Removal of XPower Caliper Covers

CooperS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
As discussed elsewhere I have removed my caliper covers, as I don't like the orange. I realise it's a marmite subject but in that colour they are not for me.
I thought I would post my experience of removing them for anyone who may be interested.

I checked to see if they could be removed without taking the wheels off. The rear ones can, but the fronts can't there is not enough room, all are retained by hex5 bolts. Which although tight can be undone easily, just watch you dont slip and damage your alloys! Just position the bolt heads either side of the wheel spokes to gain access, it's trial and error by moving the car if need be.

For the front covers I decided to see if I could remove them with the wheel still in situ. I did this by jacking the car up, there is an arrow in the plastic sill covering, indicating the jacking point, I then located the jack underneath on the welded seam where it is the strongest, you can use a protection pad if you want.
Once high enough, I loosened the bolts but kept the wheel on the hub, this way I managed to create enough room to safely remove the cover. I then retightened the wheel bolts and lowered the car.

The finished look is better but the bare caliper shape is not that good, see photos, but will do for now I have ordered glossy black plasticote to paint the covers and will then refit.

Please note removal is undertaken at your risk, these are just my findings and I take no responsibility for your actions.

Thanks for your interest.

If anyone has already done this, please feel free to add your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 420
Last edited by a moderator:
Will you paint the cover with different color and put it back on?
long time ago when i was a kid, i use to paint my brake clipper red just to make it look better...

Will you paint the cover with different color and put it back on?
long time ago when i was a kid, i use to paint my brake clipper red just to make it look better...

If I could change to a colour, I'd choose, Red,

Red calipers also make the car faster :D

(However I have the Green paint and I think the Orange contrast well)

I did this a while a back and painted the covers black with high temp. paint and lacquer.

Starts at post #21.

I may paint them red in a year if I get bored of the black and maybe even put some white "Brembo" stickers on the red paint 😁👍

Just one thing I'd add - the covers have a rubber circular grommet where the hole is, so be careful not to lose these. They can come off the cover hole easily if painting but should be put back on.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    764.4 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Hi
I did this a while a back and painted the covers black with high temp. paint and lacquer.

Starts at post #21.

I may paint them red in a year if I get bored of the black and maybe even put some white "Brembo" stickers on the red paint 😁👍

Just one thing I'd add - the covers have a rubber circular grommet where the hole is, so be careful not to lose these. They can come off the cover hole easily if painting but should be put back on.

View attachment 22583
Yes I originally saw your post and was aware of the grommet's. I would have permanently painted like you, had it not been a lease car, dont want to risk a penalty charge upon return. You can now get the covers separately for around £250 for the set, I therefore decided against buying and painting those.

Wait a min..
i know the Xpower brake clipper is nothing special...and the use of COVER to make it look better is kind of for show only...

Anyway, I suddenly remember the COVER beside being orange, it also have that X Power logo painted on it... If we were to Paint over the Cover... the logo will be hidden.. May be... paint it over with clear coat instead so that the logo can be kept?

actually, i am not even sure if Hi temp COLOR CLEAR coat paint exist...

Wait a min..
i know the Xpower brake clipper is nothing special...and the use of COVER to make it look better is kind of for show only...

Anyway, I suddenly remember the COVER beside being orange, it also have that X Power logo painted on it... If we were to Paint over the Cover... the logo will be hidden.. May be... paint it over with clear coat instead so that the logo can be kept?

actually, i am not even sure if Hi temp COLOR CLEAR coat paint exist...
Surely if its just a plastic for show cover it would not require Hi temp paint ?

I personally don't mind them as they are. Mine is a lease/salary sacrifice, so I wouldn't want to mess around with it but as I have the black version I like the subtle hint that it gives off about the power.
Mines a lease as well and thats why Im using Plasticote so that I can peel off at end of it. As I said its a marmite situation, but Im glad I have removed. Hopefully will get them painted and put back on over the weekend, weather permitting.

I asked dealer to remove my callipers, he gave them to me in a paper bag when i picked up the car. I’m leaving them off !
Fair enough, although I presume covers are also there to prevent road crap from getting into the actual callipers and causing a potential failure?

Fair enough, although I presume covers are also there to prevent road crap from getting into the actual callipers and causing a potential failure?
As they are just a cover to the real calipers, crap will probably get trapped between them and may be more of a problem.

As they are just a cover to the real calipers, crap will probably get trapped between them and may be more of a problem.
Thanks for your input. I think I'll leave them as they are. I'm sure XPOWER drivers can add your prediction of further braking problems to the list of concerns.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom