Reverse Camera SE LR

One thing is bothering me waiting for my 73 plate MG4 SE SR is the lack of a reversing camera. I mean I really rely on it and made a mistake of not realising it doesn’t have one. Any help with this plz?
There are three options.

1. Buy a wireless reverse camera like we did and I would recommend fitting it to a registration plate holding frame as I installed, pictures earlier in this thread.

Advantages are that it is very simple to fit, and the display can sit on the mobile phone 'shelf'.

Disadvantages, because it is not hard wired you have to press a button to turn on the display before reversing (display on timeout can be set in options), and you have to charge the camera every two-three months.

2. Buy a hard wired reverse camera that taps into the reverse light wiring of the car.

Advantages are that it fits in more seamlessly with no intervention for charging and viewing.

Disadvantages, harder to install, questionable to do if the car is a lease due to tapping into the wiring.

3. Cancel the order and opt for a Trophy Model. The cost difference of which between a SE SR and such being the greatest of all disadvantage.

Note, options one and two do require the use of a dedicated display, there is unfortunately no way to connect camera and update infotainment firmware of a SE model to display reverse camera.

Ah thanks it’s got the sensors but I’ll have to try driving atm without using mine in my Kia niro to get used to it! I’m quite scared as MGs used to get laughed at but mines going to be pearl black and I love it and can’t wait 😆 thanks for replying 👍
To be honest I can reverse easier using my mirrors and I just use the camera for the last couple of metres. When you get the car just take your time and find a quiet area to practice so you get used to it's dimensions etc without any pressure.

To be honest I can reverse easier using my mirrors and I just use the camera for the last couple of metres. When you get the car just take your time and find a quiet area to practice so you get used to it's dimensions etc without any pressure.
Thankyou
Also I read people complaints about having to reset your driving preferences each time you get in. Can this be done via the MGISmart app on my phone before I get in?
I will be spending a whole day learning and getting used to it all. I’m soo excited 😊

There are three options.

1. Buy a wireless reverse camera like we did and I would recommend fitting it to a registration plate holding frame as I installed, pictures earlier in this thread.

Advantages are that it is very simple to fit, and the display can sit on the mobile phone 'shelf'.

Disadvantages, because it is not hard wired you have to press a button to turn on the display before reversing (display on timeout can be set in options), and you have to charge the camera every two-three months.

2. Buy a hard wired reverse camera that taps into the reverse light wiring of the car.

Advantages are that it fits in more seamlessly with no intervention for charging and viewing.

Disadvantages, harder to install, questionable to do if the car is a lease due to tapping into the wiring.

3. Cancel the order and opt for a Trophy Model. The cost difference of which between a SE SR and such being the greatest of all disadvantage.

Note, options one and two do require the use of a dedicated display, there is unfortunately no way to connect camera and update infotainment firmware of a SE model to display reverse camera.
Thankyou so much for your repy idk about the hard wiring

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for your reply and it’s a mobility car so idk about the hard wiring
Do you mean motability?, my wifes is a motability and any permanent modifications would need to be discussed, thus we went the wireless route, the minor inconvenience of turning on the display she is fine with her.

If it is motability, the other option before receipt is to cancel the order and reorder the trophy (increasing wait time). She would have gone for this option instead of the SE LR due to the change in upfront cost in the current June-August list of car, but ordered in the March-May list, and surprisingly received the car earlier than anticipated in the May.

Do you mean motability?, my wifes is a motability and any permanent modifications would need to be discussed, thus we went the wireless route, the minor inconvenience of turning on the display she is fine with her.

If it is motability, the other option before receipt is to cancel the order and reorder the trophy (increasing wait time). She would have gone for this option instead of the SE LR due to the change in upfront cost in the current June-August list of car, but ordered in the March-May list, and surprisingly received the car earlier than anticipated in the May.
Well it’s like this. I originally fancied a Stonic but the wait was Jan to March and I am impatient. She found this one the MG4 SE SR on display and “sold it me” with Charging ports etc included free now I thought I’ll give that a go.
Because I’m impatient that car is now Sold and is waiting for me to pick it up Oct 26th. I’ve been watching all I can about the car on Yt etc and found this forum which I’m well happy with for future probs chats and spotting other Mg4s lol. I even thought about ORA funky cat but … so what did your wife do just add a camera?

Well it’s like this. I originally fancied a Stonic but the wait was Jan to March and I am impatient. She found this one the MG4 SE SR on display and “sold it me” with Charging ports etc included free now I thought I’ll give that a go.
Because I’m impatient that car is now Sold and is waiting for me to pick it up Oct 26th. I’ve been watching all I can about the car on Yt etc and found this forum which I’m well happy with for future probs chats and spotting other Mg4s lol. I even thought about ORA funky cat but … so what did your wife do just add a camera?
As I said earlier I added the wireless camera, look earlier in this thread I have photos of it behind the registration plate frame I also added.

If I’d never had a reversing camera in the Niro I wouldn’t know any better. Now I’ve started not looking at it which maybe isn’t such a good idea as it’s due back next month!

I've bought this one, the cylindrical camera and the 5" screen. It is very professionally packaged, and unusually the instruction manual is both written in good english, has lots of instructions, and large enough text to read. No wires are needed for the camera, it is rechargeable and wireless.

I'll report back after fitting it, the charging of the camera takes 5 hours.

I found it odd that the Australian and New Zealand version (Excite) had a reversing camera as standard - Maybe a legal requirement in those countries and not here in the UK. Does anyone know if the camera is just not there or is it there and not connected / doesnt have the software to run it ?

Rob

MG Israel fits the reversing camera locally on all the the SE LR. You can see the video on the infotainment screen as soon as you put the car on R, just like in any other car :)

this looks pretty nice, although I have no installation experience
Has anyone tried to fit one of these yet? they seem to work seamlessly with MG's entertainment system...

I ordered this one, but now trying to figure out how to fit the camera without drilling any holes

Half of it is done, getting the camera box in and testing camera show picture on selecting reverse.

Now stuck at getting the boot-lid interior panel off to connect camera in desired place.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom