wipe the glass all around the car to get the dew of in the morning definitely helps takes less than 2 minutes
Les
Great idea and a small investment.

Les
I have something similar which is also an ice scraper
1667026694686.png

I also own a 38kw Ioniq which is my 2nd one, neither had/s a rear wiper we didn't like it at first and used different products to start off with but we now do the same as Les mentioned we give the car a once over with a squeegee if required. The worst time though is when its snowing, but then again snow will build and need physical cleaning anyway. My MG5 and Ioniq both have reverse cameras so we get along fine. It is not perfect situation but having driven vans I am used to it.

Why does the MG4 not have a rear wiper??

On my previous MG6 (Diesel) there was no rear wiper. When I asked the dealer about this I was told the reason was that with a wiper fitted, testing showed that additional drag was created and this would lower its overall efficiency to the extent that it would no longer be in its (relatively) low taxation class. (Annual road tax for it was, and still is £30.)

I have no idea whether that is actually true, but if it is surely that cannot be the reason for the MG4 EV not having one? Hence my original question.

I'm just curious; I have no thoughts of buying an MG4, I'm entirely happy with my MG5!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back