Running a 12V fridge from MG4 LV Battery

Can't you buy a portable fridge with 240V input and use a V2L lead? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you buy a portable fridge with 240v input and use a V2L lead? Or am I missing something?
I thought about that, but i will be driving 2000+ kilometers so i cant use the v2l as i am driving. This might be an edge use case for an MG4 (to tour in), so most likely not what the plug or the entire circuitry is made to do.

1711747801909.png

Most likely a non-problem if we don't prepare food that needs to be refrigerated. Sometimes it's good to know when to throw in the towel on an idea.

I thought about that, but i will be driving 2000+ kilometers so i cant use the v2l as i am driving. This might be an edge use case for an MG4 (to tour in), so most likely not what the plug or the entire circuitry is made to do.

View attachment 25215

Most likely a non-problem if we don't prepare food that needs to be refrigerated. Sometimes it's good to know when to throw in the towel on an idea.
I'd get a fridge with 12V and 240V input. Use the 12V while on the road and the V2L while the car is not.

Will it then not still blow the fuse of the MG4's 12V line?
Or, do you say your fridge draws less amps?

Will it then not still blow the fuse of the MG4's 12V line?
Or, do you say your fridge draws less amps?
It's designed to be used in a vehicle, and run off a standard 12V socket, never had a problem in our van, and the cable also has its own fuse built in. I would expect it to run in the MG4 without issue too.

Just checked the specs, and my fridge draws a maximum of 2.7 amps. Maximum power is 32 watts.

In short, I think the summary is if you try to run the fridge around the clock from the onboard 12V battery you will be sad. The fridge requires way more energy than can be delivered by the 12V battery and you cannot rely on the dc-dc converter in the vehicle to charge the 12V from the traction battery.

Did anyone found a fridge that could work? I am planning a roadtrip and would love to get ideas and experiences. We don't need anything big, maybe even find something compact for between the front and the back seats?
This is the fridge I have, It draws about 3-4 amps when running, so not a lot. I was planning on a 90AH lithium battery to run it, so not an issue killing the standard 12V battery.
There are many smaller fridges.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/fr...e-freezer/kings-escape-40-fridge-freezer.html

There is the Brass Monkey fridge with battery compartment built in. A bit pricey when you add batteries, but you save the hassle of extra wiring, etc.

Both of those fridges are similar to mine, I noted on the first one that when set to fridge temperature (not freezer) it uses 1-1.3Ah, so a 90Ah battery is going to give you about 90 hours runtime. More than enough for a weekend away. Longer if you boost with solar or recharge while driving.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, at least there is a way. If end up using one in month i will update you here.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom