Reversing camera - where is it??

martintheb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
OK, this is an odd one, and I know I'm going to feel an idiot when I get the answer.

The view from my reversing camera is a bit grubby and blurred. It's started happening recently, after a load of muddy country roads and rain. So, first thought is to clean it.

But I can't see where it is...

Can anyone help, please? Perhaps a photo with an arrow pointing to it?

Thanks!

OK, this is an odd one, and I know I'm going to feel an idiot when I get the answer.

The view from my reversing camera is a bit grubby and blurred. It's started happening recently, after a load of muddy country roads and rain. So, first thought is to clean it.

But I can't see where it is...

Can anyone help, please? Perhaps a photo with an arrow pointing to it?

Thanks!
Just hunker down to the rear number plate level and you’ll see it quite plainly. Assuming you’re not like me with older stiffer hunker proof joints 🥴

Upvote 0
And of course, you're all absolutely right. I don't actually understand how I never spotted it when the boot was opened.

A bit of spit on a tissue and I can see backwards again!

Thank you all very much.

(This is one of the wonders of the internet. You want to know something, and you can't find it out easily. So you go to an active forum and ask politely - and someone will respond to tell you the answer. It's just great.)

Upvote 0
(This is one of the wonders of the internet. You want to know something, and you can't find it out easily. So you go to an active forum and ask politely - and someone will respond to tell you the answer. It's just great.)
Is it new to you then? :) :)

Upvote 0
And of course, you're all absolutely right. I don't actually understand how I never spotted it when the boot was opened.

A bit of spit on a tissue and I can see backwards again!

Thank you all very much.

Will advise you to sprinkle water/hose pipe/pressure wash. The view will progressively deteriorate if you repeat cleaning with tissue. Don't ask how I know...

Upvote 0
Is it new to you then? :) :)
Absolutely not :) - I'm comfortably old enough to remember when a computer filled a room. I spent my whole career in IT, watching computers getting smaller and faster with every year. I've had a personal computer since the early eighties; I have been on the internet since the mid-nineties. It's just that, every so often, I am reminded by how utterly remarkable computers and IT are, and how they have transformed our world.

It's a trivial thing, but thirty years ago the only way to find out where the camera was on the car would have been to go to a main dealer and ask someone in the service department. Now - I just have to do a search on the internet, and if that doesn't work (and it didn't!) just come on here and ask, and get a reply in six minutes!!

(Of course, thirty years ago, there wouldn't have been a camera on the car...)

Upvote 0
You are right of course, I was only teasing. :)

My career was in IT too, initially a programmer (in the 80s) then 3rd level tech support then project management. I can remember being an avid CompuServe chatter when the service was nearly new and I remember the excitement of upgrading my modem to a US Robotics 56k Sportster - I imagine early 90s. That's when CompuServe charged by the minute and I had to pay phone line costs - I think my monthly bill use to run into the hundreds of quid.

Yet I'm still amazed, mostly by phones and their capability, and recently by AI. And I enjoy tinkering with a fairly decent Home Automation setup.

Upvote 0
Absolutely not :) - I'm comfortably old enough to remember when a computer filled a room. I spent my whole career in IT, watching computers getting smaller and faster with every year. I've had a personal computer since the early eighties; I have been on the internet since the mid-nineties. It's just that, every so often, I am reminded by how utterly remarkable computers and IT are, and how they have transformed our world.

It's a trivial thing, but thirty years ago the only way to find out where the camera was on the car would have been to go to a main dealer and ask someone in the service department. Now - I just have to do a search on the internet, and if that doesn't work (and it didn't!) just come on here and ask, and get a reply in six minutes!!

(Of course, thirty years ago, there wouldn't have been a camera on the car...)
Us old ITers do like a gadget don't we.

Upvote 0
Will advise you to sprinkle water/hose pipe/pressure wash. The view will progressively deteriorate if you repeat cleaning with tissue. Don't ask how I know...
I put a bit of dishwasher rinsaid on a damp cloth to wipe it and that seemed to last acceptably.

Us old ITers do like a gadget don't we.
I do wonder just how high the percentage of IT related owners is for the mg5.

Upvote 0
So how many of you have got a Raspberry Pi (or two) in your drawer, ready for that good project you'll do one day? ;)
I don't. . . I've got an arduino. Unfortunately someone made the thing I got the arduino for so now it's waiting for a new project (to wait for).

Many, I expect. I'm always an early adopter of techie stuff. Just got rid of the 3D TV though :)
I did have a projector with 3D at one point but 3D glasses just give me a headache while I look at the two separate superimposed images 😅

Upvote 0
@martintheb I have 2 live 24x7 Pi's. The Pi4 is the Home Assistant system server. The Pi3 runs the nightly program to grab my Octopus consumption and write it to csv, personal VPN (handy as I can log into my home network when away!), torrent server and it used to have PiHole but I've migrated to AdGuard under HA. It used to capture my solar panel output but the program went wrong and I have more data than you can shake a stick at already :). I do tend to set things up then move onto something else fairly quickly!

Also have three or four of the original cheapo WiFi Pi's which I've mainly used as cameras when I have a need. I did some motion triggered photography to see the overnight wildlife in my garden once, also I did a year's time lapse of each side of my back garden (photo every minute), and a time lapse of some plants growing in a propagator - also tried some facial recognition and number plate recognition software but couldn't really think of a use for it.

Upvote 0
@martintheb I have 2 live 24x7 Pi's. The Pi4 is the Home Assistant system server. The Pi3 runs the nightly program to grab my Octopus consumption and write it to csv, personal VPN (handy as I can log into my home network when away!), torrent server and it used to have PiHole but I've migrated to AdGuard under HA. It used to capture my solar panel output but the program went wrong and I have more data than you can shake a stick at already :). I do tend to set things up then move onto something else fairly quickly!

Also have three or four of the original cheapo WiFi Pi's which I've mainly used as cameras when I have a need. I did some motion triggered photography to see the overnight wildlife in my garden once, also I did a year's time lapse of each side of my back garden (photo every minute), and a time lapse of some plants growing in a propagator - also tried some facial recognition and number plate recognition software but couldn't really think of a use for it.
The trouble is, there is a ready made device or software somewhere, usually not expensive, for doing all these things anyway. Hence I can't be a**ed, and I'll stick to buying the gadgets. :)

Upvote 0
The trouble is, there is a ready made device or software somewhere, usually not expensive, for doing all these things anyway. Hence I can't be a**ed, and I'll stick to buying the gadgets. :)
To be fair I bought the arduino when there wasnt a full size Bluetooth keyboard. But I didn't quite get round to finishing building one (in the intervening years) before one was released and fell to a reasonable price. I definitely love my gadgets even if I'm too impatient to wait for them to exist 😁

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom