Replacement light sensor cover in situ

I think they've got that programmed the wrong way round then, I'd rather have a longer delay before they come on so they don't switch on when I go under a bridge.
Don't think I'd want to drive 10 or more seconds into a dark tunnel before my headlights came on, don't mind that they stayed on after exit.

Maybe not as long as 10 seconds but 2 is too short.

Maybe not as long as 10 seconds but 2 is too short.

What I didn't check was what happens if I whip the magazine away againafter only one second, or if I re-cover the sensor after say eight seconds.

Later.

I'm sitting on a boat in Lanzarote, had a couple of 🍷🍷,that's my excuse 😅

Lucky you! I'm just sitting in my back garden in a bathing costume, drinking coffee.

So far reported
(1): Display on Dark mode auto-lights work as the driver expected;
(Many): Display not on Dark mode auto-lights do not work as drivers expected.

Time for a trial?

I noticed today that my lights were coming on when I passed under bridges on the M8, so it's either the Sellotape cover or the pattern of the cover. My next test is to cut away the pattern so there's only a full cutout. 🙂

I'm going to run the thing with the sensor in its birthday suit for a bit to get a baseline. I think your experience underlines what Kithmo said about 2 seconds being a bit short.

I still had the bloody things coming on with the cover removed completely. Not nearly as often, but sometimes going under a quite narrow bridge in full sunlight. I just switch the auto off every time now and have put the cover back on. It makes me think that it's not just the absolute brightness they monitor, but the change as well.

I'd got used to other cars where the system just worked. Come on MG this isn't exactly a complex system.

I have thought that there is some effect of contrast going on, but it's difficult to know because the eyes are so much more subtle and sensitive than any electronic equipment. But I ask myself, is it really darker under these trees when the sun is shining brightly than it is when it's cloudy? The lights don't trigger when it's cloudy.

I noticed today that my lights were coming on when I passed under bridges on the M8, so it's either the Sellotape cover or the pattern of the cover. My next test is to cut away the pattern so there's only a full cutout. 🙂

Which bridges, if you don't mind my asking? Do you think you were in their shade for more or less than two seconds?

If I remember right it was the "bridges" as you join the east-bound carriageway of the M8 from junction 15 (Cathedral), and then one or two of the bridges thereafter.

I think the contrast theory might hold true, as I've driven that route before in cloudy conditions and don't recall the lights coming on.

These are quite wide bridges, aren't they? (Funny how memory is - I drive that way a lot and I can't really visualise them.)

I'm hoping that with the sensor cover removed (and hopefully something in its place) it will only be necessary to turn the auto lights off when the day is very sunny. We'll see.

After DPD failed to deliver my 3D printed items and returned them to the sender, the guys at Midlands 3D Printing were very good at getting them resent via Royal Mail so I couldn't recommend them enough for anyone wanting to print this piece out.

Love how this ties in with the vents and lets plenty of light in, my light no longer come on in the early evening.

Attachments

• 20230707_193018.jpg
    20230707_193018.jpg
    920.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230707_193056 (1).jpg
    20230707_193056 (1).jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230707_193110 (1).jpg
    20230707_193110 (1).jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 62
I loved that design too, but although it was a big improvement, I was still getting the lights coming on when they shouldn't.
I got the other designs printed too, but this one has been a big improvement over the factory one so I'll trial it for a bit longer.

I contacted the printer about the open design but haven't heard back. I've had some trouble with my email and I think he may not have got the email. I'll try again next week.

I'm running the thing with no cover at the moment.

Quick question for those running without a cover or a holey cover. Have you noticed any change in the climate control behaviour? I see the solar sensor also feeds into that controller.

Not noticed anything. I think the climate control works very well - once you've realised that to get 23 degrees you have to set it at 28! (That's always been the case and hasn't changed when the sensor cover was removed.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back