Replacement light sensor cover in situ

So I removed the cover using a plastic lever as not to damage anything.
Definite improvement.
Now debating whether to run without cover or to put a hole in that cover with a Dremel.
I also removed the sensor altogether just to see if it's a standard part that can be found with different specs or whether somehow it can be calibrated/programmed using an arduino board.

I bit the proverbial bullet and drilled a hole in the original cover.
Made it slightly wider, so that it looks a bit more oval than round.
Using a dremel bit, I initially thought I could simply polish the inside of the cover to let more light through without drilling a hole, but didn't make any difference.
I then cut out a make-shift cover out of a take-away clear plastic container, also matt finish but clear rather than dark in colour, and it worked really well, proof that the current sensor is not calibrated correctly.
Test drive this evening, all is well, definitely less sensitive to shadows in broad daylight, and lights now come on around the same conditions as my other car, which is maybe more sensitive than others but nowhere near as temperamental!
Tonight will be the real test, driving under street lights.

I gave up on the replacement in the OP (although it looked really pretty) because the lights were still coming on earlier than with no cover at all.

I'm very pleased with the replacement sensor I have now, which has a completely open top. Lights come on about lighting up time, same time other cars, and stay on.

I think there is enough wiggle room to put a clear polythene insert over the open section to protect the sensor from dust and retain the same functionality, but I haven't done it yet.

This way I still have the original sensor cover in case a future software update fixes the problem. (I know, I know...)

Tested it again last night and again this morning as part of my errands and it works flawlessly now! So so happy!

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 52
You can get various sizes of clear perspex discs from eBay which could be used to cover the sensor once the hole has been drilled.
1694855023948.png

I bit the bullet and drilled a 10mm hole in mine this morning and ordered a couple of 10mm clear perspex discs. I'll gently rub the back of one with some Scotch-Brite to create a frosted effect and see if that works. If not I'll replace it with a clear one.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back