Rear window, no wiper

Mt main problem is that when I see drops of water on the rear windscreen my hand automatically goes to where the rear wiper switch would have been on my Golf. I then have to tell myself to stoppit, it's fine.

No doubt this will go away with time.

I was worried about reversing into my garage because the SE doesn't have electrically folding wing mirrors and I had damaged wing mirrors in my Golf once or twice because I didn't bother folding them to pass the narrow spot. However it turned out to be a baseless concern, partly because new garage doors in January gave me an extra three inches clearance, but mainly because even the SE has brilliant reversing visibility.

I don't really like reversing cameras, but the rear sensors (are they sonar or something?) are absolutely marvellous, I can judge where I am perfectly. And the wing mirrors provide really excellent visibility. Never even occurred to me to look at the rear windscreen at this point.

My rear sensors go nuts when I'm reversing off my drive (I live in a cul-de-sac) even though there's nothing behind me. I suspect they're picking up the hedge which is a good 3" clear of the rear sides of the car.
If I didn't have the cameras I would be worried about running over someone or something due to me ignoring the false indication the sensors are giving.

The Clio RS we had before our Audi A1 used to have a very small rear wiper like this. We still miss having a rear wiper on the Trophy, though.
I have to say that I think the Trophy is a much better car by far than the Audi A1 - regardless of price - even WITH its infuriating niggles.

Could you put a longer blade on the tiny rear wiper to make it more effective? Looks like there's loads of space before you'd have to worry about it fouling on anything

Could you put a longer blade on the tiny rear wiper to make it more effective? Looks like there's loads of space before you'd have to worry about it fouling on anything
Just had an unscientific measure with a ruler on Robin666's photo and no you can't fit a longer wiper.

That's odd, I've never noticed an effect like that.
At first I though it might be the sun on the lens but it does it when the sun is on the other side of the house too. No problem anywhere else just reversing off my drive.

My rear sensors go nuts when I'm reversing off my drive (I live in a cul-de-sac) even though there's nothing behind me. I suspect they're picking up the hedge which is a good 3" clear of the rear sides of the car.
If I didn't have the cameras I would be worried about running over someone or something due to me ignoring the false indication the sensors are giving.

Actually, having re-read your post, yes, if something is only three inches from the side of the car, the SE's side parking sensors will definitely bleep. At the same time the side segments on the alert screen will display a proximity warning.

This happens when I'm reversing into the garage. Both side warnings go off as the rear of the car goes through the doors, but the central warnings are not activated. Then after I pass through the door the right-hand warning goes off, but the left-hand warning stays on because the garage wall is close. As I approach the boxes at the back of the garage the central warnings become activated and tell me when to stop.

If you're reversing and you know there's something to the side of you, you can ignore the side warnings so long as your mirrors tell you you're not slanting into whatever it is. But at least it's telling you there's something there.

Actually, having re-read your post, yes, if something is only three inches from the side of the car, the SE's side parking sensors will definitely bleep. At the same time the side segments on the alert screen will display a proximity warning.

This happens when I'm reversing into the garage. Both side warnings go off as the rear of the car goes through the doors, but the central warnings are not activated. Then after I pass through the door the right-hand warning goes off, but the left-hand warning stays on because the garage wall is close. As I approach the boxes at the back of the garage the central warnings become activated and tell me when to stop.

If you're reversing and you know there's something to the side of you, you can ignore the side warnings so long as your mirrors tell you you're not slanting into whatever it is. But at least it's telling you there's something there.
That's what's a mystery to me, it's the rear segment that's showing on the display and a red warning when I ignore it. It's as if I've just ran over somebody.

I don't really understand what you're saying, as I have an SE rather than a Trophy. I only get the two central segments lighting up if there's something actually behind the car. It's possible you have a malfunctioning system, but not knowing how the Trophy's system is meant to operate I don't really know.

I don't really understand what you're saying, as I have an SE rather than a Trophy. I only get the two central segments lighting up if there's something actually behind the car. It's possible you have a malfunctioning system, but not knowing how the Trophy's system is meant to operate I don't really know.
It's as if there is something directly behind the car, but there's nothing on the camera and it only happens in this scenario, nowhere else. :unsure:
I think my drive may be haunted. 😟

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel