Save Settings

Ferretusmaximus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
There are many posts here and references in reviews regarding the Lane Assist function and how drivers turn it off every time they use the car. The secondary gripe to this is that the car forgets the changed setting each time you use the car. Some say the amnesia is due to the Euro NCAP system. It would appear that a solution to this dilemma while remaining compliant with the NCAP system would be for the car to allow you to save your settings (preferable two or more different sets to accommodate normal, long distance, etc). The car would start as it does now, and hopefully just one or two menu selections would allow you to select the settings appropriate to your journey. The Navigation system and Radio allow settings to be saved so why not other features? Views?

In theory it's a good idea and should be simple but unfortunately the function just isn't there with zero evidence that's it's ever likely to be.

The simplest way to have dealt with it would have been to do what most manufacturers do and just have a physical on/off button for LKA

There are many posts here and references in reviews regarding the Lane Assist function and how drivers turn it off every time they use the car. The secondary gripe to this is that the car forgets the changed setting each time you use the car. Some say the amnesia is due to the Euro NCAP system. It would appear that a solution to this dilemma while remaining compliant with the NCAP system would be for the car to allow you to save your settings (preferable two or more different sets to accommodate normal, long distance, etc). The car would start as it does now, and hopefully just one or two menu selections would allow you to select the settings appropriate to your journey. The Navigation system and Radio allow settings to be saved so why not other features? Views?
You are not the first to suggest this, many have, with a suitable 'driver' button to select your choices.

In theory it's a good idea and should be simple but unfortunately the function just isn't there with zero evidence that's it's ever likely to be.

The simplest way to have dealt with it would have been to do what most manufacturers do and just have a physical on/off button for LKA
Have any body worked a simply way for the Mg4 to remember a mobile phone, as mine does not, and a quicker way with the star button to disable LKA please

My MY22 SE SR remembers my phone - I have no issues in that respect.

LKA is not coded as an option on the star buttons, and there's no way that we (as mere owners) will be able to change that - at least not until such time (if ever) that MG releases details of their API to allow an ODB11 interface to make settings changes.

Top manufacturers improve their products by listening to customer feedback. Hopefully the MG marketing department monitors these sites to understand the views of the customer base. Many of the reviews I read or watched said "Good, but...", the "but" was always the same. Surely MG would like the reviews to say "Good and great value - buy it". Having spent 40 years in software development I know that Save Settings is not difficult - imagine trying to launch a new Smart Phone that didn't save your settings....

I have to agree that this is undoubtedly the most frustrating aspect of my new MG4. I've been searching in the vain hope that there was a solution to persist the settings, particularly the lane assist feature. My wife's Toyota CHR also has this feature but we have left it enabled on her car as it is much more benign. I find the lane assist on the MG4 to be extremely aggressive and probably even dangerous. I was driving on the motorway recently and there was an arrow in the centre of the lane pointing towards an exit lane. The MG4 mis-recognised this as a lane marker and attempted to force me off the motorway. Gave me an awful fright. Since then I've disabled it on every journey and it is annoying to have to do so. If they even softened the lane assist a bit I would probably tolerate leaving it on but, at this point, I don't think it is safe to drive with lane assist enabled and it is definitely not a good driving experience, particularly on narrower roads. I really do hope that they come up with a solution to this issue soon as it really detracts from what is, otherwise, a great little car.

I suggest everyone in this thread start contacting MG through their contact page and request that driving features stay in memory. It's not just the safety features that get forgotten. One pedal driving and Eco drive mode for example have to be set every time you go on a new journey - very frustrating, as having single pedal driving is one of the main features that got us over the line to buy this car...

Here is the contact link for the UK: Contact Us

MG - if you are reading this forum, please count this as a vote to have setting features memory added!

I have to agree that this is undoubtedly the most frustrating aspect of my new MG4. I've been searching in the vain hope that there was a solution to persist the settings, particularly the lane assist feature. My wife's Toyota CHR also has this feature but we have left it enabled on her car as it is much more benign. I find the lane assist on the MG4 to be extremely aggressive and probably even dangerous. I was driving on the motorway recently and there was an arrow in the centre of the lane pointing towards an exit lane. The MG4 mis-recognised this as a lane marker and attempted to force me off the motorway. Gave me an awful fright. Since then I've disabled it on every journey and it is annoying to have to do so. If they even softened the lane assist a bit I would probably tolerate leaving it on but, at this point, I don't think it is safe to drive with lane assist enabled and it is definitely not a good driving experience, particularly on narrower roads. I really do hope that they come up with a solution to this issue soon as it really detracts from what is, otherwise, a great little car.
Have you got LkA and lane assist as l have in my 23reg, and lucky enough lane assist stay defaulted, which does help. Thanks for finding the connection to mg, which l have explained the car would be brilliant if we could set the settings that we want, and they stayed default

Sick of having to turn on one pedal and regen settings?

Please sign and share this petition far and wide, on other MG forums etc.
Lets send a message to MG that they need to upgrade the software on the MG4 to allow drivers to save their personal settings.
Not having this feature is not only an inconvenience but dangerous as drivers are now making these changes as they drive.
Want to make a difference, sign the petition.
Don't own an MG4 but don't like the idea of drivers being distracted and making changes while driving, sign the petition.

I tried posting this already but couldn't verify. I'm bored waiting for wife so been trying different thing. Went to mg pilot, turned off LKA then held down physical home button until software reboots. Shut down car and locked and waited a few times and LKA has stayed off. Driving mode still reverts to normal every time though. Not sure it will last but it's fun trying.

When you've been checking LKA status have you pressed the brake pedal first? (LKA status doesn't go into its final state until the car is in the READY state).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back