Reset tyre pressure monitoring

grahamwalker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Does anyone know if it's possible to reset the tyre pressure alarm? My ZS shows front left tyre at 23 psi and all others at 25. It has a warning displayed. Inflated tyre to 30, still gave 'pressure' as 23 and have now reduced the pressure to 25, indicated pressure still 23. Is the pressure sensor in the tyre valve or the clever one that monitors the rotation of the brake disc? My ICE citroen had a reset function after tyre changes etc.

Car has to be driven for 10 mins over 15mph for rest 2.8 bar /41psi for gen2
Some times you can trick car by having it in ready mode then aid Air to tyre it wakes up the sensor
Edit just added a vid to give idea

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to reset the tyre pressure alarm? My ZS shows front left tyre at 23 psi and all others at 25. It has a warning displayed. Inflated tyre to 30, still gave 'pressure' as 23 and have now reduced the pressure to 25, indicated pressure still 23. Is the pressure sensor in the tyre valve or the clever one that monitors the rotation of the brake disc? My ICE citroen had a reset function after tyre changes etc.
We had this come up on ours the other day as the summer temperatures started to drop - as soon as I topped up the offending tyre (low by 0.1 bar) the TPMS picked this up and resets itself, nothing for us to do.

We had this come up on ours the other day as the summer temperatures started to drop - as soon as I topped up the offending tyre (low by 0.1 bar) the TPMS picked this up and resets itself, nothing for us to do.
Had a strange TPMS warning experience today.
We left our local supermarket today and about one mile down the road, the yellow TPMS bong warning was triggered and in turn, left the yellow tyre symbol displayed on the drivers binnacle.
Close by, was a empty lay-by.
I scrolled through the menu's, to see that the car was indicating that there was a problem with the N/S/F tyre pressure.
I jumped out of the car, expecting to see the tyre had deflated, but it looked fine ?.
It was raining cat's and dog's, so I returned to the car.
The car was still in the READY mode and we just sat there a while waiting for the rain to ease off.
A couple of minutes latter, we received another TPMS warning to say that the N/S/R tyre had a problem !.
Two minutes latter, it triggered a warning for the O/S/F tyre, then finally the N/S/R tyre.
All four tyres had a problem according to the TPMS system.
We had not run over a police stringer on the way back from our weekly shop, so what the hell is going on !.
Returned home and did a quick visual check on the four tyres, all looked visually okay.
Powered down the car and left it for about one hour, while we unpacked and had a bite of lunch.
Returned to the car and put the car back into READY mode.
It picked up the TPMS warning straight away.
Powered down the car and did tyre by tyre pressure check.
Each of the tyre's checked revelled it was about 2.0 PSI down, on the recommended pressures.
But the N/S/F ( where the first trigger started ) was nearly 3.5 PSI down on the pressure recommended.
I then set to work topping up all four tyres.
It was a bit hard getting the valve caps removed, as they are very recessed and hindered by fouling the edge of plastic wheel cover.
When complete, I jumped into the car and booted into the READY condition, as I intended to take the car for a short drive, in order to recalibrate the TPMS settings.
As soon as the car hit the READY state, the TPMS display was still displaying in the binnacle, but I could now see the new increased tyre pressure settings on the four wheels.
I was just preparing to drive away, there was another bong and the yellow TPMS warning light symbol had been removed from the binnacle, to be replaced with "All systems okay" and a blue smiley face symbol being displayed.
So, as @JohnInFrance states, the TPMS had appeared to reset itself, with out moving an inch.
I have not had to use the car after this morning, so hopefully it will be okay the next time I use it.
It was really odd how that initial N/S/F warning, triggered off a chain reaction on the remaining three other tyres ?.
It would appear that all of the tyres where a little down to the recommended pressures, but this could be down to the colder weather.
The N/S/F tyre DID have a 2 PSI discrepancy over the other three tyres, maybe THIS was the trigger point.
On previous VAG cars I have owned, the TPMS system works via the ABS system and not like the MG system, where it has an individual sensor in each wheel rim.
On the VAG system, it will detect if one of the tyres is under inflated, or has about 2 - 2.5 Psi discrepancy to the other tyres.
This may suggest, that the MG system has a similar tolerance level ?.
I know from personal experience, if you disconnect the 12 volt battery on the ZS EV Gen 2 it will in turn, lose all recorded readings from the TPMS display altogether.
It just displays two dashes on each of tyre read out displays.
Then a short drive IS required to restore the readings back again.
Edit :- Forgot to add, that ALL of these TPMS warnings, where sent to the iSmart App on my phone, so it works in that respect.

Last edited:
@Lovemyev just out of interest what psi did you do as gen2 likes to see 2.8bar 40.5psi and gen 1 likes 2.6bar 37.7psi I have seen 2.5 bar on my Gen2 but no warning
A lot of people will probably get warnings as temp drops

A 2 PSI discrepancy triggering a warning seems a bit tight as TPMS sensors are not exactly finely calibrated pieces of kit.
Appreciate it's not an MG, but my Volt's NSF always reads 2-3 PSI higher than all the others even when I have measured them to be all the same.
Regarding warnings as temperatures drop: that shouldn't be an issue as long as they all cool or heat together. The only time I've seen temperature to ping a warning is in summer when just one tyre had been sat in direct sunlight.

@Lovemyev just out of interest what psi did you do as gen2 likes to see 2.8bar 40.5psi and gen 1 likes 2.6bar 37.7psi I have seen 2.5 bar on my Gen2 but no warning
A lot of people will probably get warnings as temp drops
I set the tyre pressures according to the manufactures settings, that are displayed on the info label that can be found in the owners manual or on the label on the "B" post, as you open the drivers door.
For the face lift ( Gen 2 ) it recommends 41 Psi front & rear or 2.8 bar if you prefer.
In the summer time,I have seen the figure reported by the TPMS dance around a fair old bit, to be honest.
Any tyres that are in direct strong sun light, will display a higher reading than the tyres that in the shade of the sun.
That is why, I am a little puzzled why it decided to trigger a pressure issue on the N/S/F tyre today ???.
Which then in turn, triggered a chain reaction onto the other 3 corners of the car ???.
The next couple of days will relive all, I guess !.
To me it somehow matters not, what pressures your tyres are set at really, as far as the TPMS system is concerned, as long as they all equally match 100% to each other.
As I think the system is only triggered by any major discrepancies in an individual tyre, therefore detecting a possible loss of pressure in that single tyre, as a possible likely hood of a puncture ?.
Would it still trigger a warning, if a ALL of the tyres where equally pressure balanced, at a lower Psi setting, say 38 Psi ?.
I tend to think NOT to be honest.
The recommended tyre pressures FRONT & BACK are 41 Psi.
This strange and erroneous warning, still has me puzzled to be totally honest.

MG ZS EV Tyre PSI IMG_8283.jpg

Last edited:
Mine did the same started with one them with in 2 days all,just popped some air in started and with in 2 minutes it had reset

Mine did the same started with one them with in 2 days all,just popped some air in started and with in 2 minutes it had reset
Thanks for your post !.
We have used the car today and everything appears to be normal once again.
The tyre pressures are displaying 2.8 Bar in three of the tyres, but the O/S/F is at 2.9 Bar.
Slightly over inflated, but not worth worrying about.
I have two jumper packs, one in each car and both have the facility to inflate tyres built in also.
Plus we have the MG supplied inflation pump, but my guess would be that there will be a slight difference in what each units returns, in the way of accuracy on the inflation gauges.
I also have a second stand alone digital tyre pressure gauge arriving today, purely for comparison reasons really.
The accuracy tolerance will be slightly different on each of each unit is my best bet.
The important factor here is ensuring that every tyre is matched very close to the recommended figures laid down by the manufactures figures.
If EVERY tyre is very slightly under or over inflated, due mainly to the tolerances in the reporting gauge or LED display, then the TPMS will be happy.
When one tyre is over or under inflated ( maybe due to a puncture ) then this when the TPMS is likely to be triggered.
Still unclear why it triggers off a chain reaction of every tyre on the car though ?.
Well at least we know what is likely to happen.
The effected wheel / tyre first, then systematically set off the other warnings.
Oh ............ Plus you get the warnings pinged to your iSmart App.

The saga continues. I'm at the top of the thread. Had multiple spurious warnings in different systems and a service reccomendatio after 6 weeks of ownership from new.
Went to dealer, system software update and replacement TPMS on front left. All sorted. Following day n/s front tyre supposedly low on pressure. It isn't

The saga continues. I'm at the top of the thread. Had multiple spurious warnings in different systems and a service reccomendatio after 6 weeks of ownership from new.
Went to dealer, system software update and replacement TPMS on front left. All sorted. Following day n/s front tyre supposedly low on pressure. It isn't
I have a MG ZS petrol. I get low pressure warning on N/S/F tyre about every 10 wks or so. MG dealer couldn't find a puncture. I Just inflate the tyre when the warnings come on.

I have a MG ZS petrol. I get low pressure warning on N/S/F tyre about every 10 wks or so. MG dealer couldn't find a puncture. I Just inflate the tyre when the warnings come on.
If the tyre is losing pressure over 10 weeks, then it has a slow puncture or a leak from the tyre bead then surely ?.
At least you know the TPMS is working correctly 👍.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom