scheduled cabin preheat?

Did you set the actual charge % in the car with no car schedule of any sort. Ensure the charger is dumb?
Not doubting you just nailing down the procedure to make sure that it doesn't provide a work around.

Alan
I set the % on my cars app which I assume is the same? If it wasn't it'd be pointless because you wouldn't go out to tmyiur car to change it.

I didn't try it with no schedule because this test is to see what you can do as a workaround whilst sat in your house after a night's charge. In reality you would have a schedule on for the next day. I have mine on every day and if I plug it it will charge, if not it won't.

It may work some other way but it wouldn't help in this situation.

Apologies what I was suggesting is this to start with. No app setting purely car

Set schedule in car from start of cheap tariff until midday for example with a charge rate set to, again for example 80% if possible in the car hoping that level would be achieved during that tariff.

I don't know if setting in the app is the same so can't comment on that.

This would allow a schedule to still be in place but perhaps, and it's a big perhaps, allow preheat with the car plugged in because the schedule is still active even though it has reached the set %

It works with a manual charge, car plugged in with no schedule set, as others have stated in this thread. That indicates to me the issue is not being able to override the car schedule hence this experiment to see if helps. If not nothing lost.

Alan

Any updates on this please? Even if can't schedule is it possible to switch on the heater via the app on the SE SR or the Trophy?

Any updates on this please? Even if can't schedule is it possible to switch on the heater via the app on the SE SR or the Trophy?
I can turn the heater on using the app with our Trophy..... but it seems a bit variable what will actually happen with our car. I tried it yesterday after a scheduled charge overnight while the cable was still plugged in and the heater turned on but, a short while afterwards, the car started charging again. So I plugged in again this morning and turned the heater on with the app. Again, the heater came on fine but this time the car started charging straight away and the lights turned on! The lights and heater didn't turn off after unlocking the car to remove the cable and then locking it again. I had to do both manually. It all seems a bit random on my car!
We're going out a bit later so, if I remember, I'll try turning the heater on with the app while the charge cable is not plugged in to see what happens then.

Hi all, slightly off-topic question but can anyone tell me if the cabin pre-heating only works when the vehicle is plugged into a charger, or will it work when you're out and about? I'd like to pre-heat before I leave work over winter. I'm not fussed abut scheduling. (Don't have a car yet). Many thanks, Andy.

Yes, it'll work (for 10 minutes at a time) anywhere. (I don't have my car yet either, but that's what I've read).

Hi all, slightly off-topic question but can anyone tell me if the cabin pre-heating only works when the vehicle is plugged into a charger, or will it work when you're out and about? I'd like to pre-heat before I leave work over winter. I'm not fussed abut scheduling. (Don't have a car yet). Many thanks, Andy.
At the moment, my pre heating will not switch on while the car is plugged in to charger, it will only switch on if unplugged. my car is going in for oil leak fix and software updates next Wednesday and I’m hoping this issue will be fixed.

Yes, it'll work (for 10 minutes at a time) anywhere. (I don't have my car yet either, but that's what I've read).
Does it work like Nissan, on the Leaf you can tell it what time to turn on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-142228_Nissan EV.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-142228_Nissan EV.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
Does it work like Nissan, on the Leaf you can tell it what time to turn on.
No there is no timer for the pre heat.
Genuinely can't see why it couldn't be added to the app though.
Set a time and the server sends the message to the car.
I'm still not keen on the car lights coming on though when it's preheating.
You don't want your car lit up like a Xmas tree while you're not near it.
Drawing attention.
Would be better if they stayed off.
Imagine parking up in town and thinking, I'll warm the car up in the car park before I get back to it
But it's out of sight and catching th attention of some unsavoury types by being lit up, thinking they'll have a bit of it...
Stealth would be far better

Not entirely true
Just tried mine now after completing a 100% charge and a Balance
No timer involved on the charger or car though, as its a work charger.

Preheat worked fine via the app with the Charger Cable still connected but not charging.
even changed the heat from 17 deg to Max via the app and the fan kicked into another gear whilst i was stood nearby.
What I don't like is the car lit up like a xmas tree while its doing it
View attachment 11698

Side lights and rear lights on, kind of a silly idea, I know they're LED so will be low power draw but even so, it will attract attention.
The charger also kicked back in once again, when the pre heat was started
Pulling about 3kw according to the app.

So it does seem to work ok
on mine anyway
SE SR
My MG is ZS 2022 pre-heat function works fine if it’s plugged in or not plugged in all Operated via the app no problem at all

In general the software seems quite reluctant to let you remotely control the HVAC at all: sometimes doesn't connect, won't work if at max charge target, no scheduled preconditioning, only active for 10 mins, once that expires no further remote HVAC within ~45 mins. Bit of a shame really as getting into a nice warm car in the winter was one of the features I was most looking forward to in my first EV.
Is this still the case as I can keep putting my HVAC on from the app numerous times as soon as it's finished most times so far is 3

Mine let's me set remote HVAC twice in succession then gives me an alert that further sessions are blocked for a period. I've not actually tried setting a 3rd remote HVAC session within that period though.

But as per the original question - no, I can't set remote HVAC if plugged in and not charging.

This topic/issue is still rumbling on though, On my Trophy, I can Pre-Heat the cabin whilst plugged in and charging, but, under no other conditions. It is really random how some cars will Pre-Heat whilst plugged in and charging, some while Plugged in and not charging and others when not plugged in at all.... I would just love an answer on what the conditions should be and then be the same for all!!!!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back