Resetting TPMS?

Ref winter/summer tyres, for my ICE Merc I have two sets of wheels with tyres and change them autumn and spring but it’s a real chore. Recently the place I go for tyres said that the new “cross climate” tyres are so good it’s not necessary now to have 2 sets.

Our last three Citroen’s have been running Michelin cross climate tyres all round for about the last eight years. They’re directional so can’t be swapped in the conventional way. But we never swapped them anyway and they were fine summer and winter. Also got much better wear out of them than expected- certainly no worse than “standard “ tyres.

They’re directional so can’t be swapped in the conventional way.
A lot of tyres produced today are directional which does not permit the diagonal rotation pattern often favoured by most.
But they can still be rotated in a front to back rotation format.
My previous VAG car had directional tyres fitted, but they where rotated every 5,000 miles ( front to back ) in line with the manufactures instructions.
You can’t do this with the ZS EV and I suspect the same with the MG5.
The car has a crazy TPMS system that remembers where each sensor on the car was programmed to that location.
After each rotation, the TPMS should be reset by the dealer.
I believe that if you rotate the wheels without resetting the TPMS then the system still functions, but you have to remember that the readings are inverted !.
So, what it reads as the rear - is now the front etc.
Stupid system !.
The VAG system does not need resetting, it reads from the ABS system and automatically learns the location and reports back via the module.
The MG system has a TPMS sensor located inside valve of each wheel.

I've used all season tyres for at least the last 5 years, and I wouldn't go back to regular tyres unless I had some sort of super car that really needed high performance summer rubber. My parents were so impressed with the performance of the tyres on the old Golf, they changed to Goodyear Vector all seasons for their Volvo.

Tyre Reviews on YouTube is a good channel for tests. He did a regular vs EV specific tyre test the other day, and I believe he's got an EV all seasons test coming up.

I've used all season tyres for at least the last 5 years, and I wouldn't go back to regular tyres unless I had some sort of super car that really needed high performance summer rubber. My parents were so impressed with the performance of the tyres on the old Golf, they changed to Goodyear Vector all seasons for their Volvo.

Tyre Reviews on YouTube is a good channel for tests. He did a regular vs EV specific tyre test the other day, and I believe he's got an EV all seasons test coming up.
I used to swap summer/winter wheels with Continental tyres but now I think I'll go with the new CrossClimate 2 (depending on his upcoming 2021 All Season review - due out this Monday). It seems to have addressed weaknesses in previous generation and improved rolling resistance.

The EV tyre review he did this week was interesting from a technical perspective of differences in an EV tyre - but since that Audi is massively heavy and powerful compared to any of the MG cars, not sure whether a dedicated EV tyre is really needed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom