Say Hello

Hi mgmt and welcome on board the forum there is a thread here for the MG4 as you may well know and for any question you have you will likely find answers there in that thread but if not do not be afraid to ask.
Les

Welcome to the MG EVs general chat forum. Please say hello and introduce yourselves.

I'll kick things off with a bit about me.
I have only owned one EV - a Hyundai Ioniq delivered in September 2017 (after a 6 month wait!).
I love the car and have very few issues with it. However, I would like something with more range eventually, and will probably change it some time in 2022 for either a Tesla Model Y or maybe an Aptera when they become available in the UK.
My background is running a forum (AVForums), which I have done since 2000, so it seemed like a good idea to start a forum about the MG ZS EV.
And that's how I got here.
Hello all
Just changed from a Ford Kuga PHEV to an EV4 trophy In black.
One month in I’m very happy with the car and drive, my only issue is with Octopus intelligence go set up.
I think the car could do with audible sensors at the front but perhaps that’s just a personal quibble!

Hello all
Just changed from a Ford Kuga PHEV to an EV4 trophy In black.
One month in I’m very happy with the car and drive, my only issue is with Octopus intelligence go set up.
I think the car could do with audible sensors at the front but perhaps that’s just a personal quibble!
Hi, welcome to the forum.
The MG4 does not work with IOG you need a compatible EVSE like an Ohme or Wallbox

I do not think I have introduced myself. Im Rob aka Artful 51 on Wednesday from South Somerset UK, I live in a rural location so my cars are always dirty. I am a HGV driver with Suez Recovery and Recycling. I am currently waiting delivery of a MG4 SE Standard Range in White (Tusker/Salary Sacrifice) due to my income and the rules regarding national minimum wage I could only have either White or Blue and being our family car is a Iron Blue Renault Captur Engineered(Bought this year on PCP) I had really to have White. We have previously have had EV's a 2013 Renault Zoe 22 kW Zen which was plagued with issues and over the 4 years we owned it had its internal charging system replaced 3 times. Our next EV was a 2018 Zoe ZE40 Dynamic Nav which I traded in for the Captur after the charger went on the wife's zoe the 3rd time. I currently have a Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport (Which I am keeping). We live in a Housing association property due to our son being autistic and do not have a drive or the ability to fit a home charger, we have always used a standard 3 pin socket and worked around that - Yes it was a challenge when we had 2 EVs but luckily we both work locally and just alternated which car was plugged into the granny charger. I occasionally took them for a more rapid charge on 22 kW posts but it was not our main charging solution.

My MG4 is being delivered on Wednesday 1st November and I am really looking forward to being back in an EV. Yes there are issues with the MG4 but the car has only been out a year so these things are common and not just issues with MGs cars.

I have been enjoying reading and commenting on the posts within the forum, learning as much as I can about the issues so know what I am in for next week.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have issues with OCPP.
This was this mornings charge.
Screenshot_20231023-160646_Wallbox.jpg

Hi there. I've had a Leaf 24kWh followed by a Leaf 30kWh which I've had for over 9 years and done very well out of. Just switched to an MG4 (6 months ago), which is different, but a good car. Rather over-engineered in some ways, but better in others. Loving the 64kw range (why we got it) but not so the glitchy tech. But never regretted getting an EV all those years ago.

Hello everyone! I'm Leonard. I thought I would share my experience and say hi. My wife and I are the proud owners of a new MG 4 Luxury in Volcanic Orange. We picked up the vehicle on October 13th. It was a bit of a 'bumpy ride' to get the car but once we had it everything was great.

I'm an American living in Luxembourg with my Dutch wife who came here to teach. We're both going 'back to school' to hopefully get better jobs, etc. We wanted a reliable car to travel to school. We do have great public transport but Luxembourg is a "hub and spoke" system and live at the end of a spoke and school is at the end of another spoke with a much longer commute because of it.

We had a 2006 VW Golf that I was just sure I could fix but it eventually died of headgasket failure after a €10 sensor failed. So it went to the great car heaven in Ethiopia.

We first looked at a VW id.3, an id.Buzz (AWESOME but way too expensive), and even rented an id.4. We liked them all, but when we saw the prices, and the interest rates, it was just about impossible.

We saw that MG had opened a local dealership and heard about the MG4 and its price. So we took a test drive and immediately ordered a 2023 MG 4 Luxury. We were told it was in stock with a black roof. We asked for all-season tires (we have mild winters but M+S tires are required). And when we went to pick it up, we were very pleased to have the tires included, a granny cable and 22 kW cable as well.

But the roof was orange! My wife's jaw hit the floor. She was in love with the black roof. They offered to wrap the roof, which came out perfectly, and we are very happy.

So far, we've hit 1,000 km in the two weeks we've had it. I have to resist 'just going for a drive' as we're trying to save money to get through school. But I get excited every time I get to drive it.

I have some notes. First, I can confirm that the Luxury edition will do 171 kph on the Autobahn. In my situation, this test must be conducted without the wife.

Second, launch control does seem to work. This gets cries of protest from the wife, so the new policy is 'no launch control with the wife'.

Third, rear-wheel-drive is surprisingly fun to drive. I thought it would be squirrely, and I guess that's still possible, but it's fun to 'step out' the back a little in a wet corner. I should probably add, not with the wife.

Fourth, the glitches. Yeah, I've had some minor glitches, but nothing I couldn't overcome by trying again. The one that most concerns me is that the digital key got 'stuck' the other day and wouldn't unlock the car. I had to walk back and grab the key fob.

Accessories. The Brotech screen protectors make a huge difference. #1 upgrade. I also ordered the V2L adapter, though wife is resisting my use of it to make espressos at school. We'll see. I also ordered touch-up paint and a protector for the center console piano black.

So, hi. Thanks for all of your posts. I found a lot of info here that helped me make good decisions about the car. You're the best.

Drive safe and take care!
Leonard & Kayleigh

Attachments

• 20231013_174048.jpg
    20231013_174048.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231018_160031.jpg
    20231018_160031.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

New MG4 EV long range became possible due to lease hire salary sacrifice - so super fast learning curve from a life of diesel and petrol.

I think I love the car, just teething issues. Arrived with a stone chip in the screen so needing to organise a windscreen replacement via lease company is proving… fun. Tyre pressure alerts on its second ever drive and blowing a fuse on the inflator - more fun.
Getting a home charger installed is proving educational, I now know a lot more about domestic electric installations than maybe I wanted to.

Persuading Scottish Power to install a functional smart meter, persuading it to talk to the mothership and ask them to give us an EV tariff has proved an exercise in frustration and futility.

Persuading the MGi app to talk to the bound car - currently just not happening. I work in IT, I refuse to let it beat me.

Developing a hatred of lane assist and it’s insistence…

Struggle with the concept of it only turning off when you use the key or go into the menu. Took a while to work out how to only as one door to open rather than all 4, and I find the internal lighting dark.

Hopefully these things will pass and then I can enjoy the ride, range and looks of my car a bit more.

It’s certainly proving that an old dog can learn new tricks.

I will love it when I’m used to it…

Hi everybody. I started as a software dev at an EV charging company last November and decided it was probably time that I was able to eat my own dogfood as it were so I've put in an order on an MG4 SE which should be delivered back end of October.

Looking forward to fielding everyone's complaints about the UK charging network 😊
So far, having a fast charger in a local pub car park and one around the corner from work.. great experience (except for a short hose) - so Osprey and ESB have been good to me! Hope to need them less when I get a home charger…

Two weeks into this new EV world - change in company car strategy with a salary sacrifice scheme saw me go from diesel to electric. So far? Pretty good!
Car is fab to drive, charging has been decent - the help team at ChargePlace Scotland have been immense any time I've phoned - and a surprising lack of range anxiety.
Home charger, which I thought would be simple given I have my own drive-way and garage, etc was shambolic. British Gas wanted me to dig up my garden and create a trench for them to lay cables - their customer service was hopeless - while an EV company suggested ripping up carpets until they found a hatch to go under the floorboards. Still waiting on them coming back with a quote. Either way, it was going to cost four figures.
There's a fab fast charger at a pub a few minutes up the road, so I go there, plug in, order food, and work! Chargers at train station, in town centre and near office so, fingers crossed, we'll not run out of power!
Still getting to grips with all the buttons on the dashboard, and only just getting the app sorted as I completely forgot about it, but YouTube tutorials have been brilliantly helpful.

Hi. Just got my 2021 MG5 EV, very happy so far. Had numerous MG's over the last 20 odd years, still got 3 :)

Hi stux99 and welcome aboard the forum you will find here lots of information about your vehicle but if you can’t find what your looking for at anytime just used the search box above top right or post your question and someone here will have and give you an answer the gold rule is don’t be afraid to ask this platform was set up to help EV owners.
Les.

Last edited:
Hi. Just got my 2021 MG5 EV, very happy so far. Had numerous MG's over the last 20 odd years, still got 3 :)
Just remember the 5 isn't really an MG. If you want the family roots of the MG5, that is based on:

The Roewe Ei5, which is based on:
The Roewe i5, which is based on:
The Roewe 360, which is based on:
The Roewe 350, which is based on:
The Buick Excelle, which is based on:
The Hyundai Lacetti

Beyond that the trail gets muddier (if it wasn't muddy enough already) but it seems there's lots of related GM hardware and possibly a SsangYong connection.
So there.
The above was put together via a lot of trawling and should be regarded as nothing more than something that could range from apocryphal to wildly inaccurate

Just remember the 5 isn't really an MG. If you want the family roots of the MG5, that is based on:

The Roewe Ei5, which is based on:
The Roewe i5, which is based on:
The Roewe 360, which is based on:
The Roewe 350, which is based on:
The Buick Excelle, which is based on:
The Hyundai Lacetti

Beyond that the trail gets muddier (if it wasn't muddy enough already) but it seems there's lots of related GM hardware and possibly a SsangYong connection.
So there.
The above was put together via a lot of trawling and should be regarded as nothing more than something that could range from apocryphal to wildly inaccurate
Hey - my five is absolutely genuine MG - it says so on both the tail and its snout. And the conclusive proof is that after a wonderful trip yesterday to see a fabulous Aurora in Cellardyke in the Kingdom of Fife this five is very very muddy indeed !!😉

Last edited:
Good morning just a quick post to introduce myself. I took delivery of my first EV an MG4 Trophy 10 days ago so have not driven it too much. Ive spent the holiday period reading the forum.

In that time I have found a number of issues that need attention.

The current list is:

Bluetooth dropping out every time the car is locked.
Radio loosing favourites
The infotainment is at R40(forty) not 46 which may be the cause of the above.
The most worrying is the huge bulge in the leading edge of the rear under tray.

So its back to the dealer and see what their response is.

Looking forward to getting out and putting some miles in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom